Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 16-07-2010 1:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping to move to Galway in the near future. I'll have to head down in advance to check out accomadation and work. Besides the internet, papers and possibly cold calling, is there any assistance that any one could receive to assist in making a move. For example, is there a Citizen Information Office within the city.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I'll have to head down in advance to check out accomadation
    Plenty of that available.
    and work.
    Not so much of that though.

Not sure about a Citizen Info Office, but what is it you'll need assistant in in making a move?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Just need information on Accomadation which is handy enough. Work would be the main issue. I have an engineering degree, but like most people, I'll take anything at this stage. I'd also want to check out financial assistance if I can't completely afford to keep myself going. I have a serious itch to get away from this town and would like to settle in Galway for a few reasons, the love of the city being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There is a citizen's information office in Galway, yes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Grand, I'll check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Check the Galway Advertiser for places to live.

There's feck all jobs about though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My old housemate is an Engineer too. I wouldn't suggest Galway to be honest. I know there's a bypass from Gort to Tuam going in, if you don't get work on that I don't think theres much else going around here. I hear Dublin Airport are looking for Engineers. Galway seems to have alot of jobs for Quality Engineers..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Xiney wrote: »
    There is a citizen's information office in Galway, yes.

What could prove useful to you is the Citizen's Information centre is close to the Social Welfare office!

My field of expertise is in Computers and I know it's hard everywhere. I'd even be willing to work in Athlone, but I want out of this town. Had enough of it and I want to make a move.

The software industry is doing well enough in Galway. You have a better chance of a job than most other industries.

Well that's a small start. I'll have to check out potential companies.

• Advertisement

I can remember there being several announcements this year of software jobs being created over next few years, but I can only remember one comapny, Lumension Security.

Edit:

Also Electronic Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Also Electronic Arts.
    Pretty sure that's 90% Customer Service jobs though.

200 jobs they say, a bit of a mix.
    As well as supporting customers, the new Galway centre will also be involved in developing online games.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/careers-centre/item/16347-electronic-arts-to-create-2

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Just need information on Accomadation which is handy enough. Work would be the main issue. I have an engineering degree, but like most people, I'll take anything at this stage. I'd also want to check out financial assistance if I can't completely afford to keep myself going. I have a serious itch to get away from this town and would like to settle in Galway for a few reasons, the love of the city being one of them.
    Ha! We're quite the same you and I. Engineering degree here too. I too would take anything. Im way ahead of ya on leaving athlone though. Been in Galway for the past 5 years now with college.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

My field of expertise is in Computers and I know it's hard everywhere. I'd even be willing to work in Athlone, but I want out of this town. Had enough of it and I want to make a move.
    If you have Java or .Net development experience there are jobs in Galway. Outside of that is where things get more limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have a read of earlier thread on the topic here and here.

Also good to check out
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/MapZone/CityMapGuide/JustmovedtoGalway/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

I'm hoping to move to Galway in the near future. I'll have to head down in advance to check out accomadation and work. Besides the internet, papers and possibly cold calling, is there any assistance that any one could receive to assist in making a move. For example, is there a Citizen Information Office within the city.

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie

check that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

it will be crazy trying to find a place once the CAO offers come in with students looking for accomadation so would recommend ya looking before that

Advertisement