Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope - Mounts - Alignment

Options
  • 16-07-2010 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

All
    I would like to know what type of rings and bases you are using to mount your scope.

My Remington 700 setup: two piece Leupold weaver base and Burris Zee Rings. Any other Remy 700's out there - I would love to hear/see your setup.

However, I was watching this video and suggest you do the same.
    Obviously,they are selling a kit, but some nice advice if you have not already heard it.

Unlike my weaver, their setup may be adjusted for windage. I was impressed when they showed how far off of alignment the ring tools were.

It really made me wonder if I should abandon my rings and get something that is adjustable. But then I worry that if it is adjustable - it can be out of alignment.

So, please advise what kind of rings/bases you are using. Also, let us know whether you hunt and/or target shoot.

Is anyone concerned that the inability to make fine adjustments to ring/base combo could cause the scope to be ever so slightly stressed or torqued? Realistically, that is, not meta-physically.:)

Is this just being picky? When hunting, I will stalk and resist taking a shot past 300ya. So we are not talking about targets at ridiculous distances in my case.

Let me know if I should add a style in the poll.

Is this kit worth $72+shipping? I figure all I really need is the lapping tool and the compound. Anyone see a lapping tool around - what do they go for?

What style ring/base combo are you using 27 votes

Weaver
    0%
    Redfield
    14%
    clivejfish slappedghostmantraFISMA 4 votes
    Quick Detachable
    0%
    Other
    11%
    macnasDouble Barrelmurph226 3 votes
    1 inch - 25.4mm
    25%
    Vegetameathstevierob308riflehunter77murph226HibrionFeidhlim Dignan 7 votes
    30mm
    7%
    ormondpropFISMA 2 votes
    None of the above: real men use iron sights
    40%
    macnasVegetaTackleberrywhorob308clivejriflehunter77kay 9sharky0922HibrionghostmantraFeidhlim Dignan 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I had a set of windage adj mounts/rings.

they twice came loose on me. Never again.

Nightforce do not recommend windage rings.
    get a good scope and there is enough windage in them!
    The magnetic level would be a good investment
    I use Burris tactical rings,3 screw adjs myself, the video only shows a cheap set of rings and a cheap scope. Buy cheap, buy twice

Below is a NF one piecee set up

The one piece rail is prop your best bet to get level. mountsUnimountL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

get a good scope and there is enough windage in them!

Unfortunately not always true

My brother has a Zeiss stalking scope on his Remington 700 and it was a balls to zero due to the terrible alignment of scope rings.

Couldn't be zeroed without shimming the rings, not enough windage adjustment in the scope.

What I wouldn't have given for a decent rail and ring combo that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Vegeta wrote: »
    Unfortunately not always true

My brother has a Zeiss stalking scope on his Remington 700 and it was a balls to zero due to the terrible alignment of scope rings.

Couldn't be zeroed without shimming the rings, not enough windage adjustment in the scope.

What I wouldn't have given for a decent rail and ring combo that day.

http://www.burristactical.com/xtrrings.html

They are as handy as a pot under the bed :D

Take scope on off. Maybe a click or two off when you put back on.

Although If I get a torque screwdriver I should eliminate this as I will tighten the same all the time.

A torque screw driver saves a lot of heart ache, we use them in work all the time and no more rung screw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

Badger Ordnance picatinny rail and mounts. Can't beat them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭.243

rob308 wrote: »
    Badger Ordnance picatinny rail and mounts. Can't beat them
    ill second that !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nightforce 20 MOA rail and NF 30mm rings. Savage FTR. Target work.

Sportsmatch rings and base, 25mm. CZ 527. Hunting.

Anschutz rings, straight to rifle (no base/rail). 25mm. Anschutz. Target work.

My others firearms have the same or a mix of the above combos on them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Third eye tactical long action 20 moa rail and rings.
    [IMG][/img]DSCF1134.jpg

Advertisement