Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underage in Athlone - Disgrace!

Options
  • 16-07-2010 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I feel like since summer has started the amount of underage kids going out in town is an absolute joke.

People say Q has a reputation for being young....HA! they are nothing compared to what is being allowed into KARMA!

i have sat outside both premises each night they are open for the past few weeks to do some research and see what is allowed in!

In my opinion Q has gotten very strict on the door and is aiming more at the over 19s now questioning those that are 18! KARMA on the other hand are letting children as young as 15 in! i know this for a fact as i sat outside and saw my friends sister going in and not even getting ID'd as she had enough make up on her to make her look old! the place is riddled with underage on a thursday night! what are the guards going to do about this? The kids come stumbling out of that place and obviously cant handle there drink so get sick all over the place!

anybody else have anything to say about this????

It looks like the tables have turned and Q is for the older and Karma for the younger!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Q seemed to have a name for underage when it is completely untrue. just 18-21 year olds on Saturday night. I have worked around pubs and clubs in this town long enough to see what goes on.
    For the last 2 summers particularly on Thursdays nights Karma have been very lax on their ID policy. I know a lot of underage girls who have no problem getting into karma on the quiet nights but have been told they won't get in on Saturday night. Karma are brilliant at spinning what they want people to think.
    This is not just an empty notion. I now the kids and their parents.

Just go to Karma on a Thursday night and you will be shocked at who gets in there.
    A few young people I know have said to me that Thursday night in Karma is their night out. Replacing saturday nighst in Harriers, and bus's to other towns that we use to do in my day.

Is it such a bad thing that the young people have a night to go out in their home town. They will prob be drinking in a field anyway, at least there is cameras and bouncers and people around if they drink too much etc. Drink costs so much in the club (all nightclubs, not just Karma), which might actually force them into drinking sensibly.
    I am not saying its right, but if was turned into a regular supervised thing would the country be as a whole worse off. But thats for another thread.

Anyways no drinking in Karma as it takes way too long to get served!

This has been going with Karma for years, but they just seem completely unaffected or immuned to any negative press or image... I don't know why, but however they do it, I would love to know their secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

thursdays is very young in karma alright. they will take anyone on a thursday but will refuse the same people on a friday saturday or sunday night. and as for karma staying open till half 2 they dont really. they serve until about half 1 and thats it then. thats the last two months or so. Q isnt even open on a sunday anymore so its not like they have an unfair advantage in that regard. I dont know how Karma can open 5/6 nights of the week when most nights there is less than 100 in there and they have most of it closed off. they do be packed on a saturday night so i guess thats whats carrying the other nights.

I prefer Q to Karma myself but alot of my friends also seem to think Q is a young crowd. maybe its just hard for them to shake off that theory among people in the town, they tried "The Piano Bar" to get an older crowd but that does not seem to be working for them at all really

Deleted this post as i jumped to conclusion too soon - Apologies Onlyliveonce

!

i have sat outside both premises each night they are open for the past few weeks to do some research and see what is allowed in!

He does not work for Q he just sits in church street checking out nightclubs!!! dont be accusing in the wrong boredatwork!! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 onlyliveonce

most certainly dont work for Q! just like the place compared to karma! i go to college in the AIT and have been doing a project on binge drinking and underage that was why i noticed! im actually a major fan or boards.ie but my last username someone thought it would be funny to change my password so i cant use it anymore this is just my new one!

not sure what happened with the piano bar it hasnt been opened the past while?although i think it actually would have been nice for the over 30s to have somewhere to go!

oh by the way im actually a girl!

• Advertisement

sure the over 30s had jurrasic park/grab a granny out in genesis and thats gone now too.

whats jurassic park/grab a granny?
    :confused:

everything in there is ancient!!! anyways Q shouldnt worry about what others are doing esp on the nights they are closed ie thurs and sundays which you were giving out stink about karma for what they did.

i would doubt that q are worried! kinda wish myself that athlone would get something happening! all the music is the same in both niteclubs and just getting bored now! anyone wanna get on to either niteclubs and suggest something new?

i would doubt that q are worried!
    Id say they are very worried. at the moment they only open 3 nites a week wednesday friday and saturday and with the college closed wednesday is dead. nobody in there on fridays so there only really good night is saturday. and after all the money spent on it 18months ago or so(long overdue). Id say they are very worried.

• Advertisement

from my posts it seems like i dont like Q but i do its just not the same this summer as the college year was

i vote the government change the law and let clubs stay open for longer! it would benefit everyone so much! cannot wait for the new college year to start it seems the whole town is dead without all the students! i miss those messy nights in scribes followed by bribing a taxi man to give us a lift to town cheaper and then skipping the que into q! bring on september!

most certainly dont work for Q! just like the place compared to karma! i go to college in the AIT and have been doing a project on binge drinking and underage that was why i noticed! im actually a major fan or boards.ie but my last username someone thought it would be funny to change my password so i cant use it anymore this is just my new one!

not sure what happened with the piano bar it hasnt been opened the past while?although i think it actually would have been nice for the over 30s to have somewhere to go!

oh by the way im actually a girl!

Apologies so Onlyliveonce. Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.
    If you want some more info into underage drinking in Athlone, walk around the rugby club when a youth disco is on. I saw groups of youths drinking bottles of beer and the like. outside the rugby club. They will not do this in view of teh rugby club as they won't get in if they are seen with drink/drunk.
    I saw this on Thursday night I think.

Grab a granny/geriatric park were the nickbnames given to genisus when it opened for the over 35's on saturday nights for awhile! Gas craic, only problem was that cougars weren't fashionable back then! I would have got loads of older women action :D

As for you been a girl, "Do you come here often?":p

boredatwork working his magic!!!!:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rigumagoo

this is really weird on every possible level. please stop doing this.

As for you been a girl, "Do you come here often?":p

She
    didny reply?

Advertisement