Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League Draw

Options
  • 16-07-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

Nabbed this from another forum as I didn't fully understand this whole process.
    The draw for the Champions League 3rd qualifying round is below.
    The numbers in brackets are the order of UEFA ranking for the 15 teams in the non-champions section of CL qualifying.
    Ajax (5) v PAOK (13)
    Dynamo Kiev (7) v Gent (15)
    Young Boys (14) v Fenerbahçe (6)
    Sporting Braga (8) v Celtic (9)
    Unirea Urziceni (12) v Zenit St Petersburg (3)

1st legs will be played on 27/28 July with the return on 3/4 Aug.
    The winners join the following teams in the play-offs for a place in the group stages.

Sevilla (1)
    Werder Bremen (2)
    Tottenham Hotspur (4)
    Sampdoria (10)
    Auxerre (11)

In the draw for the play-offs, to be made on 6 Aug, the 5 highest ranked teams will be seeded.

This means we could potentially be paired with any of the following;

Fenerbahçe (6)
    Dynamo Kiev (7)
    Sporting Braga (8)
    Celtic (9)
    Sampdoria (10)
    Auxerre (11)
    Unirea Urziceni (12)
    PAOK (13)
    Young Boys (14)
    Gent (15)

Let's hope we don't get Kiev as they'll be match fit and there's a huge amount of travel involved. There are plenty of other tricky teams in there too though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

So if all five of the 3rd round ties went according to the rankings our possible opponents would be:

Fenerbahce
    Dynamo Kiev
    Sporting Braga
    Sampdoria
    Auxerre

None of those would be easy opponents

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Dont forget we are with the big boys now. The champions league is only for the top teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

did'nt we murder braga a few seasons back in the uefa cup?the sampdoria manager himself said that we are the one team he would not want to play.had a look tru the auxerre squad and only recognised antony la tallec once of liverpool and they are also about to sell there no.1 keeper.d kiev have shevchenko up front and no one else really,fenerbahce however have roberto carlos,emre (once of newcastle)and danny guiza in their squad.
    if all of those teams were to get tru,fenerbahce would be the one that could cause us the most problems but i still think we'll get tru no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think we'll take all of them at home tbh,

Braga wouldn't worry me at all. I just have a feeling that it's going to be Celtic. On paper our second team are much much better but they'd still worry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    So if all five of the 3rd round ties went according to the rankings our possible opponents would be:

Fenerbahce
    Dynamo Kiev

Sporting Braga
    Sampdoria
    Auxerre

would especially want to avoid the first 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hopefully we get Sellik >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I just hope we get more luck than everton did when they drew villareal who went on to have an unreal season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

I reckon we should be well capable of taking any of those teams - when in form!

Hopefully there's no world cup hangovers lingering around the squad!

Any idea when our games might be played then if the first round is on the end of July/start of August?

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I reckon we should be well capable of taking any of those teams - when in form!

Hopefully there's no world cup hangovers lingering around the squad!

Any idea when our games might be played then if the first round is on the end of July/start of August?

COYS!
    Play-offs are 17th/18th and 24th/25th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Zenit St Petersburg would be very good too, them or Kiev is the draw I really don't want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

best of luck spurs from a dissapointed Liverpool Fan
    Sampdoria and Auxerre are good Teams.
    Unirea Urziceni have two very good young Strikers, i have being hearing good things about.
    But Spurs will have two much of most of these teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

golfball37 wrote: »
    Zenit St Petersburg would be very good too, them or Kiev is the draw I really don't want.

We cannot get Zenit as they will be a seeded team along with us should they advance to the final playoff round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

guys i reckon wit the squad we have these days we should fear nobody in europe plus the 3 players harry wants to add expect us to sign a world class striker.its time the mighty spurs stepped up to rule once again..i for one am very confidant for this season..COYS

Advertisement