Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime & Manga for Newbies

Options
  • 02-03-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm looking for your suggestions for an anime series.
    I LOVE Dragonabll, Tenchi and Gundam Wing so is there anything similar out there for a newbie?

Also is there any networks that show these animes online (money is a bit tight and I'm currently saving up for the Gundam boxset) or any legal website?
    I'm not into downloading - I prefer to have the actual boxsets. But I'm broke at the moment so any free viewing animes out there would be greatly appreciated. When I win the lotto I'll have a library full of animes :D

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

good starters would be Death Note, Elfen Lied, Fullmetal Alchemist, then delve into deeper and weirder things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Crunchy Roll is legal :)

If you like nice fight scenes, I suppose you'll like bleach and naruto.
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is also an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Eureka 7 is definitely worth a watch.

Maybe try Escaflowne as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Bleach, excel saga, Hellsing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

It's rather telling that half of the suggestions made here make me want to reach into the internet and slap people.

Long Version:
    If you liked Wing Gundam, I recommend Gundam 00 or Macross Frontier.
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is also good, Bleach varies from great to terrible on an episode per episode basis.
    I wouldn't watch the original Full Metal Alchemist now that Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood has as many episodes and is much better.
    Most Lupin III movies are really enjoyable.

Short Version:
    Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still (1991)
    Watch this, forget about anything else and just watch this.
    You won't need another show ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

It's not that I LIKE bleach or naruto, it just strikes me as something he should check out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 orchiles

naruto, death note, and bleach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bell22

good starters would be Death Note, Elfen Lied, Fullmetal Alchemist, then delve into deeper and weirder things :D

wow, deathnote? I think the story is pretty heavy for a newbie :D, unless you love complicated, twisted plot ;)
    fitz0 wrote: »
    Eureka 7 is definitely worth a watch.

Maybe try Escaflowne as well.
    Hotaru wrote: »

all of those mecha anime is great...and I keep watching Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann again and again...never really get bored with this one :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

OP, try out Naruto, the first 5 or 6 seasons are really good (tend to be a fair few filler episodes in the seasons after that). I came off DBZ and Gundam myself and felt right at home watching Naruto, it's in the same ballpark.

I haven't started Shippuden yet so I can't comment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Rah-xephon is definitely one to watch, Full metal panic is decent too but rah-xephon is easily one of the better anime of any genre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Death Note. It's great. Bleach too. It's wonderful. Hellsing. It's fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Rah-xephon is definitely one to watch,

Definitely, how could I forget it? Its up there with Evangelion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

If you like complicated or dark stories I'd suggest:
    Death Note, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, Elfen Lied

Other than that I'd try:
    Naruto, Bleach, Claymore, Jyu-Oh-Sei, D-Gray Man, Full Metal Alchemist, Code Geass, Darker Than Black, Hellsing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

fooly cooly anyone :pac:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Speedgrapher FTW!

It's the story of a photographer who is imbibbed with a power directly related to the thing that gives him the most pleasure in life: snapping off photographs. Ends up getting the power to blow up anything he photographs.
    It's pretty epic, the animation and story is fairly consistant AAAAND the main protagonist is voiced by Chris "Vegeta" Sabat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Rosario + Vampire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Code Geass
    Death Note
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

(In no particular order, all awesome)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Hey guys - thanks for all of your wonderful suggestions. I've written out a list - they all sound really good.

So far I've watched Speed Grapher (which I loved) - thanks for recommending it. I wish there was more than one series (although they ended things pretty well).

Now not sure what to watch next. One thing is for sure I've plenty of choice.
    Thanks again, I really appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

McChubbin wrote: »
    Speedgrapher FTW!

It's the story of a photographer who is imbibbed with a power directly related to the thing that gives him the most pleasure in life: snapping off photographs. Ends up getting the power to blow up anything he photographs.
    It's pretty epic, the animation and story is fairly consistant AAAAND the main protagonist is voiced by Chris "Vegeta" Sabat. :D

That is what sold me on Speed Grapher!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Animefan42

Is elfin lied good? i have watched death note and started to watch fma but i got distracted.

I did try to watch it but I had barely started the first episode before i saw something else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Animefan42 wrote: »
    Is elfin lied good? i have watched death note and started to watch fma but i got distracted.

I did try to watch it but I had barely started the first episode before i saw something else.

to be honest the beginning puts a lot of people off, depending on their taste in anime really, but it's really really good. it's so sad near the end though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

No love for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? I'm a complete newbie with anime series but got into it after watching the first 2 Ghost in the Shell movies recently and am loving it so far, so well written!
    Is Evangelion similarly adult? I just read the blurb on wiki that Hotaru linked to but a crack team of mech piloting pubescent teens would lead me to believe no. :p I have a copy of one of the Evangelion films on dvd somewhere from a few years ago but never watched it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Full Metal Panic (no love for this one? /hang head in sorrow)
    Code Geass
    Gundam 00
    Slayers (really old school style but oh so much I have laughed with this series, only do first two seasons)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fist of the north star.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TMC_Ledge

jesus christ, things get wierder than elfen lied?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TMC_Ledge

No love for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? I'm a complete newbie with anime series but got into it after watching the first 2 Ghost in the Shell movies recently and am loving it so far, so well written!
    Is Evangelion similarly adult? I just read the blurb on wiki that Hotaru linked to but a crack team of mech piloting pubescent teens would lead me to believe no. :p I have a copy of one of the Evangelion films on dvd somewhere from a few years ago but never watched it.

some ppl are big fans of the show but dont expect it to be anything like the movies. i was the same as u and tbh i thought the show was unbearable to watch after the 2 movies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd also recommend wild arms and angel cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No mention of Berserk yet?

I can't recommend that show enough. The manga too. They're both absolutely epic. Some great great characters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

I really liked Howls Moving Castle so what other cartoons of that type would I like?
    I'm not a huge fan of anime or manga but really loved the above mentioned one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement