Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat and drink in Derry on July 31st

Options
  • 16-07-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭

As some of ye might be aware Boards is involved with a Charity drive around Ireland called All The Way Round, with all money received being donated to Barretstown Camp. At the end of our first day of travelling, Saturday 31st July, we will be stopping overnight in Derry. What we are stuck for is ideas here as to where is a good place in Derry to eat and somewhere to go for a few drinks to round off the night. I realise these questions have probably been asked a ton of times on this forum but I'd be hoping the answers could be more specific to our group 10-15 people, mostly lads with an age range from late teens to late 20's. Its also the bank holiday Sunday night in the Republic so we realise we're asking a bit late.

Requirements for restaurant:
    1. Capable of seating 10-15 comfortably spread over as little tables as possible. (3x5 rather than 7x2)
    2. Not too expensive or upmarket as we'll be after driving all day, most of us alone and will be wanting a bit of a chat and banter without upsetting others
    3. Somewhere central with adequate parking for up to 10 cars.
    4. Somewhere that'll take a reservation for a table.

Requirements for night out after the dinner:
    1. Somewhere central and close to the City Hotel where we will be staying.
    2. Somewhere a few tables can be reserved.
    3. Somewhere that might off to help us out with a bit of sponsorship would be a huge bonus.
    4. Somewhere thats lively but not too loud as we want to be able to talk without being drowned out by music/crowd etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or even if anyone wants to come for a few drinks with us on the night just let us know.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

P.S Just a quick thank you to the mods for backing us and this thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Quazzie wrote: »
    1. Somewhere central and close to the Malton Hotel
    Are you sure that's the name of the hotel? Haven't heard of that one.

As for somewhere quiet, inexpensive and informal to eat, I would recommend Martha's Vineyard. Don't be put off that it's at the Bowling Alley, it's quiet inside and it's very good food. You should be able to reserve a table big enough for all of you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Dun wrote: »
    Are you sure that's the name of the hotel? Haven't heard of that one.
    You are of course right. In my haste today I got the Killarney and the Derry Hotel mixed up
    Dun wrote: »
    As for somewhere quiet, inexpensive and informal to eat, I would recommend Martha's Vineyard. Don't be put off that it's at the Bowling Alley, it's quiet inside and it's very good food. You should be able to reserve a table big enough for all of you too.
    I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

it'd be a five minute drive (at most) from the City Hotel to Martha's Vineyard. There's a bar there too, so you could likely stay there to closing if you like the atmosphere. Derry's pretty small, and there are more-or-less fixed taxi fares for getting around the city. If you're drinking, a taxi run from Martha's Vineyard to the City Hotel will be around £3 - £3.50, otherwise there's loads of car parking space there.

If you prefer there's a few restaurants within walking distance from the City Hotel. The Exchange doesn't take bookings as far as i'm aware, though they might do for a large group. There's also the Mandarin Palace (nice Chinese - or so I've been told, cause I'm not a big fan of Chinese), The Garage, Casa Italia, Timber Quay, Mangetout, Quay West and 21. Most of those have menus online. [URL=":
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=derry+italian&fb=1&gl=ie&hq=italian&hnear=Londonderry,+County+Londonderry,+UK&view=text&ei=X_JATJn2FYTu0wT8zLShDw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CB4QtwMwAA"]Google Maps has most of them[/URL].

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Quay West is a couple of minutes walk from the City Hotel and as far as I know they take bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    The food there is excellent.

Another option about 200 metres from the hotel is O'Briens Steakhouse...

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/OBriens-American-Steakhouse-and-Grill-Bar-Londonderry-Derry-P7925

A steak sounds perfect after a long day driving. Cheers Smashey

A steak sounds perfect after a long day driving. Cheers Smashey
    They had a special offer during the world cup which consisted of a 24oz steak with all the trimmings, a side order and a pint for £15 :D

It was great.

I presume it would need to be booked inadvance on a sat night?

draffodx wrote: »
    I presume it would need to be booked inadvance on a sat night?
    Maybe but it would be worth giving them a call. I had a few boardise in Derry a few weeks ago on a Saturday night and I booked a table a couple of hours before going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you've not already booked...

http://www.nwrestaurantguide.com/italian/dananos.html

Danono's is nice, 3 mins walk from the City Hotel, very reasonably priced, let's you bring your own wine, never too noisy and should be able to accomadate you all on one big long table.

O'Briens Steakhouse(mentioned above) is just across the road from Danono's. Pretty good value too, not amazing quality but can be a bit loud as it fills up with younger parties and plays a jukebox.

Only just over 3 days to go.

Thanks all.

And it would be great if anyone wants to meet up with us in Derry :D

If you're in Derry on Saturday, I might give you all a shout in the hotel. What times will you be there at?

We'll be hoping to get in around 7pm, but as with all road trips that could change depending on any amount of conditions carying from Traffic to weather etc.

We'll be hoping to get in around 7pm, but as with all road trips that could change depending on any amount of conditions carying from Traffic to weather etc.

Yeh I'd imagine anytime between 7 and 9 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone,

The hotel in Derry was fantastic with the staff being extremely friendly and helpful.

We didn't need to get food in the end and ended up in a sports bar/cafe just up from the hotel for a few drinks and a few games of pool.

And I think it would be safe to say everyone enjoyed Derry,

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Following up on everyone's knowledge of Derry eating places, has Twentyone on Strand road closed?

It was recommended for a group eating out but the shutters have been down for the past fortnight - or longer.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peterdoherty

Essexboy wrote: »
    Following up on everyone's knowledge of Derry eating places, has Twentyone on Strand road closed?

It was recommended for a group eating out but the shutters have been down for the past fortnight - or longer.

Thanks

yep closed,

they left the tumble dryers on on the top floor drying some stuff some night a few weeks ago and it set the place ablaza. cue 4 fire engines & a lot of water damage and people outta work

Advertisement