Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CRT v LCD Monitors

• 16-07-2010 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I am looking to justify the purchase on LCD monitors in bulk and need to justify for the company.
    Does anyone have any means of justifying the purchase of over 100 LCD flat screens.
    We live in a very different world to get monies now than even over 2 years ago but i need to eplace these CRT monitors.

I know there is an energy saving with LCD's over CRT and over time LCD's have become more cost competitive with CRT's.

I suppose the key thing for the company is to show where payback can be achieved.

Are LCD's known to last longer than CRT's ?
    How more energy efficient are LCD's than CRT's ?

Any comments are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

We have a store of about 900 LCD's. I have seen about 10 fail in just under four years.

They are lighter which alleviates health and safety concerns for moving them and storing them, use on average 50% less power(crts are at about 90-120watts) and they provided greater desk space.

I think the real question here is, in 2010 what kind of complete tightwad company is still debating using them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can you still buy crt's these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The saving in power should justify it in the long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Go for an LCD. Who has a CRT anymore :p

Nah seriously, they nearly all survive. Never seen one damage. I've one of the ones that came out first. 600 euro for 17" and it still going 6 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

LCD screens also are less reflective, so there's less eye strain/headaches.

There's EU directives that employees can demand anti-glare covers for their screens I believe.

Sure you can always throw in that CRT's cause eye cancer as a last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I find looking at a CRT for 5 minutes tough going - never mind all day!

Here's what I can think of...
    • Lower running costs.
    • Increases user desk space.
    • Easier to move - reduces risk of injuries during desk moves etc.
    • Generally height adjustable without additional accessories. Health and safety will like this.
    • Makes your company like like it's not stuck in the early 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

JDxtra wrote: »
    I find looking at a CRT for 5 minutes tough going - never mind all day!

Here's what I can think of...
    • Lower running costs.
    • Increases user desk space.
    • Easier to move - reduces risk of injuries during desk moves etc.
    • Generally height adjustable without additional accessories. Health and safety will like this.
    • Makes your company like like it's not stuck in the early 90s.
    and probably increased productivity in the company.

Webmonkey wrote: »

True, especially if the screen size will be bigger than what they currently have with the CRTs. Less time flicking between apps, scrolling windows etc. All those seconds add up quickly when they are multiplied by 100 users!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

its easy to adjust a crt to a ergonomic, healthy viewing angle, you can give them to charity, or send em to a council waste center,which takes pcs/monitors.

ricman wrote: »
    its easy to adjust a crt to a ergonomic, healthy viewing angle.
    Angle, yes. Height, no.

One more reason: they will prevent office jealously! If anybody new joins or if you have a faulty CRT it's likely you will have to replace it with an LCD (unless you have a room warehouse full of spare CRTs of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What kind of a price difference are you trying to justify? With the proliferation of LCDs nowadays I can't image there is a huge difference, unless you're getting 24 inch widescreens.

I think the OP wants to justify the cost of replacing their current working CRT monitors to his management team.

I can't imagine anybody is stocking CRTs these days for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

you can get rotatable lcds that can be moved to portrait mode, more effecient for writing or editing mode.in a few years the crts will wear out, buy 100 and you,ll get a discount on the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

JDxtra wrote: »
    I think the OP wants to justify the cost of replacing their current working CRT monitors to his management team.

I can't imagine anybody is stocking CRTs these days for sale.

+1

OP, if thats the case, I've a neat deck on the topic which was (successfully) sold to senior management.. based around cost vs energy requirements, ergonomics etc.. pm me if you want a copy!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dts1

Does anyone know how much of a power saving in watts you are making by comparing a 19" CRT monitor v's a 19" LCD Screen.

A survey concluded that comparing a 15" LCD monitor with a 17" CRT monitor (which has an equal amount of viewing area), the LCD monitor used 55 watts less when operational (25 watts vs. 80 watts) and 2 watts less when in standby (3 watts vs. 5 watts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not to mention eye-strain concerns using the old CRT screens. They work by blasting Cathode rays at a phospor screen which absorbs the ray and emits it as visible light. The problem is this phoshpor layer is finite. As the monitor ages more cathode rays permeate through the screen and you're essentially blasting your employees in the eye with straight electrons. Nevermind Ionizing Radiation. While it's not enough to be considered harmful, why expose Bob from accounting to Ionizing Radiation? He just wants to balance the Cost of Goods account.

On the energy argument, you save more wattage on the newer LED screens, which throw out the Fluorescent backlight and use a grid of LEDs that use up a fraction of the juice.

There are also the aforementioned advantages of precious desktop real-estate savings, and giving your workers the sense that they aren't working in an office that hasn't upgraded since 1998. Cos let's face it: having modern **** makes us feel good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

here is a quick pros and cons website

http://www.bootstrike.com/Articles/LCDvsCRT/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Personally I rather the picture on a CRT, but for office space it's a no brainer - LCD all the way. It's not like employees are going to be watching video or playing games.The reclaimed desk space alone is worth the change over.

And as for the 'who still has a CRT question' I do! I have one for my old videogames consoles. They look amazing on a CRT through RGB scart with scanlines. Plus there's the oul LCD lag to think about too.

But anyway, I'm getting off topic. Get some LCDs for that office. I couldn't imagine working in a modern office full of CRTs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Webmonkey wrote: »
    and facebook looks so much better on tft,s lol

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dts1

here is a quick pros and cons website

http://www.bootstrike.com/Articles/LCDvsCRT/

Very good article Broken Arrows. Thanks.
    The article states, that an 19” CRT monitor uses 110 watts while an LCD of the same size uses 45 watts.
    By stating it uses less watts, is this per hour/per usage ?
    By using less than half the amount of watts, is there a way of associating this saving with money. How much money are you saving by the LCD using less than half the amount of watts of a CRT ?
    If i was to buy 200 new LCD's, what would i be saving i guess compared to buying 200 new CRT's ? (which i know i probably couldn't buy anyway !!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dts1 wrote: »
    Very good article Broken Arrows. Thanks.
    The article states, that an 19” CRT monitor uses 110 watts while an LCD of the same size uses 45 watts.
    By stating it uses less watts, is this per hour/per usage ?
    By using less than half the amount of watts, is there a way of associating this saving with money. How much money are you saving by the LCD using less than half the amount of watts of a CRT ?
    If i was to buy 200 new LCD's, what would i be saving i guess compared to buying 200 new CRT's ? (which i know i probably couldn't buy anyway !!)

You need to figure out what you are paying per watt now. Or if your company is on a fixed usage rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lets say your company pays 10c for 1kwh

the monitors are on for 10 hours a day. The CRT uses 1.1kwh and the LCE would use .45kwh per day

11c vs. 4.5c

multiply this by - how many machines in the building? Lets assume 200. And 300 days per year, over the course of 5 years.

CRTs would cost €33,000 to run for 5 years; LCDs would cost €13,500

You would save €19,500 which would give you a maximum of €97.50 to spend on each screen to break even after 5 years: they would pay for themselves. Presumably sooner depending on the use-habit of the screens.

Advertisement