Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daingean

Options
  • 16-07-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if there are many folks in here who live in or close by Daingean. I have a small question to ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

not too far from ya, whats up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Well I don't live there I am afraid. I live in North Wales. (Formally Liverpool) But my family were farmers in the Daingean area a few generations back and I was wondering if there are any of them left there.

I can't find any trace of my family surname in phonebooks or anything.

Surname is Robinette, ever hear of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 canny39

Hi - I grew up 3 miles from Daingean and don't know anyone of that name but I will ask my family and come back to you on it.

Thank you for that, I am not sure where they actually lived (that is the address) but I think it was to the North of Daingean.

I checked the 1911 census and there were three families with surname "Robinette" living in the townsland of Killaderry which is only 1KM north of Daingean, Co. Offaly.

I dont know will this link will work but its to the records of those three families
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?census_year=1911&surname=Robinette&firstname=&county=King's+Co.&townland=&ded=&age=&sex=&search=Search&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&birthplace=&language=&deafdumb=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=

otherwise go here and do a search yourself. FYI - Offaly was called Kings county back then.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Best thing you can do is look up the census. The surname sounds quite rare so you could easily find them!

I did a quick look on it for you:

Heres the linky...
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?census_year=1911&surname=Robinette&firstname=&county=King%27s+Co.&townland=&ded=&age=&sex=&search=Search&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&birthplace=&language=&deafdumb=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=

Note that offaly was known as king's county back in the day. I have no idea if Killaderry is near daingean so this might be way off the mark.

Hope it helps!

Edit: Haha, beaten to it! Only 1 minute too!! :-)

Edit: Haha, beaten to it! Only 1 minute too!! :-)

:)

ROFL yep I went down that route already guys.

William and judith Robinette were farmers on land owned by a Captain Ponsenby

In 1911 Judith is listed as a widow and had some children there.

I can not get any information before 1901 or after 1911, apart from family stories which may or may not be true.

(my grandfather was in Dublin lodging with his Aunt and Uncle in 1901 by the way)

Oh and by the way Daingean was Phillipstown when Offaly was King's County. Named by Mary Tudor for her husband Prince Phillip of Spain. (But I bet you knew all this)

By any chance did any of them work for Bord Na Mona? that whole area is surrounded by bogs that they own and lots of people in the area would have worked for them at some point from the mid 40's onwards.

Might be worth contacting BnM to see have they any record of them.

You could always contact the local primary school and see do they have a record of any of them (provided the school is old enough and still has the attendance records)

After that I'm out of ideas

Didn't know about the Bord Na mona thing thank you for that.

I was thinking of popping over in person (Only an hour and a half to get to Ireland from here by boat) Not sure how to get to Daingean from Dublin though. What is the public transport like? And is there a place (hotel or something) in Daingean where I could hole up for a couple of days while I checked stuff out?

• Advertisement

I just had a thought though, with the name being so unusual, a telephone directory search might dig someone up. Are Irish telephone directories also put online at all does anyone know?

There is no reason to suppose that if my grandfather left Daingean the rest of the family actually stayed in the area.

Daingean is about 70 miles or an hour and a quarter from the M50 ring road that surrounds Dublin. Its motorway most of the way and you'll probably go through two tolls along the way.

Dont know of anywhere you could stay in the village. Im sure theres a b&b somewhere there. Edenderry is a larger town about 20 minutes drive from there and im sure theres a hotel there somewhere.

Public transport doesnt really exist in this area so dont rely on it at all. bring/rent a car instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm the manager of the local soccer team in Daingean and I can say I've never heard of that name. We'll be training again tomorrow morning so I'll ask all the players if they heard of them. I'll ask a few of the pub owners and locals if ya like but that might take a while as I don't be out in the pubs as much as i used to.

In terms of getting here on Public transport a bus from Dublin passes through every two hours I think on the route from Dublin - Edenderry - Tullamore. Edenderry is approx ten minutes away with Tullamore about 15 minutes in the opposite direction. There is a hotel in Daingean but it is very seasonal. Prices and availability can be found here

Daingean itself is a small town and is usually very quiet, with no shopping and just a collection of pubs for the surrounding areas. The best time to visit is during the end of July and beginning of August as thats when the Daingean Festival is on and for someone visiting as a tourist its probably the best time to visit.

If you have any more questions I'll try answer or find you an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

See newsletter from 1994 at this link regarding Robinettes in King's County, hope it might help.

http://www.tiara.ie/newsletterindex.php

Thank you all for this info. I am searching like mad on all the info you have given me. Wonderful stuff.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

And they say we are all ignorant from offaly! Just look at the help we tried giving here!! 'Tis wonderful to see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

And they say we are all ignorant from offaly! Just look at the help we tried giving here!! 'Tis wonderful to see...

We also known as the faithful;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

As your ancestors were members of the Church of Ireland you should be able to get more details on them.
    It's a possibility that the family in Daingean either died out or moved on.
    It seems that your Great-Grandfather was born in the neighbouring county of Westmeath so perhaps this is where you should be looking.
    Sadly most of the older generation who would have been able to help you have nearly all died out. I have done alot of research into my own family background in Offaly.

It might be worth checking the Register of Deeds
    You should also pick up this excellent book "Tracing you Irish ancestors" if you havn't already seen it!
    http://www.gillmacmillan.ie/Ecom/Library3.nsf/CatalogByCategory/8376179FA94A188B802570C3004C61F4?OpenDocument

Lots of great advice here. Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wjrobin64

1994 listing for robinette is my posting

I am a cousin ?? to rubecula from wales.

this is what we are trying to find out.

looking for missing link Matthew W. Robinett born 1848
    married susan hutchinson in Dublin -who was Matthew's father were was he born ??

can anyone help ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I also live in Daingean, Rubecula, but I never heard of that surname. I know a few locals who have lived here 3 generations, I'll ask and see if I can also help.

Seanie.

they left the are when ulster became seperated. But they go back there as far as the 1770's. They married into the family of hugh collins- who is listed in griffiths valuation. also married into the family of william cunningham, he was a provost marshall in chargwe of the prison shps in boston-new york during the american revolution. Married dorinda robinett of said town.

thanks

bill

what is the board if it was agricultural -they were farmers one may have been on such board. Is there any papers on the grand canel going thru the town and being developed.

Bill

i have an older version of james ryan irish genealogy if anyone needs some reference to county materials available

I'm probable way off the mark here but the Reformatory school in Daingean was originally a military barracks, maybe the relative you're searching for was attached to the barracks before he became a farmer, have you searched the British Military records for that period.

My ancestor was in the 5th royal irish dragoons from 1770 to 995. He was a quartermaster in the regiment.

He had also meet with gideon ouseley in may 1791 in a tavern ther; were he was preaching as a methodist cavaly preaCHER.

zorabable robinette was mentioned in several books on gideon ; who later became a famous methodist preacher in the uk. It even says they visited each others home s and had bible study together.

his memoir were published in 1878 in LOndon. But I have yet to find it to review.

thanks,

Bill:rolleyes:

Seanie M wrote: »
    I also live in Daingean, Rubecula, but I never heard of that surname. I know a few locals who have lived here 3 generations, I'll ask and see if I can also help.

Seanie.
    Checking to see if you wre able to folow up on the friend network to see if they have heard of the surname. they left about 1918 when william robinette joined the royal ulster constabularty. they then moved to belfast.

thanks,

Bill;)

not too far from ya, whats up?

does the society have their publications in the local library ??

Trying to see if the surname Robinett shows up in more then just the daingean tomstone incription book.

They are not to forthcomg with placing information on line.

I have the family leaving in 1918 for the new ulster province.

before that to 1770. Zorabable Robinett born 1743-1744
    do not have his marriage or anything before this !!

thanks

www.offalyhistory.com

This site might be of help follow the link to www.irishmidlandsancestry.com it seems their records are not open to the public to view, but they'll search for you for a fee. Good luck in your search.

• Advertisement

What parish registers are available at the heritage center or Local LIbrary ?

I am trying to work on the Genealogy of the Robinett's of the area. they married into the family of Hugh collins trying to find the marriage cert or parish register if it exist.

thanks

Bill

Advertisement