Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! i cant install my Akasa freedom tower CPU cooler

Options
  • 16-07-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

so i got all the parts i needed today for my rig. (just missing my monitor:() and ive installed the Mobo, ram, processor and PSU, but i cant ****ing clip in the cpu cooler.

i thought i'd do a test install before applying thermal paste, and thank god i did, cause ive been at it for an hour now! should it be hard? i removed the intel brackets off the cooler, and the AMD bracket is just a see-saw hinge apparently, which seemed fine, but i cant clip it in for the life of me. its absolutely massive, so i removed the fan to make it easier to work with, but still no luck.

can anyone point me to a vid of someone actually installing one of these? i cant find anything on youtube, and google just says its easy to install the intel one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

2iia4yf.jpg
    20hawqu.jpg

2mrs4ft.jpg

2yulnxh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Ridiculous size photos are ridiculous.

Ridiculous size cooler is ridiculous.

Also, you have to mount the cooler onto the motherboard outside the case, or so I found out by teh googles :D

Ridiculous size photos are ridiculous.

Ridiculous size cooler is ridiculous.

Also, you have to mount the cooler onto the motherboard outside the case, or so I found out by teh googles :D
    thanks TV, i (eventually) figured that out myself. god once it was in it was near impossible to screw in the MoBo. ******* hell this is tough.

also, that heatsink is near 8 times the size of the stock one!!

nearly done anyway.

what a day.

Hope it all works well for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    thanks TV, i (eventually) figured that out myself. god once it was in it was near impossible to screw in the MoBo. ******* hell this is tough.

also, that heatsink is near 8 times the size of the stock one!!

nearly done anyway.

what a day.

Always a pain to have to disassemble a build to fit a monster cooler.

Is your case a cool master scout? If it is I hate to tell you now.....:pac:

If so there is a hole in the back of the tray where you screw in the motherboard, so you Don't have to take the pc apart to fit a 3rd party cooler.... You just take off the other panel on the case and screw in the retention bracket directly into the motherboard through the hole.

http://ipon.hu/_userfiles/Image/joker/hirek/090306/scout_05.jpg
    (see the red,yellow and black cables running through the motherbaord tray?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

uberpixie wrote: »

Pretty sure it is, but I got here too late to warn him, by the time I saw the thread it was already too late and he'd done the unthinkable! :o:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Solitaire wrote: »
    Pretty sure it is, but I got here too late to warn him, by the time I saw the thread it was already too late and he'd done the unthinkable! :o:D:P

We all learn one way, the hard way :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What temps are you hoping to get with that thing?

Something like this will fit and might have been enough...

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=26593&sid=14&cid=122&scid=308

Its keeping my i3@4Ghz nice and cool.

uberpixie wrote: »
    Always a pain to have to disassemble a build to fit a monster cooler.

If so there is a hole in the back of the tray where you screw in the motherboard, so you Don't have to take the pc apart to fit a 3rd party cooler.... You just take off the other panel on the case and screw in the retention bracket directly into the motherboard through the hole.

http://ipon.hu/_userfiles/Image/joker/hirek/090306/scout_05.jpg
    (see the red,yellow and black cables running through the motherbaord tray?)
    AFAIK that would only work with an intel based chipset, and im running AMD..

thanks for the help anyway guys, but i took the whole thing appart to fit it in.

the worst was trying to screw in the MoBo again with that monstrosity in the way.
    BostonB wrote: »
    What temps are you hoping to get with that thing?

Something like this will fit and might have been enough...

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=26593&sid=14&cid=122&scid=308

Its keeping my i3@4Ghz nice and cool.
    currently core temp is saying that im running at 21 degrees...:cool::cool:

• Advertisement

I was going to say something about the case maybe having a hole at the back to fit brackets and stuff, but I didn't bother. Sorry for that extra work OP :D

Advertisement