Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Rumour] Matt Smith to quit 'Who' next year?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭

Hope it's a rumour and nothing more!
    Matt Smith reportedly plans to quit Doctor Who next year.

The actor, who is currently filming the show's Christmas special, hopes to crack Hollywood by landing more movie roles, reports The Sun.

"Matt plans to quit after the next series," a friend told the paper.

"He is eager to try new things and thinks Hollywood beckons."

Production on the next series will begin when filming of the special is completed.

A BBC spokesperson added: "Matt is filming the Christmas special and then goes on to film the second series. Beyond that, the BBC and Matt won't speculate on things."

Smith will also star as Christopher Isherwood in BBC2 drama Christopher And His Kind later this year.

The actor recently told DS that he loved playing the Doctor and did not want "to give it up any time soon", quipping that he could continue in the role for "50 million years".
    Source: DigitalSpy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 6av1n

Apparantly he has a 5 year contract - but I suppose that means nothing really with TV as fickle as it is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Basquille, I know you're new to doctor who, this is a constant. :)

Next week, the next children in need will have a special with ALL the living doctors! ZOMG!

Then the week after david tennant and RTD will reunite in a Dr Who film.

Then the week after, Rose will be coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The worrying thing is the last one generally turns out to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Matt Smith reportedly plans to quit Doctor Who next year.

The actor, who is currently filming the show's Christmas special, hopes to crack Hollywood by landing more movie roles, reports The Sun.
    Stopped reading there, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think Matt Smith enjoys the role too much and gets too much input into the creative process to want to leave the role so soon, and for that reason there is no truth to the rumour...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You know where I stopped reading? The point where it said "...reports The Sun.". There's bullplop, and then there's the bullplop that The Sun produces.

This is the same paper that "revealed" Eddie Izzard, David Hasselhoff & Paul Daniels as being in talks to take over the role when the New Series was first announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dancingmonkey08

Yea, the Sun said it so I can see this as yet another pointless stupid rumour cooked up by a paper thats only made for us to enjoy the pictures in it

I think Matt is signed up for three years with an optional two years because the BBC dont want to lose him so soon. I read it here: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/02/doctor-who-matt/

I know long-term fans are used to seeing someone in the role of the Doctor for around three years but I really dont think that is long enough for someone to be in the role. Now I know I am being too enthusiastic, but is there anyone else who really wants another Doctor for a Tom Baker-seven years? Is there anyone else who could see this happening? I know there is more options for British actors today than there was in Tom Baker's day but I would love to see Matt stay for that long maybe with another gap year in the middle to give him time to go film a movie or tv show

Plus another thing, as Matt is the youngest Doctor so far, if he stayed for 7 years, he will only be 33 when he is leaving, the age Peter Davison gave up the role at and the age David Tennant joined the show at. I love Matt's performance and he makes you believe he could be a 907 year old Time Lord but there is times when you see his youth come through, it would be nice to see how he would play the Doctor with a little bit more maturity

Advertisement