Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Toys

Options
  • 16-07-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a place where you can take old toys? My 2 kids (4 and 7) just had a birthday each and I want to clear out some of their older stuff but it kills me to just dump them.

Some are working fine but some have the odd piece missing. Surely there is somewhere that would make use of them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

you could try the irish cancer shop, :) i end up in there alot with bags of clothes with the labels still on, i find them usually once my daughter is too big for them....:rolleyes:

or you could donate the working ones to your local doctors/dentist office...etc im sure they wouldnt say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I cannot rem the name of the shop but it is in Midleton down by Jellyfish the surf shop. They have lots of pre loved items on sale and i as far as I can remember it all goes towards some society

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

SVP or jumbletown maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

freecycle is good, with a generally polite community. Or I know a few parents who might appreciate them if youd rather deal with peeps one on one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

childrens ward in the CUH or The Mercy Hosp ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

childrens ward in the CUH or The Mercy Hosp ?

I tried the hospitals already and was told they can't accept them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

BrianjG wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a place where you can take old toys? My 2 kids (4 and 7) just had a birthday each and I want to clear out some of their older stuff but it kills me to just dump them.

Some are working fine but some have the odd piece missing. Surely there is somewhere that would make use of them.

Seriously, bring them to a charity shop, but only if they're complete, how would you have felt as a child if you were given a toy with bits missing or damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Charity shop of choice is a good option because it goes to a good cause. Get the kids to choose a big basket or bag to put the toys into over time. the toys that they no longer want or have outgrown, explain to them that their toys are going to other kids that will continue to play with them.

I have bought plenty of toys and books in charity shops that gave my little one lots of pleasure. It would be a nice experience for her to know that said toys will live on and give pleasure to another child. There something quite special about that.

Equally I think it would be good for the parent as well in letting go of 'stuff' in the knowledge that the toys would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

Jumbletown is great. I have had no problem passing on anything from toys to furniture, even an old piano! And a dog kennel! One person's junk is another's treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Where's Jumbletown? /new to Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

Jumbletown is a website: www.jumbletown.ie. You register with them and you can post in their forums either to offer your unwanted clutter to anyone who wants it (for free) or you can request something that you are looking for (again, for free). Best thing is to look at the website and all will become clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

BrianjG wrote: »
    I tried the hospitals already and was told they can't accept them.

Thats mad, especially if the toys are good..Now I understand some people may bring a lot of rubbish but if the toys were inspected first or just plastic toys taken...

I have got rid of a few things on Jumble town and it is great...Feels good to pass things on that other people will enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Milly33 wrote: »
    Thats mad, especially if the toys are good..Now I understand some people may bring a lot of rubbish but if the toys were inspected first or just plastic toys taken...

I used to volunteer in a Children's hospital. They could only accept new toys because a lot of the kids come in immunocompromised and it would be difficult for the hospital to ensure that there were no germs on used toys. You never knew what bits had been in someone mouth or up their nose, etc.

Advertisement