Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer in Kildare, read to go, where are we going wrong?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,

We are a couple that are looking to buy in the Kildare Town area. We have loan approval for x amount and feel that we are hitting our heads off a wall every time we approach an estate agent, no help at all.

We feel we are in an excellent position and like everybody looking for real value in the market now.
    We are looking for a detached house on a small piece of land as that is how we have grown up. We are willing to buy a fixer upper if we feel there is potential in the property. We are willing to take a chance on a property if we feel it ticks the correct boxes for us.

The problem is we are getting no where, not that we are in any rush with the property market the way it is. We are willing to spend money once it is good value. But every time we make a bid we don’t hear anything and the estate agent never calls us back until week’s later saying that the vendor is willing to negotiate. We feel that the estate agents are helping no one both us and the seller.

Dose anybody have any tips about dealing with these people.

P.S. – We are not making offers on premium houses (5 bed, 5 bath on 1 acer) worth €500k and offering €250K.

For example – there was an old house (4 bed 2 bath, needed a lot work on .5acer) asking price €295k – we offered €230K – we got the run around from the agent(saying that there was another bidder and can we do any better) and finally had to tell them that we are not interested. House is still up for sale and that was 3 months ago.

Any advise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Cut out the middle man. Thats what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Write to the owner of the house,saying i offered x amount and got no help from the agent.YOU SHOULD tell your bank you are looking at old houses or homes on a site ,eg not in a estate.OR houses that need renovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's not always easy to cut out the middle man.

You have to be pushy, it's your money that you want to spend. No point ringing an agent and waiting weeks for them to reply. Be bold, if you're told they'll ring you back then ring them the next day and the next until you get an answer. Call in person to their offices if needs be. If they say they have to talk to their client then tell them you don't mind holding on and waiting while they ring or say you'll ring back in an hour.

Don't sit back and wait for them to get back to you because sadly most agents wont.

You may come across as annoying to them but it might just get you your house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PB27

Ricman, Can you tell me why I should mention that it is an old house or a house on a site? Is it got to do with valuation? The houses we are looking at are not run down and need a total revamp. They are very liveable just need modernisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PB27

Cathoo, thanks for the advise, we have not been pushy at all. Our thinking about it is, if we look to eager the agent will think they can throw the saddle on us.

• Advertisement

email all the estate agents in kildare, im looking for a house with abit of land
    heres my no ,ordinary 3/4 bed house 180k upwards .Ring,email me if you have anything suitable,it doesnt have to be in perfect condition, i can do modernisation on an older house.LOOK at ads in local papers,buynsell , people don,t always use agents to sell homes.

well d ,ont mention it then, its just if a house needs new floors,doors,rewiring major work, the bank may need a structural survey ,or may refuse to give you a mortgage on the house .YOU can put ads on buyandsell.net,or local papers ,house wanted with half acre land kildare area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

PB27 wrote: »
    Cathoo, thanks for the advise, we have not been pushy at all. Our thinking about it is, if we look to eager the agent will think they can throw the saddle on us.

That's where you have to stand your ground also. Put in your offer, if they come back and say someone has offered x over your offer but you believe you're being fooled then repeat your offer and tell them it stands for 7 days as there's another house you're interested in. If there's no word in those 7 days call them again, ask them what the latest is and retract your offer if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

Tbh the estate agents are doing you a favour. Every month of your time they waste, that's an extra 10 - 20k in your pocket. Be thankful. :)

Advertisement