Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basset Hound ear advice?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Roly the basset is nearly 8 months old and his ears are very long, even for a Basset! My sister also has a basset and his ears are much shorter. While very cute they also present a problem as as soon as his lowers his head at all the ears are getting dragged along the ground (and through whatever disgusting gunk he was sniffing). The upshot of this is that (a) they're constantly getting wet and mucky and (b) the ends of them are getting rubbed bald by gravel and concrete and can sometimes get cracked and sore.
    I don't mind the wet and mucky part so much as we can wash and dry them, though I am a bit concerned about the winter when it'll be cold - could they get frostbitten?
    But I hate when they look sore and get nicked. He doesn't seem to notice but I'd be afraid they could get infected. I try to keep them clean but it's really a losing battle...
    I was just wondering if there are any other basset people out there who experience similar problems? Anyone have any tips?
    Are there any good creams/lotions I can use to sooth and clean the damaged ends?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've got Otterhounds so I can sympathise with you. I use Vaseline on the rims of their ears. I clean the ends every other day and coat them in vaseline. I find it's the only way to stop them from cracking/hardening. If they are cracked them Calendula creme takes care of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

Hey Op,

We have two Basset hounds so I hear what you're saying. Spring, summer, autumn winter its a constant struggle keeping their ears dry be it drinking from their water bowl or rain etc.....I swear they could find water in a rock! I try to keep them as dry as possible, bit of a wipe with a towel etc etc when they come in from a walk, play or whatever as you have been doing.

+1 on what Egar said about vaseline, comes in very handy in the winter months esp when it gets very cold. Our twos main method of playing is pulling each other around by the ears, this seems to bother me more then the dogs as it looks painful but if either step over the mark the other lets out a yelp! As a result their ears can get fairly cracked etc I just keep an eye on the nicks and cuts until they are healed haven't had a problem so far. There ears seem to be fairly sturdy appendages!!

We did consider putting a head band around their head to hold the ears up but decided that was a step too far and they wouldnt thank us for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

:D Just picturing Roly in a headband...

Thanks EGAR, LBD - I'll give the vaseline a go and hopefully it'll help. Can I use the same calendula cream on dogs as for humans? I have some upstairs somewhere...

It's the same with our collie and the ears...it's the first thing he goes for! He's very movement sensitive so I think the great flappy dangly things are just too much of a temptation for him to pass up. So it's ninja dart in to grab an ear, then he's off again running laps around the garden at light speed on his long legs and all poor old Roly can do is stand in the middle giving out and making futile lunges for revenge as Obi hurtles around.

Advertisement