Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flower bed on decking

• 16-07-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

im looking at putting flower bed on my decking
    i will be using sleepers as the frame around the bed
    and was wondering should i put like a dpm all along
    the inside of the bed over the decking boards and
    the inside of the sleepers?

also anyone know the going rate for topsoil / cubic meter?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I'm sure it could be done, anything can be done, but if it were me I would put a planter on the decking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

moved to DIY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Even with a damp proof membrane, that is a good way of rotting your decking. Even a planter needs to be moved occasionally, and have some clearance underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

should i just, cut the boards out where i want to grow
    the bed along the wall then...
    seems like the best thing to do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well its a possibility, but without seeing the structure of your decking its impossible to say whether it would be a good idea. If you are just cutting the boards rather than the structure it would probably be ok, but you really need to look at whether you are going to do damage. Keep the soil away from timber though, and if there is a major beam fixed to the wall, don't damage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

i have a joist bolted to the wall along the back of the deck, if i cut the boards
    it would expose the joists, if i protected these and fill the area with topsoil etc..
    would this then cause a problem with the joists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

To be honest it's gonna be hard to introduce soil into a deck without overloading it with weight, rotting the boards or compromising it by cutting out sections...

What about a planter box like this..

dn2044-close-1.jpg

It could be modified into a rectangular planter easily.. Recess some castor wheels under it and you can move it to clean or re-arrange the deck as required...

I get good inspiration from this web-site (I'm not affilliated in any way)
    http://plansnow.com/garden.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Pressure treated wood has a life span of 25 years here. Once there is soil near the wood, the lifespan will decrease big time

If the joists rot, the deck will sag and eventually collapse

Advertisement