Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog leads!!

Options
  • 16-07-2010 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Disater!!my dog chewed her lead yesterday into 2 pieces!! OH left it on the couch! Anyway i went to 3 pets shop today trying to get a replacement but with no luck, All they have is small flimsy ones and as my pup is a rottie i need a decent strong one! I was luking at a chain ones but they wouldn't even hold a cat, anybody know where i could get a decent one suitable for a rottie?at the mo i'm using the horses lead rein which isn't great. somebody else recommended a check chain( not a choke chain) but i never heard of these

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Check chain is a variation on the choke chain. A choke chain is a collar made entirely of chain, which tightens as the dog (or the owner) pulls on the lead. The "choke" is not just a name, serious injury can be caused by these chains choking the dog.

A check chain is a leather loop with a chain piece that's attached the lead. They operate similarly - when the dog pulls, the leather loop tightens around their neck. The difference is that the leather loop is less likely to cause skin damage than a pure chain and the tightness is also limited by the length of the leather loop. A choke chain by contrast, is only limited by the circumference of the dog's neck :(

However, you'll find that most trainers discourage the use of a check chain on the same basis that you wouldn't use a choke chain.

I wouldn't really advise on a chain lead unless your dog walks well on a loose leash. I tend to shorten my leads to get more control of the dog by wrapping them around my hand/arm. If you do this with a chain lead it's very painful.

Since you have a workaround for the moment, maybe go for a good adjustable leather leash online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭stinky eggs

lisar201 wrote: »
    Disater!!my dog chewed her lead yesterday into 2 pieces!! OH left it on the couch! Anyway i went to 3 pets shop today trying to get a replacement but with no luck, All they have is small flimsy ones and as my pup is a rottie i need a decent strong one! I was luking at a chain ones but they wouldn't even hold a cat, anybody know where i could get a decent one suitable for a rottie?at the mo i'm using the horses lead rein which isn't great. somebody else recommended a check chain( not a choke chain) but i never heard of these

Hrrmm Ive two Golden Labs.. Leads arent great but if you get a haltie it really helps?

Anyone use these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Woodies/ atlantic home care do one by nobbey that is very comfy to hold (i have an akita)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

seamus wrote: »
    Check chain is a variation on the choke chain. A choke chain is a collar made entirely of chain, which tightens as the dog (or the owner) pulls on the lead. The "choke" is not just a name, serious injury can be caused by these chains choking the dog.

A check chain is a leather loop with a chain piece that's attached the lead. They operate similarly - when the dog pulls, the leather loop tightens around their neck. The difference is that the leather loop is less likely to cause skin damage than a pure chain and the tightness is also limited by the length of the leather loop. A choke chain by contrast, is only limited by the circumference of the dog's neck :(

However, you'll find that most trainers discourage the use of a check chain on the same basis that you wouldn't use a choke chain.

I wouldn't really advise on a chain lead unless your dog walks well on a loose leash. I tend to shorten my leads to get more control of the dog by wrapping them around my hand/arm. If you do this with a chain lead it's very painful.

Since you have a workaround for the moment, maybe go for a good adjustable leather leash online?

Sorry, I know its OT but a check chain and choke chain are one and the same. They are not supposed to be choke chains, they are supposed to be check chains, you are not supposed to choke the dog with one, they pull, you jerk the lead, the chain tightens and the dog is checked. I don't use them anymore, but obviously times change, and when I used to go to training classes they were used a lot. The best trainer I went to explained that they were check chains, not choke chains. People also put them on upside down all the time, if the dog pulls and then comes back, the chain should be released if it is put on right, unfortunately they are not usually and so the chain stays tight on the dog's neck, hence the choke! The type of collar that is material with a bit of chain in it is a half-check collar.

There are a lot of good leads available on line OP. I really like the halti type training lead, my vet sells them, maybe check out local vets if the pet shops aren't any good. I use bungee leads now for my lot, really help if they suddenly pull, my arm doesn't pulled out of its socket anymore (I have huskies and don't like to discourage pulling too much):D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ISDW wrote: »
    I use bungee leads now for my lot, really help if they suddenly pull, my arm doesn't pulled out of its socket anymore (:D

Oh these sound interesting - any links? I'll be getting a new harness for our guy this week and need to get a new lead to match it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Nylon Rope leads are great for the biggies. Thick and strong dont hurt the hand and also cheap! link below

http://www.baumanns.ie/product_info.php/cPath/295_254/products_id/2079?Baumid=2989978c12d538b28afc7315cf34c5de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

cjf wrote: »
    Nylon Rope leads are great for the biggies. Thick and strong dont hurt the hand and also cheap! link below

http://www.baumanns.ie/product_info.php/cPath/295_254/products_id/2079?Baumid=2989978c12d538b28afc7315cf34c5de

tanx a mill i'll order one of those later 2nite!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dellytots

Halti training leads are the best. Very strong and comfortable. You may have to get it on line though

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

You can get a chain link lead with a leather handle. Its a standard lead with a keychain type of clip on it. The dog will not chew through that. Just clip the lead onto the dogs collar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

Halties are the best thing for large breeds that have a tendency to pull, they operate the way leads do when training foals, they tighten around the nose and turn it down thus preventing the dog from throwing all their weight into the lead and dragging you along. Vet clinics generally sell them as they are the best thing for hyper dogs. :) They come in different sizes so make sure yours is the right fit or it won't work.

ISDW why do you not want to stop your huskies from pulling too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Tryst wrote: »

ISDW works her huskies so they pull sleds/bikejoring etc so she needs them to pull those so id imagine thats why.

Tryst wrote: »

Andreac is right, I know the theory is that you are supposed to teach them to walk nicely on the collar, and pull in harness, but I've never been able to achieve that, and most mushers in the UK don't do that, except of course the ones that show as well, then its essential that the dogs will walk nicely around a ring. I work the dogs, so want them to pull, its a natural instinct in them, so I just like to encourage it.

Sorry, forgot about this thread, don't know if I can put this up, these are the Manmat bungee leads that I really like, sold by a company in Ireland http://www.countryhounds.ie/Product.aspx?product=210. And I used to use a different type, but can't find them anymore, these are very similar, although it is suggested you don't attach these to a collar, only to a harness. I like them because of the clips at both ends, if you have a walking belt, its easy to attach them to you, and they have a loop for your hand as well if you need http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/catalogue/?_Culpep=42827113A4efUrmTfEQ&cat=leads

Thanks ISDW I'm going to try one of the leads for our guy...and a firehose toy lol :D

andreac wrote: »
    ISDW works her huskies so they pull sleds/bikejoring etc so she needs them to pull those so id imagine thats why.

I thought it was something like that, that is very cool. :)

tk123 wrote: »
    Thanks ISDW I'm going to try one of the leads for our guy...and a firehose toy lol :D

Back from a walk with our new lead - brilliant! Thanks again! :D

tk123 wrote: »
    Back from a walk with our new lead - brilliant! Thanks again! :D

Excellent, glad to have been of service. I absolutely love them, they make such a difference. Now you'll have to get the walking belt as well:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

so i've ended up with a halti head collar and i am amazed :eek::eek::eek: at the results after just 2 days!!!no more pulling on the lead not even slightly!! defo recommend it!plus it can also double up as a "muzzle" if i meet da dog warden :D:D tanx 4 ur help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭stinky eggs

Must try the bungees but they could prob still get a little stretch when there is a kid walking by with an ice cream :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement