Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoneline installation

• 16-07-2010 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I recently moved into a new apartment and I'm trying to get broadband sorted. Originally I was going to go with UPC, however apparently their lines weren't of sufficient quality so they won't let me sign up. So the next group I wanted to sign up with is Magnet over DSL and this is where I ran into my next problem.

The apartment I'm in has a physical phone line, however it has never been connected, so I've had Eircom out to sort that out. However apparently for whatever reason all the phone lines from the apartments run through shops below them, a really stupid set up by the company who built the building as the place is built into a hill so they could have run them any number of ways that didn't involve going through these shops. And as seems common in apartment blocks, they don't run enough phone lines for everybody, so in order to get connected you need to go to the comms closet (which is in the shop) and connect the internal line to the external one. And here is my problem, the shop which I live above is closed up, there is no lease sign above it and the management agency for the apartments have no idea who owns it. So I'm wondering if anybody has any advice about how I would go about finding how who actually owns that building so that I could arrange access to it for the Eircom engineer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Knasher wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I recently moved into a new apartment and I'm trying to get broadband sorted. Originally I was going to go with UPC, however apparently their lines weren't of sufficient quality so they won't let me sign up. So the next group I wanted to sign up with is Magnet over DSL and this is where I ran into my next problem.

The apartment I'm in has a physical phone line, however it has never been connected, so I've had Eircom out to sort that out. However apparently for whatever reason all the phone lines from the apartments run through shops below them, a really stupid set up by the company who built the building as the place is built into a hill so they could have run them any number of ways that didn't involve going through these shops. And as seems common in apartment blocks, they don't run enough phone lines for everybody, so in order to get connected you need to go to the comms closet (which is in the shop) and connect the internal line to the external one. And here is my problem, the shop which I live above is closed up, there is no lease sign above it and the management agency for the apartments have no idea who owns it. So I'm wondering if anybody has any advice about how I would go about finding how who actually owns that building so that I could arrange access to it for the Eircom engineer.

Thanks.

Have you signed up to us yet? Perhaps I can help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Okay I've somehow managed to track down the company who owns the building and pass their information on to magnet. Hopefully this won't add too much time on to my installation time.

Rory, thanks for your reply, I've signed up through magnet and they are in contact with Eircom for me. Would you be able to give me an estimation of how much longer it will be before I'm up and running? I appreciate much of it is beyond Magnets control, I would just like to have an idea on how long I might be waiting.

Knasher wrote: »
    Okay I've somehow managed to track down the company who owns the building and pass their information on to magnet. Hopefully this won't add too much time on to my installation time.

Rory, thanks for your reply, I've signed up through magnet and they are in contact with Eircom for me. Would you be able to give me an estimation of how much longer it will be before I'm up and running? I appreciate much of it is beyond Magnets control, I would just like to have an idea on how long I might be waiting.

If you PM me your details I can look up for you.

Liasing with eircom now.

Advertisement