Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well paved routes in Ireland ?

• 16-07-2010 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently returned from a holiday in Fuerteventura, where myself and a mate did a fair bit of road biking around the island. The hotel we stayed in was part of a sports holiday complex with a bike shop attached - we were able to rent out Specialized Tarmacs at good rates by ourselves, and also join up with group tours.

The conditions were pretty awesome. The island is relatively undeveloped so theres not much traffic, especially on the back roads..and they are maintained to a very high standard. There were some stretches were the surfaces were as smooth as marble. Hills and wind were moderate and sufficiently challenging . The landscape was beautiful in a rugged and desolate kind of way, and you were never to far from a sea view. What I particularly enjoyed were the descents on empty smooth tarmac roads. For me, this is what I love about road biking.

On returning I was soon back on the bike and off round some of the usual Dublin routes . And to be honest, pretty dismayed ( again )at the quality of our roads....where attention is often focused on avoiding cracks and bumps that might damage the bike rather than enjoying the ride. So I thought it might be an idea to compile a list of routes, (anywhere in the country - will travel ! ), where the surfaces were of a notably good quality for at least a decent stretch of the ride.

Apologies if this has been covered before on another thread, - but if anyone has any favourite, well maintained routes they'd like to share I'd love to know about them. Doesn't neccessarily have to include the blue skies and sunshine !:)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I know of none.

Sometimes I think we're totally mad living on this damp little island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@rocstar. Roads here are poor relative to the continent.

However if you are in Dublin, most of the roads (even backroads) around Co. Kildare are in pretty good shape relative to most county roads.

A route I take that is largely on good surface is Leixlip, Maynooth, Straffan, Kill, Steelstown. Rathcoole, Saggart, Kingswood, Dublin Outer Ringroad.
    About a 60km loop.
    Some of the road is top class relative to much of the other roads in and around Dublin. Hope that helps. Eustace/Dub

Also the roads from Maynooth, to Summerhill is in pretty good shape.

Naas - Curragh and Nass to Ballymore Eustace is reasonable.

I am coming to the opinion that Kildare has the best roads that I cycle on.

Was in Laois last year and some of the 3rd class back roads were very good indeed. Fresh asphalt. Great for descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

@rocstar - Just in relation to your holiday... Where abouts in Fuerteventura did you stay if you don't mind me asking? Myself and the OH are thinking of heading over late Sept/early Oct for 2 weeks and I might just try to convince her to head out for a little spin one of the days. Providing traffic's not mental. Any advice gratefully received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

niceonetom wrote: »

Sometimes I think we're totally mad living on this damp little island.

Big time :rolleyes:

@rocstar - Just in relation to your holiday... Where abouts in Fuerteventura did you stay if you don't mind me asking? Myself and the OH are thinking of heading over late Sept/early Oct for 2 weeks and I might just try to convince her to head out for a little spin one of the days. Providing traffic's not mental. Any advice gratefully received.

We stayed in a resort called Las Playitas ( http://www.playitas.info/ ), booked through travelrepublic.ie..was there in June and was really nice. I understand the weather is fine ( if a bit windy ) all year round, due to its latitude. The tours run by the resort bike shop were 40KM and 80 Km every second day or so. The 40 KM was a relaxed pace on a moderately hilly route. Traffic was very mild on the main roads, weekdays, although most of the loop was on the back roads were there were cars every 15 minutes or so. While riding in the group I found the the local drivers to be courteous. I'd recommend renting a car from the airport, fairly cheap, as the resort is quite isolated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

niceonetom wrote: »
    I know of none..

You're forgetting that 20 metres bit between Ongar and Clonee ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Haha, I was actually just asking him the same thing in pm. I will probably be heading there the same dates, 25/9-9/10 and I am also looking for cycling there. I 've already found some nice climbs :D

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Haha, I was actually just asking him the same thing in pm. I will probably be heading there the same dates, 25/9-9/10 and I am also looking for cycling there. I 've already found some nice climbs :D

wonder if they'll stick me on the payroll ??

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

AstraMonti wrote: »

Freaky sh1t altogether! Can't see me getting to do much on a bike seeing as the OH hasn't cycled since see was about 10. But I thought if we could just rent 2 bikes and head off ourselves. Wouldn't reckon the 40km tours would get a look in to be honest.

And @rocstar - definitely reckon you're on commission or something mate!;)

And @rocstar - definitely reckon you're on commission or something mate!;)

Shoulda thought of that...LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

ROK ON wrote: »
    @rocstar. Roads here are poor relative to the continent.

However if you are in Dublin, most of the roads (even backroads) around Co. Kildare are in pretty good shape relative to most county roads.

A route I take that is largely on good surface is Leixlip, Maynooth, Straffan, Kill, Steelstown. Rathcoole, Saggart, Kingswood, Dublin Outer Ringroad.
    About a 60km loop.
    Some of the road is top class relative to much of the other roads in and around Dublin. Hope that helps. Eustace/Dub

Hi ROK,

Any chance you could plot this route up on map my ride and send the link as i live in Clonee and it seems a good route.

Cheers
    Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

the OH hasn't cycled since see was about 10
    Suggest you consider renting an electric-bicycle for OH.

Advertisement