Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me figure out these co-ordinates?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I took a gps tagged pic last year I think, looking at the metadata, I see funny looking co-ordinates (see image).

How do I make sense of these and convert them to a decimal format so that I can use them in google maps etc?

Many thanks

attachment.php?attachmentid=120418&stc=1&d=1279235119

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

The simplest method for using on google maps, is what you already have - just lose a pile of "0"s. Round those crazy decimals up, as you shouldn't need any more than 4 places.

Paste any of these into google maps

A) 53°22'14.7900", -007°48'55.9001" (Degrees, Minutes & Seconds)

B) 53°22.24650', -007°48.93167' (Degrees & Minutes)

C) 53.3707750°, -007.8155278° (Degrees, Lat & Long)

This is of course, assuming that the pic was taken in Ireland, i.e the -007 degrees.
    If it's not -007 degrees, but plus 007 degrees, then the pic was taken somewhere in northern Netherlands! :)

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Thanks for the reply, it's the formatting and the rounding that get's me and also why is the latitude a minus number? (and why not a minus number on the photos metadata?)

It could be the way the gps unit is setup. What did you use? It may not have the ability to record a minus symbol, but it should have a "W" in there somewhere to indicate West. You often see W 007, without a "-" which is the same thing.

E.G. N53°22'14.7900", W007°48'55.9001" will get you the same location in google maps.

By right, you could have a + or - Lat. and Long.

+ Lat. is North of the equater, - Lat is South

+ Long. is East of Greenwich, England, and - Long. is West.

HTH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Thanks mrmac

I used a HTC Touch HD with Windows Mobile

Oh, way too fancy for me! :)

/goes for a rummage!

I have an ATP Photo Finder Mini yoke, that will geotag your pics. I must hook it up someday and figure out how it works!

• Advertisement
Advertisement