Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's a race...no it's not...is too..is not..etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I went to the bother of doing this video in order to explain things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoXJL2hL6kI

I went to the bother of doing this video in order to explain things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoXJL2hL6kI

That does not appear to be a UCI sanctioned event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I think this is a better clip to define the thread, and possibly a few posters too... no helmets either:eek:

:D

That does not appear to be a UCI sanctioned event.

eh its a car race!!

UCI = Union Cycliste International

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lumen wrote: »
    Sure. It's in the charter.

Lumen I presume in your deliberations regarding the revising of the charter you had no conflict of interest or favouritism there such as .......... oh let me see ...... someone being a fellow cycling clubmate or anything??

I was beginning to suspect a totalitarian agenda of Animal Farm-esque proportions! Now who wrote that again???????? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

I would separate races into 2 cats - official and unofficial. An official race is one where there's some level of formal organisation - a sign-on/registration sheet and prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Doping control, commissaires, etc are not a requirement to make it official just as most club rugby matches in this country don't have doping control, medics, 2 touch judges and a TMO.

After that, it's a case of deciding the level of prestige each race carries and the resulting respect/kudos/hero worship garnered from competing in/winning. Events like the Wicklow 200 and every other cyclo-sportive in this country are not official races (even though many participants will race against the clock) so have zero prestige/relevance IMO. Many European cyclo-sportives such as the Marmotte, Etape du Tour, Italian Grand Fondos, etc are official races and winning carries various levels of prestige. Just look at last year's Etape winner, Dimitri Champion, then French national champion and riding this year's Tour for AG2R - I don't think he came out for the free bananas and buns.

I think Slideshow's 'is it a race, it's not a race' issue could be with the standard required to enter races/events such as the Marmotte and the Etape - ie: there is none, so any weekend warrior can regale friends down the pub about 'competing' in such a prestigious race and receive all the accolades whereas to compete in a race such as the Rás, you would probably need to be in the top 60-70 Irish amateurs which is a fantastic achievement to begin with but one that the public in general have no interest in or respect for? When I completed last year's Etape, every one of my friends/family thought I was the next best thing after Kelly/Roche/Armstrong/etc which was a bit embarrassing when I have yet to get a placing in a lowly A4 race whereas a cousin of mine is an A1 and has ridden 3 Rásí but this means absolutely nothing to them (I don't think they know that much even, just that he does a bit of cycling like myself).

That's my 2 cents thrown in anyway.

Lumen I presume in your deliberations regarding the revising of the charter you had no conflict of interest or favouritism there such as .......... oh let me see ...... someone being a fellow cycling clubmate or anything??

Are you kidding? Tom stole my win on my very first club race this year. He's dead to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

This is from Ireland's paper of record, today:

Simplex Crossword, 12 Across; Contest of speed (4)

I have already solved 2 and 8 down which gives me R_C_ for 12 Across

I'm really stuck on this, largely caused by this thread. Please show pity and urgnetly send advic as I will not be able to accept failure on the Simplex !!!

Are you kidding? Tom stole my win on my very first club race this year. He's dead to me.

CONFLICT OF INTEREST ALERT - CLUBMATES !!

Has someone already done a survey on boards 410 of which club they are members of ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Crippens1 wrote: »
    This is from Ireland's paper of record, today:

Simplex Crossword, 12 Across; Contest of speed (4)

I have already solved 2 and 8 down which gives me R_C_ for 12 Across

I'm really stuck on this, largely caused by this thread. Please show pity and urgnetly send advic as I will not be able to accept failure on the Simplex !!!

Rico?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Tour?

Giro?

I'm trying to think of only UCI sanctioned events.

Raam wrote: »
    Rico?

Having just watched Holly's Stage 12 preview, the word that springs to mind is RACK. I'm not sure why.

LeoD wrote: »

Many European cyclo-sportives such as the Marmotte, Etape du Tour, Italian Grand Fondos, etc are official races and winning carries various levels of prestige. Just look at last year's Etape winner, Dimitri Champion, then French national champion and riding this year's Tour for AG2R - I don't think he came out for the free bananas and buns.

Eh they ain't official races in the eyes of the UCI or mine.

I have seen serious road racers compete in such events on the continent too - doesn't make them proper races.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

Have just finished Crosaire but 12 Across in the simplex still a blank;

Contest of speed (4)

R_C_

:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Eh they ain't official races in the eyes of the UCI or mine.

I have seen serious road racers compete in such events on the continent too - doesn't make them proper races.

They both count towards the UCI World Rankings!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

They both count towards the UCI World Rankings!

They (some) are part of the UCI golden series but do not count towards any rankings.

Our club has a touring league where the person who does the most tours gets an award. Do we have to re classify this as a stage race now?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

RobFowl wrote: »
    Our club has a touring league where the person who does the most tours gets an award. Do we have to re classify this as a stage race now?

No, but would it not be reasonable enough to refer to it as a competition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Well, if the neutral observer is to be believed. Maybe not nasty, bitchy?

I don't know about 'neutral observer' but as a someone new to cycling but well used to forums, this would class as polite bickering which is par for the course on t'internet. Most of the rest reads like gobbledegook; why would a cinema in Tallaght want to oversee a cycling event? ;)

Entered the wicklow 100 earler as a first ever cycling event on basis it was for anyone who fancied the spin and really loved it; doing the etape in the same spirit, and should keep just ahead of the back sweepers on my hybrid. Would coming last in a race have better bragging rights than last in a sportive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I do grow tired of your claiming Lumen is somehow biased based on his club membership. Nearly all of us know Lumen from before he/we joined the same club. It just doesn't even make sense. If you look back about 8/9 months you'll find all the threads where quite a few of us were discussing joining the club.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

smacl wrote: »
    why would a cinema in Tallaght want to oversee a cycling event? ;)

That explains why they're making such a mess of it :D

I do grow tired of your claiming Lumen is somehow biased based on his club membership. Nearly all of us know Lumen from before he/we joined the same club. It just doesn't even make sense. If you look back about 8/9 months you'll find all the threads where quite a few of us were discussing joining the club.

It wasn't a claim it was a question and Lumen took it in good heart.

If you are growing tired I can't help you - only suggest I make good bedtime reading.

So yer all in the same club are yer??? hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

They (some) are part of the UCI golden series but do not count towards any rankings.
    Interestingly now that you say it even the UCI refers to those events as races, you might want to get on to them to get that fixed.
    UCI wrote:
    UCI Golden Bike

Take part in the best races in the world!

Events like the Wicklow 200 and other Irish cyclosportives are very explicitly NOT races and this is emphasised by the organisers. There are no prizes, no podium, and the organiser goes to great length to convey to participants that it is not a race. Times are generally not published much less placings.

The continental Cyclosportives/Gran Fondos however do present themselves as races, are competitive, have a podium and prizes, and publish times and placings.

Again, no-one was claiming that they were UCI-sanctioned events in the same sense as a road race run under UCI regulations is. But they are still "races" in the sense of the word in the English language.

So yer all in the same club are yer??? hmmm
    There are a wide variety of clubs represented here, everyone is not all in the same club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sorry, that was just pure silliness on my part, I was reading Giro and TdF. I'm just going to stop typing.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    everyone is not all in the same club.

Very interesting way of phrasing that :D

everyone is not all in the same club.

No half are in Orwell and half in Swords :rolleyes:

Don't forget all the non-dublin people! Wherever they are!

Ahem, more Orwell than Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

And some even go cycling sometimes.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    And some even go cycling sometimes.

Austrian sportives don't count, as they're not UCI-approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

This has to be the most Friday-ish thread of all time.

One monumentally stubborn and incredibly elastic tormentor, and many, many extremely bored/equally stubborn fishes more than willing to take the bait.

This thread could go anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Moflojo wrote: »

One monumentally stubborn and incredibly elastic tormentor, and many, many extremely bored/equally stubborn fishes more than willing to take the bait.

This thread could go anywhere...

What? Like this... People that don't wear helmets DIE while breaking red lights during a race between another person! And all car drivers are WRONG in everything they do.:D

Moflojo wrote: »

You've read this, right?

I'd say 3/4's of protagonists here are in Orwell and the remaining 7/77's are in Swords.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd say 3/4's of protagonists here are in Orwell and the remaining 7/77's are in Swords.

So what club are you in Bob?

Bleedin southsiders

el tonto wrote: »
    So what club are you in Bob?

I'm in the remaining 16% called not obligied to tell ya! May not even be in a club for all ya know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Austrian sportives don't count, as they're not UCI-approved.

Everyone knows people who race pump out huge wattages.
    Everyone knows that PlanetX bikes flex under moderate wattages.

Therefore you can't be racing if you ride a PlanetX.

I'm in the remaining 16% called not obligied to tell ya! May not even be in a club for all ya know!

Grand so. In that case, what club people are in should be none of your concern. ;)

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Everyone knows people who race pump out huge wattages.
    Everyone knows that PlanetX bikes flex under moderate wattages.

Therefore you can't be racing if you ride a PlanetX.

My friend Martyn disagrees.

My friend Martyn disagrees.

Not Martyn the new Irish Criterium Champion :D

Not Martyn the new Irish Criterium Champion :D

Apparently so, he must have forgot to text me.

Apparently so, he must have forgot to text me.

Well we all know crit races are quite slow with no explosive efforts so maybe that's how he got away with the planet x.......

Lads, lads. We all know Tunney is just going to say that Irvine would have won it easier on another bike.

Lads, lads. We all know Tunney is just going to say that Irvine would have won it easier on another bike.

I suppose you're right sounds like he was really struggling :rolleyes:

2010 All Ireland Criterium Championship Report
    The unseasonal weather had an effect on the National Criterium Championships, held in Dundalk Town Centre and promoted by Cuchulainn CC last night. Just 21 Senior Riders signed on to tackle the technical 2km course. The riders had to cover 30mins plus five laps.

The bunch split on the first few laps when Tighernach Murphy (South Dublin CC) went on the attack. He was joined by six more riders, Craig Sweetman (Stamullen M Donnelly) Michael Redden (South Dublin) Stephen O'Sullivan (Engraveit.ie) Colm Cassidy (Usher IRC) Simon Williams (Juiced Orchard) and Martyn Irvine (Planet X). These opened up an advantage over the main field.

A few laps later Irvine attacked and split the break making it a lead group of four consisting of Irvine, Williams, O'Sullivan and Redden. There were a number of punctures throughout the race with firstly Redden having to take a lap out and then Irivine on two occasions, both with punctures.

In the closing stages the breakaway knew it was coming down to a sprint. Irvine went from a long way out at approx 500metres from the line and proved too strong for Redden who just pipped O'Sullivan into bronze

Grand so. In that case, what club people are in should be none of your concern. ;)

It ain't really I just happen to be aware there seems to be a shed load to punters from Orwell frequenting this forum

It ain't really I just happen to be aware there seems to be a shed load to punters from Orwell frequenting this forum
    Orwell is the biggest club in the country so it is likely to have a larger number of posters. There was a bit of an influx of Boardsies into Orwell this year probably as guys knew other people already in the club; I joined myself last year as I already knew people in the club from Boards (and from my local bike shop, etc.)

There is no conspiracy. :pac:

There is no conspiracy. :pac:

Orwell wheelers assassinate Kennedy shocker, Was Blorg on the grassy knoll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lovely afternoon for a cycle/race/commute. That is all.

Advertisement