Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run out of ideas of what to bake

Options
  • 16-07-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Looks like it's going to be another miserable wet weekend but a good excuse to make something nummy.

Am thinking Whoopie pies again, perhaps a smaller version this time, but any suggestions for something chocolatey and ideally warm if this weather keeps going the way it is.

Something naughty perhaps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Chocolate brownies? I have a recipe for steamed chocolate puddings which are gorgeous but you're looking for something more snack type than desserty are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosymac

try nigella's choc bread nd butter pudding - warm, chocolately and totally yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Warm chocolate tart, chocolate fondants, chocolate fudge cake, salted chocolate butter cookies, chocolate bread, hot chocolate; any of those to your liking? I have recipes if you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Peanut Butter and Choc Chip Cookies, or blondies which are peanut butter and white choc kinda like muffins. Rachel Allen's bake book is great for ideas or i use uktv food website for ideas most of the recipes you have seen done on tv are posted on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

salted chocolate butter cookies

salt & chocolate being the best combination going (along with salt and caramel), could you share this recipe please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

little gingerbread men, with chocolate faces... hehe i can see them now....nom:pac:

Here you go:

Ingredients:
    • 175g Cake or Pastry flour (Plain is fine too)
    • 30g Cocoa powder
    • ½ tsp Baking soda
    • 150g Butter, at room temperature
    • 120g Light brown sugar
    • 50g Sugar
    • ½ tsp Fine sea salt
    • 1 tsp Vanilla
    • 150g 70% dark chocolate, chopped into chips
    Directions:
    1. Sift flour, cocoa and baking soda.
    2. Cream butter on medium speed until soft. Add sugars, salt and vanilla, beating for 1-2 mins.
    3. Sift in flour, mix until just combined. Add chocolate, mixing only to incorporate.
    4. Divide dough into two. Roll each half into a log 1.5” in diameter (may need to chill for 30 mins, as dough is very soft at this stage.) Wrap, refrigerate at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. The paste will be very hard.
    5. Slice into ½” rounds with a serrated knife. Bake @ 170c for 12 mins.
    It's best to bake them straight away after slicing them, into a pre-heated oven, as they keep their shape much better. Alternatively you can slice them and then freeze them on a baking sheet, to bake later. It's possible to slice them bigger, into 1" rounds, just increase the baking time by 5 mins. They won't look cooked or browned at the edges when they're done, but they'll be done.

Here you go:

spongebob ledgepants, thanks a million!

salt & chocolate being the best combination going (along with salt and caramel)
    Speaking of which, I have a nice recipe for rich cocoa brownies with almonds and salted butter caramel sauce topping. It's delicious just warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream; will post it later.

Cocoa Almond Brownies with Salted Butter Caramel Sauce

Makes 1 x 8x8” square

Ingredients:
    • 170g Butter, melted
    • 105g Cocoa powder
    • 200g Sugar
    • 2 Eggs, cold
    • 70g Plain flour
    • 65g Almonds, salted & roasted (optional)
    • 2 Tbsp Salted butter caramel sauce (recipe below)
    • 1/8 tsp Salt
    • 150g Caster sugar
    Directions:
    1. Melt butter. Whisk in cocoa powder.
    2. Add sugar. Add eggs one at a time.
    3. Add flour. Finally, add almonds.
    4. Pour into lightly greased and lined tray. Drizzle caramel sauce on top. Optionally, you can pour 50% brownie batter, then some SBC sauce, then repeat. You can add more sauce than indicated.
    5. Bake @ 160c for 40-45mins. I find baking brownies at 170-180c or higher really dries them out. 160c is perfect for keping them nice and moist.
    Salted Butter Caramel Sauce

Ingredients:
    • 200g Sugar
    • 85g Butter, cubed
    • 140g Double cream
    Directions:
    1. Caramelise sugar in a 2-3L pot.
    2. Whisk in butter. Remove from heat, add cream.
    3. Add fine sea salt if not salty enough for your tastes.
    • Keeps for 2 weeks, refrigerated

• Advertisement

Cocoa Almond Brownies with Salted Butter Caramel Sauce

I am invited to a friends house for dinner this weekend- these are absolutely coming with me. God they sound amazing

This part made me laugh though 'Keeps for 2 weeks, refrigerated', I can guarantee they will get nowhere near the fridge, in fact they'll be lucky to get out of the baking tray before being devoured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Chocolate and banana cake are the best ever!

Serve warm so the choc is still a bit gooey.

Advertisement