Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla 1.6

Options
  • 16-07-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tried the beta release? It's looking like a fairly substantial upgrade, you can now add groups to joomla without the need for any extensions.

I can't find a features list or what else has actually changed but it certainly looks nice at the back end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

http://docs.joomla.org/What's_new_in_Joomla_1.6

I've been following it via SVN for about a year. From a users point of view there are not really any features being added that were not already available (3rd Party) for 1.5. The bulk of the changes are with the Joomla framework which means developers having to totally rewrite all extensions which in turn mean it won't be viable for end users (site developers) to switch over for some time to come - at least another 12-18 months I would think.

Many many people switched their site from 1.0 to 1.5. I can't see anyone needing to switch from 1.5 to 1.6. So for me, 1.6 will be for new developments only.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was half wondering if I'm making a new site if I should use 1.6 from now on but there is very few extensions moved over, though there does seem to be a good few developers planning to have their extensions ready by the time joomla 1.6 is.

Joomla does seem to be making website development much more accessible than Drupal.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Left

I reckon I'll be approaching it in the same way Scotty suggests, and the time-line of 12-18 months sounds about right for majority uptake.
    I can see myself introducing 1.6 soon, for new content-based sites using no extensions, and then as my extensions of choice are made compatible.
    I'm really please Joomla have finally replaced their table-heavy content layouts, and the new templating methods involving styles is where I'll be experimenting most. Also, the push for 3rd party devs to rewrite (as much as I sympathise with them!) should increase MVC adoption which I find sorely lacking even amongst some widely used extensions. I'm excited. I like new toys :)

Advertisement