Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loc8 Code

Options
  • 16-07-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Has anyone set up their Loc8 code yet?

Its pretty clever (and a bit long compared to the UK)

http://www.myloc8ion.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Had a look at this, but while I like it, I'm not impressed that I have to pay, to use it.
    The code itself is free, but if I want to upgrade my Nuvi, I have to wait for my unit to be supported, and then I'll have to pay Garmin for the privilage. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

joewicklow wrote: »

UK Postcode is 7 Charcaters plus normally up to 3 charcaters to define an individual property (property number) - thats a total of 10 characters.

UK postcode only defines properties nothing else.

Loc8 is 8 characters to define any property and anything else also..

so not long at all really by direct comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Lots of discussion on this over on the Infrastructure forum as well. There is also GoCode as well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055687960&page=13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Got this setup on my Garmin today, integrates to existing postcode functionality when setup and is not some crappy third party hack on or an after thought on Garmins part to suppport it.

Very happy with it and very easy to unlock through website using IE only as it requires a browser plugin but then it doesn't use any horrible application either so very happy about that :D

Now all I need is everyone to get their loc8 code and put it on their website :P

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

joewicklow wrote: »

They seem to have gone to ground.
    Website a blank.
    Too much traffic following their coming-out in today's IT?
    Not an auspicious start!

• Advertisement

ainiseoir wrote: »
    They seem to have gone to ground.
    Website a blank.
    Too much traffic following their coming-out in today's IT?
    Not an auspicious start!

works for me in opera browser.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its not Opera, the site is back up now.

koolkid wrote: »
    Its not Opera, the site is back up now.
    Apologies!
    I think I must have hit the site at a bad moment, I did try a few times through Google.

The ESRI had a good quote comparing these codes to busses, waiting for ever and then two show up together.

Also in stark contrast to the efforts of the State to provide one, no time lost with committees etc., with the software companies.

It will be interesting to see how all this turns out, of course I've got a TomTom!

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Apologies!
    I think I must have hit the site at a bad moment, I did try a few times through Google.

The ESRI had a good quote comparing these codes to busses, waiting for ever and then two show up together.

Also in stark contrast to the efforts of the State to provide one, no time lost with committees etc., with the software companies.

It will be interesting to see how all this turns out, of course I've got a TomTom!

There was a short period of downtime on Thursday indeed - an addition that went wrong - not at all due to load there was 6,000 visitors alone after Six One news item on the 13th July !

Loc8 Codes have not just come along - they have been in Beta Testing with Garmin for the last 2 years and they are the only solution directly supported by a Satnav manufacturer. http://audioboo.fm/boos/159750-garmin-loc8-radio-ad-summer-2010

Beta testing is now fully completed with a full release on 12th July 2010 last.

Direct support by other very popular manufacturers coming shortly.

Thank you,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

Just my luck, my Garmin Nuvi 5000 isn't supported by Loc8 and my Nokia 5800 isn't supported by Go Code. I have no intention of buying another device. Maybe when the national system starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sam888

Yes, I agree, the Loc8 Code is impressive. However, we should have had something like this for years.
    What I am not happy with is the fact that I now have to firstly wait for Garmin to come out with an upgrade for my Nuvi 310. Then pay them for this upgrade.
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

mrmac wrote: »
    Had a look at this, but while I like it, I'm not impressed that I have to pay, to use it.
    The code itself is free, but if I want to upgrade my Nuvi, I have to wait for my unit to be supported, and then I'll have to pay Garmin for the privilage. :(
    I agree wholeheartedly. I bought an expensive(EUR 300) 765T in June '09, then bought Lifetime mapping (EUR 120) and now I'm expected to pay more for Loc8 use!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭upaho

I wouldn't mind if it worked Or even the possibility that it might. I bought a Nuvi 1200 early this year and find about 75% of the places I need. Even if the others are on the mapping the search cant find them.

I thought the postcoding might work an open mindedly tried. Looking for "Ruby Hall, Rochestown Ave, Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin"

I get: "The closest we could find is your town". ie Find it yourself and we can give you a post code. This isn't a joke. If I wanted to F*** around with maps I could do it with Google Maps for free or OS for a couple of €. The money was wanted on the garmin. It's the worst tech buy I've ever made.

GARMIN IS RUBBISH. SUPPORT IS PATHETIC. MY iPHONE4 IS COMING IN 2 WEEKS, I CAN'T WAIT!

upaho wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if it worked Or even the possibility that it might. I bought a Nuvi 1200 early this year and find about 75% of the places I need. Even if the others are on the mapping the search cant find them.

I thought the postcoding might work an open mindedly tried. Looking for "Ruby Hall, Rochestown Ave, Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin"

I get: "The closest we could find is your town". ie Find it yourself and we can give you a post code. This isn't a joke. If I wanted to F*** around with maps I could do it with Google Maps for free or OS for a couple of €. The money was wanted on the garmin. It's the worst tech buy I've ever made.

GARMIN IS RUBBISH. SUPPORT IS PATHETIC. MY iPHONE4 IS COMING IN 2 WEEKS, I CAN'T WAIT!

Yep that's exactly why Ireland needs a proper addressing system. Garmin does not make the mapping and the people that do did not invent our addressing system - think you might be confused as to who is repsonsible for what!

As for upgrading Garmins - one for 7x5 series will come in a while but the 300 and 5000 series are discontinued products - for several years I believe! Don't think any manufacturer would bring out a function upgrade for a product which is discontinued for 2 years or more!

Perhaps it is not understood but very important - when you are navigating using a phone/iphone etc - in addition to the unit cost itself, each trip costs money in data costs when a live map feed is used - compared to a €140 approx once off cost for a Nuvi 1210, a return trip to the UK alone could cost in the order of €30 in data costs on a phone based system and repaeted data costs evry time you use for navigation. Also there may be no navigation when there is no mobile phone coverage !!!

It don't think you should fear once off upfront costs (you have the option not to pay them) - it's the hidden ones that you should think carefully about. (some people spend fortunes on Speed Camera and other POI information every near also!!!0

Think it is also useful to try understand the issues first - there is a quick intro here:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭upaho

garydubh wrote: »
    Think it is also useful to try understand the issues first - there is a quick intro here:

What makes you think I don't understand the issues? I'm not stupid and I do. I didn't elect "our government" just like the majority of the population. I saw through their lies long before.

Your introduction might be great for a first time user but would be totally unnecessary if Garmin supplied decent manuals with the unit. It took support 3 weeks to reply to my query and more time then to email a manual. I do like the part where the user is the "biggest problem of all" Yeah, that just like the patients in the hospitals, taking up beds, getting sick all over the place and ruining everything? Hello?????????? Garmin work for their CUSTOMERS, US, (or do they?)

Anyway I'm not stupid enough to need a Satnav to find Belfast so I won't be using my iPhone on that part of the trip, just the run down the last part of the drive into the Ardoyne. Cost from O2, maybe a couple of pence. That's better than paying any amount to Garmin for something that probably won't work!

When I have the iPhone up and running I'll report back. If it doesn't beat the crap out of the Garmin I'll eat it, 32Gb flash drive, retina display, Full HD movie camera, Lithium Ion battery, 3 axis gyro, accelerometer, oleophobic coating and all. God it nearly sounds tasty, I wonder is it teeth mark resistant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

upaho wrote: »

When I have the iPhone up and running I'll report back. If it doesn't beat the crap out of the Garmin I'll eat it, 32Gb flash drive, retina display, Full HD movie camera, Lithium Ion battery, 3 axis gyro, accelerometer, oleophobic coating and all. God it nearly sounds tasty, I wonder is it teeth mark resistant?
    So - how did you get on? Or are you waiting to send in your report till you find a particularly strong signal area where you can actually use the phone part of your iPhone?:D

I used Loc8 codes on my Garmin to get to my sisters Christening no bother at all :D

I asked her where it was, zoomed in on map to church and got the loc8 code and entered it on satnav and saved it and got there with no stress involved last weekend.

The only problem is I had to get her to show me on a map where it was so I could get the loc8 code but if everyone was supplying them then I would not have had to do this.

I would never have found it so easy if it wasn't for these codes TBH :)

Do Loc8 have a library for phone developers to link into or anything like this? Specifiically for windows mobile devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

thebman wrote: »
    =
    The only problem is I had to get her to show me on a map where it was so I could get the loc8 code but if everyone was supplying them then I would not have had to do this.

Shur if you had to do that, you could have have just got the lat/long coordinates and put them in

Seven Worlds will Collide

Shur if you had to do that, you could have have just got the lat/long coordinates and put them in

Yes people aren't very good with lat/long co-ordinates, the whole idea of it confuses them.

They are more used to postcodes even if we don't have them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lisard

I have to visit remote sites on a daily basis and loc8 is by far the best tool to come my way in a long time I save on average 2 hours per day. I have used it to do about 50 site visits so far and I can’t find a fault with it. I hope this is made the official post code system having worked in the uk for a number of years this is far better.

I agree that it's a great system but widespread adoption is by no means assured particularly in the light of Garmin charging all but their latest customers for its use.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

lisard wrote: »
    I have to visit remote sites on a daily basis and loc8 is by far the best tool to come my way in a long time I save on average 2 hours per day.
    Either you're a very bad navigator or you work for Loc8?
    Garmin/TomTom without Loc8 is correct most of the time in Ireland now.

lisard wrote:
    I have used it to do about 50 site visits so far and I can’t find a fault with it. I hope this is made the official post code system having worked in the uk for a number of years this is far better.
    The only reason it would be wrong is if someone gets their code wrong. For the same reason lat/long or any of the rival postcode systems won't be wrong. What's more important for getting there is that the roads are correctly mapped and that the routing knows the different categories of roads, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I think its a cleaver idea and just the first three letters gives a rough idea where i live (LTF). In the uk postal system the full code is only accurate to 15 houses
    in a street.The big plus is being able to fill in a code when joining up at a web site where they insist on you putting in a zip code that dosent exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 alawlor

Does anyone know how to get a Loc8 code into a Garmin 250W? Or any older Garmin for that matter. When I verified my own Loc8 address code I was given an option to have the code sent to the Garmin 250W but now I can't recall how or where I did it! :o If my code could update the Garmin then surely any code can be sent. I have asked around but nobody thinks it is possible......I think it is!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Bards

just go to www.myloc8ion.com and enter the address where you want to go (Pretend it is your address)

finalise the location and when done you will get the option to send to satnav

• Registered Users Posts: 11 alawlor

Many thanks. I tried this before verified etc but was not given option to send to GPS. Will try it later & watch more carefully.

alawlor wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get a Loc8 code into a Garmin 250W? Or any older Garmin for that matter.

The ability to enter a Loc8 Code directly on the screen of the 250 series has not yet been enabled by Garmin. An unlock for the 2x5 series will be available here shortly.

The ability to enter a Loc8 Code directly on the display as a destination is currently available on Garmin:
    12xx,
    13xx
    14xx
    2xxx

with 3670 and 2x5 coming shortly and for Zumos in the not too distant future.

If you would like to see Loc8 useable on other SatNavs (7x5's etc) please send feedback here

Loc8 Codes will be open for use on TomTom, Navigon, Co Pilot, Ovi etc etc over the next few months. Anyone wanting to add Loc8 Code functionality to any mobile app can also do so - just contact Loc8 at info@loc8code.com

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

garydubh wrote: »
    The ability to enter a Loc8 Code directly on the screen of the 250 series has not yet been enabled by Garmin. An unlock for the 2x5 series will be available here shortly.

The ability to enter a Loc8 Code directly on the display as a destination is currently available on Garmin:
    12xx,
    13xx
    14xx
    2xxx

with 3670 and 2x5 coming shortly and for Zumos in the not too distant future.

If you would like to see Loc8 useable on other SatNavs (7x5's etc) please send feedback here

Loc8 Codes will be open for use on TomTom, Navigon, Co Pilot, Ovi etc etc over the next few months. Anyone wanting to add Loc8 Code functionality to any mobile app can also do so - just contact Loc8 at info@loc8code.com

icon4.gifI used the feedback option to request the Nuvi 250W be added to the list of Loc8 enabled devices and was told that Garmin have no plan to do this for the 250W as it's discontinued.icon4.gif

• Advertisement

Gosh wrote: »
    icon4.gifI used the feedback option to request the Nuvi 250W be added to the list of Loc8 enabled devices and was told that Garmin have no plan to do this for the 250W as it's discontinued.icon4.gif
    I've never seen a company to discontinue their products as quickly as Garmin!:confused: ...And coupled with the fact that Garmin are to charge for unlocking it, unless the Loc8 system is adopted by the State I'm afraid it's dead in the water.:mad:

Advertisement