Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband down in Dublin?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi. I returned home from work last night to discover that my UPC broadband has decided to stop working. I went through the usual rigmarole of restarting the router, laptop etc but still nothing. I'm just curious if there is a direct problem with my hardware or has anyone had a similar experience in the last few days? Im in Dublin 14, maybe there is a problem in this area? I've been with them 2 and a half years and this is the first time there's been an issue like this:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

HJOlympian wrote: »
    Hi. I returned home from work last night to discover that my UPC broadband has decided to stop working. I went through the usual rigmarole of restarting the router, laptop etc but still nothing. I'm just curious if there is a direct problem with my hardware or has anyone had a similar experience in the last few days? Im in Dublin 14, maybe there is a problem in this area? I've been with them 2 and a half years and this is the first time there's been an issue like this:confused:

If it's still a problem, I would give them a call on freephone 1908. Have your account number handy. They'll be able to tell you whether it is a problem on their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 HJOlympian

Improbable wrote: »
    If it's still a problem, I would give them a call on freephone 1908. Have your account number handy. They'll be able to tell you whether it is a problem on their end.

Yeah, that will be my next step. I was going to last night but it was too late. I just wanted to see if anyone else was having a similar problem and how it was resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Fine in D9. Calling them is the best option. It should have been the first step tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Fine in Dublin 8 (Cork Street) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 HJOlympian

Fine in D9. Calling them is the best option. It should have been the first step tbh :)

Thanks! Like I said in my last post, it was too late to call them last night when I discovered the problem. I'm at work (don't have my account number handy) which is why I decided to post here.....wanted to see if anyone else had a problem in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

IS your service back? Im in Dublin 14 and am considering moving to UPC for broadband and phone in a home office, but am concerned about interuptions to service, we only got the new cable on our road in the last 2 years, we have digital TV, and can say we have had about 4 downs in 2 years, usually half a day, however never missed a beat with Eircom ever, how have you found the UPC service in D14?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

I hope you get that sorted out, keep us informed..

I've been looking for any issues with upc before I switch from eircom, it's early days for the search yet, but according to this blog the upc speed drops after a while and then the customer would be in helpline-land. (the prices this guy quotes seem a bit over the top)

(Hope this thread is approximately the right one)
    UPC Broadband was great, but for the last 2-3 months it has been on and off for me, so after 4 engineers and 10+ calls, I cancelled it in a a fit of despair today.
    I was paying them for 20MB at 48 euro, and getting 2-3 MB when it worked over the past 2 months before that I was getting great speeds in fairness to the company, and as I had friends using it also, it was a good deal!
    It seemed like UPC could just not give me an answer as to why it was no longer working. I did however get a ‘pick and mix’ of ‘answers’ such as: the modem not working (it was), congestion on the line, the line is being repaired today, there are too many users in your block of flats, one engineer told me they were waiting on planning permission to repair a line, one told me they were replacing those lines – the day after it was working again, the day after that it went down again. Two promised to call me back ,and never did, although one guy did when I asked for his name when logging the call. The automated callback guy called me (as they normally do to confirm an appointment, a great service really – if used correctly) and said, “I understand your issue has been resolved, is this correct”…??? NO!

Expensive broadband in Ireland

Little did I realise, when I cancelled UPC how expensive broadband DSL still is today.......

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I was offline 9-16 nov and they could'nt tell me anything.upc there has been a no . of breakdowns but nothing like this.usually a few hours in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

Paddyandy was this in Churchtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jamesmc123

Ask people in your area, like your neighbours that use UPC about their experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Down for me too (Dublin 8)

Advertisement