Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who will be your team's surprise package next season?

• 16-07-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Not including new signings, I mean is there anyone who is either coming through the youth ranks or performing under par at senior level that you have a feeling will prosper next year.

For me (Villa) I have an inkling Stewart Downing will have a great season next year. He'll have his first full pre-season under his belt since breaking his ankle and will (touch wood) have a more competent strike force to feed off, with either new blood coming in, or Delfouneso finally being given a run.

He has goals in him from midfield too and once upon a time could cross the ball with deadly accuracy and effectiveness. Should either or both of these come back, I think he'll be Villa's POTY (:eek:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Mario Gomez, 24 league goals :pac:

Roy Hodgson & Pacheco(I hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Chamakh(arsenal) for me, will not be another Adebayor, average scoring record in france but will bang em in the prem, hopefully he won't try and court every club in spain\italy in 2 years time. Possibly Walcott, being left out of the WC is the kick up the ar$e he needed, if not he's a lost cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Chamakh(arsenal) for me, will not be another Adebayor, average scoring record in france but will bang em in the prem, hopefully he won't try and court every club in spain\italy in 2 years time. Possibly Walcott, being left out of the WC is the kick up the ar$e he needed, if not he's a lost cause.

Beat me to it. Exactly the same thoughts especially about Walcott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Jack Rodwell at Everton. If he gets more games this season he could be the young player of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

For Blackburn,

I think Phil Jones will perform well when called upon again - i don't think he can stake a regular claim with Nelsen and Samba still going to be the starting central defensive pairing. However i expect him to build and excel upon last season.

Kalinic, having now settled and one would presume will be fully fit for the start of the season, coupled with not much competition up front will be a key player next season - i am anticipating a great season from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Michael Owen - injury free (big ask I know) - might surprise a few this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

hitman79 wrote: »
    Jack Rodwell at Everton. If he gets more games this season he could be the young player of the season.

True plus our own Seamus Coleman could make a big break-through this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yossi Benayoun :pac:

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Warper wrote: »

Anichebe if the fecker could stay fit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Michael Owen - injury free (big ask I know) - might surprise a few this season

Came in to say this actually: far less hype than last Summer, he's almost the forgotten man at Old Trafford. Hope he can hit double figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I can see the forgotten man Clinton Morrison have a 30 goal season for Sheffield Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Jack Wilshere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm genuinely not taking the p*ss, when i say Lucas.

especially if Masch goes, he may have to become one of the leaders on the pitch, and you never know, he could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

marc albrighton

SlickRic wrote: »

especially if Masch goes, he may have to become one of the leaders on the pitch, and you never know, he could.

I think Aquilani could be very good, fitness permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

At this point I'd have to say James Chambers has been the surprise for us this season he has been in superb form and could well make a stab at player of the season if he keeps on going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I expect huge improvements from Anderson and Macheda, if both stay injury free.

But I definitely think Oliver Gill will have a huge season. Fergie said so himself.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Woy Hodgson and Aquilani to shine this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Barrera at West Ham , had very good world cup with Mexico , think he could be a star at the Hammers .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think Aquilani could be very good, fitness permitting.

Would love a good season from Hargreaves, would like to see Rafael making the right back place his own too.

And Aquilani looked half decent near the end of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

it it too easy to say Hernandez......

im going to go for Michael Owen also.

i also expect a big season, a huge one infact from Nani if he stays injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Paddy Kavanagh is starting to play well for Rovers and has serious potential for next season. Some of his decision making at times is dodgy but he has the ability, no doubt.

Would love a good season from Hargreaves, would like to see Rafael making the right back place his own too.

And Aquilani looked half decent near the end of last year.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Darron Gibson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fernando Torres. Some of the nonsense spoke about him recently, including on this forum, is setting the season up nicely for him to shut everyone up..

SlickRic wrote: »

If that caption photo from the Liverpool thread a few days ago is anything to go by, then Lucas has a fair aul surprise package on him alright.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I think that his retirement from international football, will mean a 20 - 27 goal season for Heskey.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jovanovic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Kalou started to show his true potential at the end of last season. He'll be great this one.

Kakuta, he should be great given a run in one of the cups.

And, I know the OP said 'not new signings' but I think Benayoun will do fan-fúckin-tastic under a manager who treats him with the respect he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Mr. Zigic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I still hold faint hope for Robinho to come back and set the premiership alight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Given that all the transfer activity has headed for the Ibrox exit door, the surprise package for Rangers this season will be if we actually have a package at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Mr. Zigic

Dear god no!! He's a howler of a player! watched him last 2 years at Valencia... He's a mixed bag though so coudl work in a more physical premiership

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    I still hold faint hope for Robinho to come back and set the premiership alight
    He could. In a team with real quality around him he really could I'd say. Like Henry for Arsenal when they were unstoppable. you coulnt see Henry rolling up the sleeves and grinding it out in a mediiocre side either. But if things were set up better for him he could be a gem still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

Boskowski wrote: »
    :confused:

I support United, just saying Aqualini showed signs of improvement for Liverpool near the end of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think it will surprise too many if aquilani has a good season, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say Babel!

Has all the ingrediants to be great, impressed in his first season before regressing horribly, but started to show some promise around the tail end of last season. Is Roy the man to help realize Ryans undoubted potential? Perhaps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Scott Dann, could be the year where he stakes a place in the England squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Man United - Anderson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Inter - Biabiany

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I think that his retirement from international football, will mean a 20 - 27 goal season for Heskey.;)

I though he retired from international football years ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

And Mark Van Bommell will win Fair Play award for coming season also.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I would expect Aquilani to step it up so I can't say that he'd be a surprise package if he does well in my eyes. I'd go along with Rebel and say Babel, I think if there's anyone who could benefit from Roy's style of management it's Babel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think babel will shine myself and also aquilani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm asked constantly who the latest wonderkid is at Ajax and next season I think we'll see one stamp his name on the Eredivisie for sure:

Christian Eriksen
    I'm sure a few of you might have heard the name, he was the youngest player at the World Cup and has played with the first team since the start of the year (think Arsenal were rumoured to be interested), but I saw virtually all our games last season and it's been a while since I've seen a guy read a game and pass with such composure.

In my opinion, though early days, he looks better than Sneijder was at his age. The term 'next Bergkamp' is thrown around about him a lot but I really think in a few years once he moves on to a bigger league this guy will be HUGE.

I can see the forgotten man Clinton Morrison have a 30 goal season for Sheffield Wednesday.

Just found out about this now. Genuinely happy! which probably says more about our fallen stock than it does about Morrisson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

hitman79 wrote: »
    Warper wrote: »
    bobbyg wrote: »
    Anichebe if the fecker could stay fit!

Yeah totally agree with the Everton calls so far.. Rodwell had a great season last year for his first real full season. In pre-season he has been in fantastic form on the australian tour.

I hope Coleman is given a good run by Moyes. Might be difficult with Neville ahead of him. Moyes is very reluctant to drop his captain if he is fit to play. He was brilliant in his loan spell at blackpool and hopefully he pushes on for ireland now as well.

Anichebe is another one that was in great form at the tail end of last season. He was pushed out to the right wing and he looked quite good. Defenders couldn't deal with his size and physicality out there. A bit like Dirk Kuyt for liverpool. Sometimes a square peg in a round hole fits if they just dont cut it in their 'natural' position.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I think babel will shine myself and also aquilani

Babel? Really? I've seen nothing in the previous few seasons he has been at anfield to warrant any sort of optimism. Great pace, can beat a man. Falls over. He has proved somewhat more effective up front than on the wing, but if Torres is fit, i don't see him getting a sniff. I would imagine Joe Cole will play left? Unless hodgson wants to play him in the middle perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan.

Michelangelo Albertazzi, Dominic Adiyiah or Andrea De Vito.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Samir Nasri.

He'll be a class, class player. This will be the year he rises to the top.

• Advertisement
Advertisement