Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work

Options
  • 16-07-2010 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've just started in a new job. Not there two weeks yet, and have some concerns.
    Not about they money, I know I will be getting min wage, and I know it will be paid.
    But my supervisor has painted a negative picture of another worker to me stating that she has a problem with her, because of a, b and c. I Don't think this was a necessary part of my induction, and don't want to engage in gossip about other employees.

Should I mention it to my manager? Should I put it in writing?
    Is it relevent that the girl who's character she marred is Irish, and She herself is Eastern European, and she has no problem giving me good reports about her eastern european colleagues?

There is a certain amount of vying for hours in the job, and I feel like I'm at a disadvantage, because of my Nationality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nworker wrote: »
    I've just started in a new job. Not there two weeks yet, and have some concerns.
    Look at how the other colleague is. As you don't say what a, c or c is, see if what the supervisor says is true. I've come across lazy bastads from all countries, so your supervisor may be just trying to warn you of who not to trust to do a job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It sounds like your supervisor was telling you that a,b and c behaviours are not what she expects to see you doing.

I have in the past been specifically warned against being seen too much with another colleague (who was subsequently let go even though they had much more service than me!)

As you have just started this job your priority should be to create a good impression. Remember you can be let go anytime with practically no reason while on probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

For now, just keep quiet, note and learn. Its too early to have a reliable opinion about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Learn and improve at your job OP.
    This person might be constantly swopping shifts and then not showing up and then you get in trouble. General messing like this.

Do your job flawlessly or the best you can and you'll have no issues and get more hours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Just do your job and don't concern yourself with other people's problems.

You're only in the place.. why would you want the manager to think you're a ****-stirrer?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

nworker wrote: »

Should I mention it to my manager? Should I put it in writing?

Why would you do this? Just do your job and ignore everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for your replies, all good advice. I think you are all right, just concentrate on making a good impression, and doing the job well.

Advertisement