Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor dog :-((

Options
  • 16-07-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

I came across a dog knocked down this morning on way to work. I stopped to help the other people who were there and rang several vets but he didnt make it, he died on the roadside within 15 mins or so.:(:(

Please please make sure your dog is secure and you dont let him roam, im sitting here in work in tears and its not even my dog. Would hate to think of the poor owner now looking for their dog and wondering whats happening with him.

There were a few people there helping who will all be very upset after witnessing it, including myself. We tried to help him as best we could but couldnt.

RIP Chocolate Ladrador xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

That's heartbreaking, well done you for stopping and at least he wasn't alone at the end.

Run free poor boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It was awful, really was. Hope i never have to go through something like that again.
    Just felt helpless not being able to do anything for him but i was petting him so he knew he wasnt alone, well i hope he did anyway.

Dont think he would have made it even if we did get him to the vets as he died within about 15/20mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

If that was the accident in Maynooth there was also a spaniel or some cross of one roaming frantically with no owner in sight. Hope someone managed to catch him or her.

If that was the accident in Maynooth there was also a spaniel or some cross of one roaming frantically with no owner in sight. Hope someone managed to catch him or her.

Yes that was it alright, did you pass us? Sont know where the spaniel ended up. Just hope the owners are found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

First I saw the spaniel running mad about 7 or 8 houses down, no leads in the car and the traffic was trying to come at us and right up behind us so no where to stop without being hit to attempt to catch the spaniel, then my OH got the fright of his life he thought a child had been knocked down cos the roads gotten very busy lately and kids always crossing it. I saw all the people and the coat on the ground so I kinda knew it was too late to get him to stop and offer any help. Poor fella :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I was driving one evening maybe 2 years ago and hit a golden labrador.
    He got up and ran off. I looked for him but couldn't find him.
    Even though it wasn't my fault i was in bits over it.
    So i agree with the OP. Please don't let your pets roam

First I saw the spaniel running mad about 7 or 8 houses down, no leads in the car and the traffic was trying to come at us and right up behind us so no where to stop without being hit to attempt to catch the spaniel, then my OH got the fright of his life he thought a child had been knocked down cos the roads gotten very busy lately and kids always crossing it. I saw all the people and the coat on the ground so I kinda knew it was too late to get him to stop and offer any help. Poor fella :(

Yeah we were trying to keep him warm but he didnt make it. We were all ringing vets and trying to get him down the local vets but he had gone by time the man came to bring him there. I couldnt take him as my dog was in my van. At least he didnt suffer for too long. Ive just never seen a dog go like that so really upset me but at least he wasnt by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I'm nearly in tears and I wasnt there. Well done for stopping and being with him Andrea. Poor baby :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

This makes me so angry. Poor dog dies a horrible death just because of it's thick owners. Sure, maybe it just got out by mistake - if so I apologise for my comment, but I see enough dogs allowed to purposefully roam to think the chances are this is the same situation. :mad::mad::mad:

(Well done to you and the other people who showed more interest in caring for this dog then its owners apparently did)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

What a horrible thing to see. :(
    I saw a dog getting knocked down once a couple of years ago and I can still hear the awful noise of it hitting the underside of the car to this day. The dog in question had a litter of week old pups which only made it more of a tragedy. The owners were furious with the car driver, never for a minute thought about the hand they played in the accident by not keep their dog contained. The most annoying thing was a couple of weeks later they went out and got another dog :mad:
    Anyway RIP Lab x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

This makes me so sad:(R.I.P you poor soul...just yesterday i found a golden cocker spaniel roaming around my estate..he was spooked by sumtin and ran out in front of a car and nearly got knocked down ..i went over n put him on the lead and brought him up2 my local vet who scanned him and found the microchip so contacted the owner....she was really pissed off that the vet rang her as she allows her dog to roam free and didnt see what the problem was...i hope she reads this and realises it couldve been her dog this post was about !!!:mad:

Advertisement