Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 24Mb, Can I achieve better speed?

• 16-07-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Here are some stats

Eircom 24Mb
    Connection Speed: 17405 kbps (down), 765 kbps (Up)
    Line attenuation: 13.4 db (down), 19.2 db (Up)
    Noise Margin: 10.7 db (Down), 19.2 db (Up)

881100456.png

Speed can vary from 10mbps to 15mbps (15 is rare)
    Downloads vary from 1000KB/s to 1700KB/s depending on route, server, download managers etc. I have had a look at speedguide.net and played around with optomisers etc but nothing seemed to make much difference.

I live rurally about 1km from exchange and do not suffer from contention much. Is there anything I can do to squeeze a bit more out of this line ?

Many thanks for any advice

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Probably not, does the variance co incide with rain ?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

you could always ring them up and ask them to move you upto the next profile or say around 20mb and see how it goes, if its not very stable and connection drops a lot get it lowerd down again, if connection holds up and works fine aske to try the next one up

i was originally synced up at 12mb and was getting a speed of 9-10mb, so got moved up to the next one of 15mb and the connection works fine now with a average speed of 12-13mb, so id give that a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

dazdrog wrote: »
    you could always ring them up and ask them to move you upto the next profile or say around 20mb and see how it goes, if its not very stable and connection drops a lot get it lowerd down again, if connection holds up and works fine aske to try the next one up

i was originally synced up at 12mb and was getting a speed of 9-10mb, so got moved up to the next one of 15mb and the connection works fine now with a average speed of 12-13mb, so id give that a try

Many thanks dazdrog

What do you mean by profile?
    Who would I phone? Is there a local or national number?

dnme wrote: »
    Many thanks dazdrog

What do you mean by profile?
    Who would I phone? Is there a local or national number?

ring up the broadband support and ask if you can have your speed profile moved up to the next one, i think its 20mb but i could be wrong, they will do this for you no probs, if they say they cant do it as line will be unstable blaa bla just tell them you want to try it anyway and that you can always ring back if it dont hold up, i had them telling me my line couldnt hold the 15mb profile, and what a load of cock that was, works fine with not one drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

dazdrog wrote: »
    ring up the broadband support and ask if you can have your speed profile moved up to the next one, i think its 20mb but i could be wrong, they will do this for you no probs, if they say they cant do it as line will be unstable blaa bla just tell them you want to try it anyway and that you can always ring back if it dont hold up, i had them telling me my line couldnt hold the 15mb profile, and what a load of cock that was, works fine with not one drop

I posted the ask on their forum and was put on the 20Mb profile within minutes. I will continue to test it over the coming days but so far I notice a varying boost in free download manager (hitting 1900KB/s+ which it never did before). Speedtest.net varies from 10Mb to 15Mb - no change there. I downt think speedtest is very accurate as you are dependant on the host server, I always use dublin and it varies from one minute to the next. I find a more reliable test to be the download of url.ie/qv

Anyway thanks for the advice, I'm a happy bunny regardless now that I know that you can ask eircom to change your profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Your line stats suggest you may not get anymore out of the line due to a low SN margin..putting up your line profile say to 20mb could make it unstable.be happy you can even get them speeds the lines where i am have a max of 8mb and us close to the biggest town in ireland (Drogheda) id say maybe give eircom a call and see what they can do but i doubt if you will get much more out of the line !!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

jay93 wrote: »
    Your line stats suggest you may not get anymore out of the line due to a low SN margin..putting up your line profile say to 20mb could make it unstable.be happy you can even get them speeds the lines where i am have a max of 8mb and us close to the biggest town in ireland (Drogheda) id say maybe give eircom a call and see what they can do but i doubt if you will get much more out of the line !!:)

10.7 dB is plenty stable. I had an ADSL2+ line which worked at ~19000 kbps and with a signal margin of about 5 or 6 dB, and no interleaving turned on. The line never dropped once. Signal margin tends to fluctuate less if the line is very short.

And that line had attenuation of 28.5dB and still managed 19 mbps. The line above has half that. Most modems will work at a speed that gives them a signal margin of 6dB and no lower, to maintain stability. I think the next step up would likely work fine and the worst that can happen is they drop the speed back down to the previous limit.

10.7 dB is plenty stable. I had an ADSL2+ line which worked at ~19000 kbps and with a signal margin of about 5 or 6 dB, and no interleaving turned on. The line never dropped once. Signal margin tends to fluctuate less if the line is very short.

And that line had attenuation of 28.5dB and still managed 19 mbps. The line above has half that. Most modems will work at a speed that gives them a signal margin of 6dB and no lower, to maintain stability. I think the next step up would likely work fine and the worst that can happen is they drop the speed back down to the previous limit.

mine drops to a low of 3dB and never drops the connection, its on 3dB right now, so it defo depends on the line in question

Line State Up
    Modulation ADSL2+
    Data Path Fast

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 15176 765
    SN Margin (dB) 3.40 15.70
    Line Attenuation (dB) 33.50 15.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

speed im gettin

Download Speed: 12964 kbps (1620.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 637 kbps (79.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

20507016.png

Advertisement