Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Skip and RTE Ariel installation - prices

Options
  • 16-07-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

HI guys/gals,making a few changes at home...economy drive and all and am looking to hire a small/medium size skip to get rid of some household crap....Have been quoted €200, have also been quoted €200 - €250 to get RTE/TV3 ariels installed.... I think these are pretty expensive, can anyone point me in the right direction or are these the norm???:eek:
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Munstermad wrote: »
    HI guys/gals,making a few changes at home...economy drive and all and am looking to hire a small/medium size skip to get rid of some household crap....Have been quoted €200, have also been quoted €200 - €250 to get RTE/TV3 ariels installed.... I think these are pretty expensive, can anyone point me in the right direction or are these the norm???:eek:
    Thanks

You can dump a lot/most stuff yourself in the Recycling Depot near Mungret - Check their Website for details of what they will take.

http://www.limerickrecyclingcentres.ie/

Cost is €5 for a car load - 40 carloads > 1 Skip :D

- Get a Mate and a Ladder and attach Arial/run cables yourself also, you'll find any detail your are short of via Google or by querying on the appropriate Forum on here.

Crack open a few beers and bask in the glow of your own handiwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Baby skips cost about €139 for a maxi size thats 1 tonne. Fits loads in it. There are a few restrictions on what goes into it but worth checking out. Most stores e.g. B&Q sell them.

Got an RTE ariel and a couple of eyes to change the Sky Digital channels in all the rooms installed only last week in my house. All together it cost €180. Can see if i still have the guys number if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,215 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are plenty of adverts in the classified section of the Limerick Post for guys who will take away rubbish. You can haggle on the price with them, just make sure that they have a proper license.

Regarding TV, drop Steveon a PM here, I think he does tv/satalite installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

lol I want to do the same with the rte aerial and dump sky. But the wife says no she will miss americas next top model :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,215 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You should still be able to view the "free to air" channels on your sky box even if you cancel your subscription afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bazz26 wrote: »
    You should still be able to view the "free to air" channels on your sky box even if you cancel your subscription afaik.

Fact.

- Can also do this for a cheaper version of Multi-room if you have a basic Sky Box lying around and a Sky+ Dish with extra connectors on the LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Raiser wrote: »
    Fact.

- Can also do this for a cheaper version of Multi-room if you have a basic Sky Box lying around and a Sky+ Dish with extra connectors on the LNB.

I have done exactly that in my garage room. All of the BBC's, ITV's, Channel 4, More 4, Film 4 and lots of free to air channels, about 40 - 50 in all which is very good considering it is free.

Clean Ireland do skip in a bag which will carry up to 1.25 ton for €80.
    http://www.cleanireland.ie/skips.php

You can check the classifieds on the Limerick Post website regarding the Ariel.
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=59

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Great tips guys/gals, thanks a million, have sky in 3 rooms but have cancelled as of mid Aug so will still have my free to air channels, just the rte/tv3 thing to sort out. I Did ring installers off paper and that where I got huge quotes from, will drop steveon a pm though he might do me a deal????
    Am looking forward to having 1 less bill to pay, so many channels so much bloody crap on tv!!
    Small skip or skip bag sounds good, thanks again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

For skip hire I always found Willie Fitzgerald was the cheapest and best, and he will allow you to put anything into his skips unlike others worth a shot...

http://www.fitzgeraldskiphire.com/

As for Aerials I cannot comment about prices....as I'd get banned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

if you are living in the city then you can use a cheap aerial that you can buy on dealextreme.

will cost you about 6 euro delivered. I bought one and it works perfectly.

• Advertisement

niallers1 wrote: »
    if you are living in the city then you can use a cheap aerial that you can buy on dealextreme.

will cost you about 6 euro delivered. I bought one and it works perfectly.

Indoor aerials will only work in certain areas and are extremely unrealiable and in my opinion are ugly sitting on top of your tv. or surrounding areas...

With the new DTT trials currently near completion, they may work better with increase power being transmitted, but unless you are close to woodcock you will need a proper aerial..

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I agree, If you have the money then a fixed roof top aerial is the way to go.

I have the 6 euro aerial that is only the size of a biro that picks up the DTT channells perfectly (I also have an mpeg4 tv) but it should also work for normal signal. I also need to have the aerial near a window. I'm in the city so not too far away from woodcock hill.

As I said Niall, those aerials are fine if you live close to Woodcock, terrible at other side of the city, also terrible on Analog...should work much better in 2-3 yrs time for digital when testing finishes and the analog signal is switched off...

Advertisement