Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change supervisor?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 11:40pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know if it's possible to change supervisor? I'm trying to do a masters in research, I'd prefer not to say where. I've had a bad working relationship with my supervisor from the beginning and it has made life very difficult to put it mildly.

I'm at the stage where I'm ready to walk away from it, the college have told me if I do this I will not be able to do a masters again, is this true?

Any advice please

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

It should be a most uncomplicated process. All higher education institutions should now have post-graduate committees to sort such issues out. Sometime people just don’t get on. The responsibility is with the institution, not you or the supervisor (but you do of course have a part to play). Contact the head of department, put it plainly and rationally, but carefully and organise for a transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Would agree with TJJP, but considering what the college said you I would be careful who you contact about the switch. I don't think they are correct at all, you would have to pay fees if you started a new masters but you wouldn't be prevented from doing it. If there is a lecturer that you've gotten on with in the past or can talk to they might be a good starting point to figure out what the procedure is in your college rather than going straight to the head of the dept, who may or may not be sympathetic to your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I know at least one person who has changed supervisor recently. I don't know the reason why they changed, but it was possible.

As for not being able to do another masters having dropped out of one - I've never heard of that and doubt it's entirely accurate. It would be the same as saying that if an undergrad dropped out of one degree that they couldn't do another one at a later date. Perhaps they meant that you couldn't do the same masters course again?

Anyway, does your department have a staff member who is the postgraduate director for the department? Perhaps you could have a chat with them about it and see if you could resolve the issue. Talking to the co-ordinator of your masters would also be a good idea. The head of the department would also be somebody you could contact. Though, as mentioned before, if you get on well with a specific lecturer and you feel they're appraochable, it would be a good idea to have a chat with them and ask their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'm ready to walk away from it, the college have told me if I do this I will not be able to do a masters again, is this true?
    convert wrote: »
    As for not being able to do another masters having dropped out of one - I've never heard of that and doubt it's entirely accurate. It would be the same as saying that if an undergrad dropped out of one degree that they couldn't do another one at a later date. Perhaps they meant that you couldn't do the same masters course again?

I'd also doubt this, perhaps you qualify for free fees and this is what the college referred to? If you were to drop-out (not advised btw) you might find yourself landed with full EU fees were you to register for an alternative programme in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread ('tis easter) but this never got resolved, I took two years out. The stuff about not being able to do another masters was BS from the supervisor.

Long story, but the college wrote to me recently wanting to know if I intended going back to complete this. The only way, AFAIK to change supervisor was to make a formal complaint, which I didn't do. I just need a few ppl's opinions on what to do, should I try meet with them and see what can be done or should I stay away? Personally I don't want to go back with the same supervisor.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

blue5000 wrote: »
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread ('tis easter) but this never got resolved, I took two years out. The stuff about not being able to do another masters was BS from the supervisor.

Long story, but the college wrote to me recently wanting to know if I intended going back to complete this. The only way, AFAIK to change supervisor was to make a formal complaint, which I didn't do. I just need a few ppl's opinions on what to do, should I try meet with them and see what can be done or should I stay away? Personally I don't want to go back with the same supervisor.

It's hard to drop a supervisor, and the formal complaint route doesn't always work to your benefit and could damage future career prospects (I in no way agree with this, but that's just the way it is unfortunately). How about this suggestion: arrange for a co supervisor, once this person is aboard you can make sure that all three of you are present at meetings - its truly amazing how much some individuals attitudes change when a 3rd party is present. All going well, the new person could become your primary supervisor over time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I agree with avalon - I had a horrible supervisor who wasn;t so horrible in the presence of a co-supervisor! Nonetheless, is there a postgrad support officer (or similar) in your college? I went to mine wondering about changing supervisor and got a form and brilliant advice immediately. Never actually went through with the change but it helped to know it could be done and that I had the power to request it. Also this didnt involve formal complaints or anything like that.

For what its worth, a mate has added a co-supervisor recently, again no bother there. They managed it by talking to a postgrad rep (a fellow student).

good luck!

Advertisement