Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad neighbours

Options
  • 16-07-2010 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

We have bad neighbours, husband and wife.

when We grow vegetable at our yard, they steal them, so we stop it; when we grow flowers at our yard, they steal the plant

and leave big holes on the ground, so we stop it; when we use solid fuel for heating, they steal the coal and timber from our

shed; Now we installed the central heating, they steal the oil from the tank.

We called police in a couple of times, but they are smart enouth to not leave enough evidences. If we argue with them, there

were always strange things happening afterwards, the car was cratched or the windows were broken. They even threatened to

burn our house or do something to our children, my wife was frightened she told me to leave it alone.

We have house alarm and We are thinking of install CCTV but I believe that is not going to stop them stealing and hassling us

for the long term.

We are thinking of moving away but we couldn't, we are on big mortage at moment.

They are both claiming social welfare and working for the past 30 years. they are living in a rented county council house for

the past 30 year. Now the county council is going to renovate the house for them because they destroied house to a

unlivingable condition and the wife is claiming she is having health issues due to damp house. It seems county council offered

them houses in some other areas but they refuse to take it.

Both of them made isurance claim from different car accidents and got a lot of money before.

Any smart people here can give us some idea about how to get rid of these neighbours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Just goes to show what kind of joke this country is when scum like that are being treated like royalty by the country council...

You probably not going to get rid of these people at all, best thing you can do is catch them in the act with photos/video then report it, at least you'll have proof... And put a lock on your shed and the lid of the oil tank!

You should also rat on them for working and claiming the dole, thats the first thing I would've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 G998e

I did report to social welfare but nothing happening, now they are going to get a brand new house with wheelchair accessibility due to the wife claims she has arthritis and mobility problem...

My kids used to help a 80 years old lady whom also our neighbour, they asked me why the government helps them (the husband and wife) to renovate their house while not help the old lady to fix her small cottage. I really don't know how to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Not a State Benefits issue - moving to Accomodation and Property. Sorry Mods if its the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Barbed wire and electricified fencing around your crops and plants
    If anyone asks tell them it's to keep out animals....which it is ;)
    Any local farmer will install in as a nixer

If they are getting into your shed, how secure is it? Are they breaking padlocks?
    They are fantastic chains you can buy, designed for motorcycles.

Go ahead with the CCTV and make it obvious.
    And get a guard dog

Your home is your castle

Would the local paper do a story? Shame the council into taking action.
    Doesn't have to be specific or name people and addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Get a proper padlock put on the fuel tank ,like a motorbike lock padlock.the hardware store on the left, mary st,dublin 1 has large locks there 8 to 16 euro.its near capel street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

G998e wrote: »
    I did report to social welfare but nothing happening, now they are going to get a brand new house with wheelchair accessibility due to the wife claims she has arthritis and mobility problem...

Put a stick in her spokes, that'll teach 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

T N S = trap neuter spay

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I agree with feelingstressed and 00Blaine00 - the country is a joke allowing people to live like this - freeloading at the taxpayers expense and making a living doing it. You need to secure your house by whatever means you can and you need to report these thieving, scamming low-lifes immediately to whomever necessary and don't rest until you get action. These 'people' should not be living in accommodation that is paid for by the taxpayer and it galls me that because they ran it into the ground themselves and yet are getting it renovated at additional costs to the taxpayer even though they have worked.

when our oil was stolen, we reported to the garda, there was oil traces from our tank into their yard, but they (husband and wife) able to proof that they were not at home, but other neighbours saw one of their son was around their house on that day. A week later, our oil tank started to leak, there was a obvious footprint on the bottom tap of the tank.

We got a guard dog after that, soon they got a german sherpherd puppy.They starved, locked and beaten the poor puppy and trained the puppy to ****tttt into neighbours' yard so they don't need to clean the dog ****ttt. One of my neighbour argued to them and told them she was going to report to the garda, the husband cleaned the lady's yard but the poor lady almost had road accident on an icying morning a month later because tyre was punctured.

My wife was scared, she told me keep quite since they only release the dog to ****ttt in the evening, she will clean our yard. But one summer afternoon when **** was still a baby, my wife and her was enjoyed sun in the yard, the german sherpherd run into our yard and almost bitten the child. My wife rang the "999", she was told because it is not an emergency, she should contact local garda, when she contacted local garda, she was told, because the dog didn't bite her baby (even is a miss bite) and she was safe indoor (she run back to the house), she should contact dog warant. My wife rang the neighbour's house, the wife answered the phone, said the dog skipped the shelter accidently, she had to wait for her husband home to get dog back and she didn't know when her husband can be home. I rushed home from my work and got german shepherd back into the shelter, the shelter was wide opened and door was hooked (would a dog able to hooked up the door?). I reported to the dog warant afterwards, but seems they only concern about whether you have dog license or not?

Those are only a few examples of what is going on. I have tried whatever I could to secure our home except CCTV (which I am planning to intall though it is another big budget for us), but strange things kept happening.

We moved to countryside a few years ago and thought that is the best environment for our children to grow up, but now we even afraid to walk freely in our own yard. We gave up to do any gardening this year and told kids don't play in the yard unless there are adults around.

the neibhours, husband and wife have five children, all grow up and follow their parents path claiming on social welfare, only one of them is working while claiming social welfare, two of them are single mothers but living with their boyfriends, some of them are suffering from diabetics (is there a way to cheat also?). Two years ago, one of her daughter, a single mother was pregant and fell from stairs in a restaurant, thus she lose her baby. The wife seems very proud of telling everyone that her daughter sue the restaurant and won the case recently and got lots of money. Same tragety happened to her sister a few years ago.

I know the neighbours refused the offers from county council to move to other areas. But is there any other way to persuade county council to order the neighbours to move away rather than renovate the house for them? There are plenty of council house vacant in the town, and better neibghourhood watch.

any idea?

• Advertisement

Barbed wire and electricified fencing around your crops and plants
    If anyone asks tell them it's to keep out animals....which it is ;)
    Any local farmer will install in as a nixer

If they are getting into your shed, how secure is it? Are they breaking padlocks?
    They are fantastic chains you can buy, designed for motorcycles.

Go ahead with the CCTV and make it obvious.
    And get a guard dog

Your home is your castle

Would the local paper do a story? Shame the council into taking action.
    Doesn't have to be specific or name people and addresses.
    not so sure about get in with local paper. The neighbours are shame but they are also smart people with a lot of local connections (they are working for farmers around and take cash income). My wife is afraid if they know anything about it, they will revenge on our kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We are thinking of install CCTV but I believe that is not going to stop them stealing and hassling us for the long term.
    From the sounds of it, they'll just break the CCTV. Better just get a camcorder, and video them without their knowledge: have something to back up your story with getting them evicted.

not so sure about get in with local paper. The neighbours are shame but they are also smart people with a lot of local connections (they are working for farmers around and take cash income). My wife is afraid if they know anything about it, they will revenge on our kids.

Ok, another idea so since you're not willing to do anything

Sit back, be a victim and vent on boards since you won't confront your neighbors or defend your property.
    And even if you called the gardai and were not satisfied you did not escalate to the superintendent. Why not?

Some people are bullies and look for soft touch victims and your neighbors certainly have found them. Ignore the advice freely given but at least stand up for your wife and your children and yourself. You are the man of the house right?

Nobody here even said confront them, just gave defensive measures like wire for the crops and CCTV and you won't even do these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

OP by any chance are these 'neighbours' of yours gangland criminals?

It is legal to possess firearms for hunting animals in this country? If so i suggest you to acquire some guns and ammunition. Honestly though if what you said in your earlier posts is true then i really think you need to arm yourself and your family. These 'people' sound like absolute scum-shoot to kill if what i say. Say it was self defense-which it probably will be.

Gangland criminals concentrate on the major stuff.
    Wouldn't be risking getting in trouble over stealing crops or oil or breaking into sheds

Seriously, who would risk coming to attention of the gardai over stealing vegetables and flowers.
    Not established criminals anyway, they have other things to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Look, the councils don't give a flying phluck who they put into housing. You can complain to them as much as you can but they might look upon you as a snob and ignore you.

Best bet is try to move away or if you can't, maybe if you have a political contact to force the issue councilwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If they are taking cash then they are cheating on ?? welfare ?? or tax? you can report them then.

NB being victimised for reporting is not funny; we are being thus treated for reporting animal abuse, to the extent that we are moving. And almost were assaulted also.

The gardai know and are supportive.

But OP do something; please!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

hello932 wrote: »
    OP by any chance are these 'neighbours' of yours gangland criminals?

It is legal to possess firearms for hunting animals in this country? If so i suggest you to acquire some guns and ammunition.

Because gunfights with 'gangland criminals' make everything better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

look at www.aldi,ie ,www.lidl.ie they have security cameras every few months,60 euro ,put a camera facing the garden inside top floor window,connect to a lp long play vcr ,lp tape mode= 8 hours.LEAVE it on record ,when you catch them doing something serious ,go to the council.USE camera that has rca out video, connects to tv or any vcr thru rca in scart unit, scart unit cost 4 euro.vcr = video recorder ,cost 50 euro buyandsell ,make sure it has lp long play record mode.lp 4hour tape=8hours recording time.
    i saw program on rte ,re intimidation ,the council did nothing UNTIL the victim brought in video of their neighbour trespassing.IF they are getting new house ,then they will be leaving anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Just goes to show what kind of joke this country is when scum like that are being treated like royalty by the country council...

You probably not going to get rid of these people at all, best thing you can do is catch them in the act with photos/video then report it, at least you'll have proof... And put a lock on your shed and the lid of the oil tank!

You should also rat on them for working and claiming the dole, thats the first thing I would've done.
    Just to let you know that if you do that and they still intend on stealing your oil they will just drill through the tank and you'll have to replace that too.

Look up on line and you should find some cheap cctv equipment and get a cctv sign as this may deter them along with some motion sensing lights (caged front so they cannot be easily broken). Keep a diary of anything to do with your neighbours (arguments, etc.) and stay stum until you have the enough evidence. You can then call the guards with legitimate proof and then call the co-co to have them rehoused and also take a cicvil case for damages due to loss/stress.
    No quick fix I'm afraid and be careful what you do as you could find yourself in trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement