Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb Question

• 16-07-2010 3:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about buying a small boat next year but I can't afford a berth but would like it lying on water at least in the summer months. Near enough to where I live there's lots of boats moored to buoys in a river. Something like that would be ideal but here's the dumb question- how do owners get out to their boat ? Do you typically bring along some sort of small rowboat and row out ? Or is there some sort of communal dinghy used by all the owners ?

Also assuming you provide the anchorage and buoy is it free to park your boat on a river, ie once it's not tied up to something onshore.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

This link might help.http://www.iwai.ie/boating/boatonthewater.html

A lot of people do have their own punts or if you are a member of a local club they may have a club punt that will bring you out and pick you up. Dropping your own mooring you have to be very careful and take a lot of factors into account like the swing of your boat and the boats around you, what is bellow your boat when the water is low,Best thing to do is talk to the other boaters and ask them the best place to put your mooring, you will want to keep on there good side and they will look after your boat when you are not around, if you just drop a mooring with out knowing the lay of the land it could cost you your boat and the boats around you €€€€€€€€
    Hope this helps a bit good luck and happy boating.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for clearing that up Fergal=) Yeah I was aware of the way boats move around when anchored at a mooring- on my first sailing experience abroad I noticed how all boats had shifted 90 degrees with the wind when I woke up in the morning.

I must check about the use of a punt down at the anchorage Im thinking about, hopefully the local boaters might have something to make everyone's lives easier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Not a dumb questin at all. As FB said - you would generally have your own punt or dingy to get out to the boat which you would normally leave on the mooring while you are out on your boat.

Your location will have a bearing on wether you can put a mooring down or not - there are plenty of harbour boards now that have deemed certain places "full". If the place you are thinking of is full you will not be able to put down a mooring - you would either have to buy an existing one are rent one off somebody.

The average price of laying a mooring (if you can't do it yourself) is anything from 500 - 750. This is a once off payment, you will have harbour due's each year which changes around the country but budget aound 100 PA. Last cost then is about 200 every two years for a diver to clean the swivels and riser on your mooring, frequency depends on the growth in your area though.

Advertisement