Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Killarney Sunday August 1st

Options
  • 16-07-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭

As some of ye might be aware Boards is involved with a Charity drive around Ireland called All The Way Round, with all money received being donated to Barretstown Camp. At the end of our second day of travelling, Sunday 1st August, we will be stopping overnight in Killarney. What we are stuck for is ideas here as to where is a good place in Killarney to eat and somewhere to go for a few drinks to round off the night. I realise these questions have probably been asked a ton of times on this forum but I'd be hoping the answers could be more specific to our group 10-15 people, mostly lads with an age range from late teens to late 20's. Its also the bank holiday Sunday night so we realise we're asking a bit late.

Requirements for restaurant:
    1. Capable of seating 10-15 comfortably spread over as little tables as possible. (3x5 rather than 7x2)
    2. Not too expensive or upmarket as we'll be after driving all day, most of us alone and will be wanting a bit of a chat and banter without upsetting others
    3. Somewhere central with adequate parking for up to 10 cars.
    4. Somewhere that'll take a reservation for a table.

Requirements for night out after the dinner:
    1. Somewhere central and close to the Malton Hotel where we will be staying.
    2. Somewhere a few tables can be reserved.
    3. Somewhere that might off to help us out with a bit of sponsorship would be a huge bonus.
    4. Somewhere thats lively but not too loud as we want to be able to talk without being drowned out by music/crowd etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or even if anyone wants to come for a few drinks with us on the night just let us know.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

P.S Just a quick thank you to the mods for backing us and this thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

This is the Bank holiday Weekend and also the final day of the Irish Open and because of this it is expected that Killarney will be pretty Full.

The Malton has its own Car Park so parking should not be a problem.

For a reasonable meal try Macs on Main St. or Stonechat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

You really won't need parking for the restaurant anyway, the malton is central, there are not too many restaurant in town that would be any more than five minutes walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks guys,

I was in Killarney last summer so know it well enough and have an idea of restaurant's,

We would definately be walking into town and leaving the cars parked up at the hotel.

I remember a nice restaurant upstairs in a place called the failte hotel, anyone reccomend it? know its name?

Is there anywhere we could head for a few drinks then afterwards?

draffodx wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

I was in Killarney last summer so know it well enough and have an idea of restaurant's,

We would definately be walking into town and leaving the cars parked up at the hotel.

I remember a nice restaurant upstairs in a place called the failte hotel, anyone reccomend it? know its name?

Is there anywhere we could head for a few drinks then afterwards?

That's just the Failte, I don't believe they have a seperate name for the restaurant.

There are 50 odd pubs in Killarney, you should have no trouble finding a place to drink. You may have a problem finding a quiet place with lots of big tables though. Most places will have music blaring on a bank holiday weekend.

oeb wrote: »
    That's just the Failte, I don't believe they have a seperate name for the restaurant.

There are 50 odd pubs in Killarney, you should have no trouble finding a place to drink. You may have a problem finding a quiet place with lots of big tables though. Most places will have music blaring on a bank holiday weekend.

Yeh thats very true,

Is there a late bar maybe that might allow us to enjoy the bank holiday eve?

Or has anyone any links to places that might offer us a discount or even help us with a bit of fund raising on the night?

• Advertisement

Yeh thats very true,

Is there a late bar maybe that might allow us to enjoy the bank holiday eve?

Or has anyone any links to places that might offer us a discount or even help us with a bit of fund raising on the night?

With regard to fund raising, sorry, not a notion but late bars:

The Lough Inn (Used to be the Granary)
    McSorleys
    Scruffies
    Scotts
    Mustang Sallys
    The Grand Hotel (Cover charge after 11)

That's off the top of my head, some of the above have nightclubs attached if that sort of thing floats your boat. Expect to pay 8-10 euro entry fee for a club on a bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭coleen

The Malton has lovely bar food at good prices so I would contact them for a deal and they have lots of nice sitting areas and a nice bar that would have room for a group so there would be plenty of room for a chat. As already said it will be the final day of the Irish open golf so a busy day all round, there are lots of bars in Killarney also Hannigans do good bar food and have a privare area just of the bar that you might be able to reserve it is part of the International hotel very close to the Malton so I would check out both of those

Only just over 4 days to go :D

Be great if anyone interested wanted to meet up with us in Killarney.

I may be around Sunday night. Have ye decided where ye are heading yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Only just over 4 days to go :D

Be great if anyone interested wanted to meet up with us in Killarney.

cool, sure send me on a PM with any details.

• Advertisement

Not yet no, as we cant be sure what time we'll actually be there we cant book anything, we should be there between 7pm and 9pm though if all goes to plan.
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    cool, sure send me on a PM with any details.

Will do,

You can keep an eye out in the forum too for any details > Boards All The Way Round Forum

Thanks to all for their help, the malton was a great hotel and we enjoyed (well some of us) the great breakfast they do!

We hit a pub and club for a few drinks then.

Killarney was crazy busy!

Advertisement