Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landmark sculpture for grattan quay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Let's hope the locals don't think it has good resale scrap value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You guys are WAY too harsh. Does everything have to be so conformist?? Beige...the lot of yiz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Why can't a certain ex-Green Party member object to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.Shabby

There will be hairy ponies hitched to it in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

SculptureQuaykids.jpg

I give it three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

REPLACE IT WITH A STATUE OF TONY BROWNE !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Stupid to put it in that location , even put it around the bridge area so most people will see it but to put it where its going is wrong unless council have the plans of upgrading the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

a statue of this man would be better :D

2eukfgy.jpg

OHMYGOD Thats ridulously creepy!
    THE EYES!
    THE EYES!

or another idea......

4rtj5w.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

THATS MORE LIKE IT !
    Typhoon. wrote: »
    or another idea......

4rtj5w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

It's another red square oblisk, or broad street "information centre", or that stupid glass ball in the park...

They need to learn how to keep it simple. It's all art for art's sake, and it looks overdone and fake. I was happy they blocked the last design, but if they accept this, then they've completely missed the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I like the glass ball in the park, though it could do with a clean now and again, I wonder if a bottle of wash up liquid in the water would help...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

looksee wrote: »
    I like the glass ball in the park, though it could do with a clean now and again, I wonder if a bottle of wash up liquid in the water would help...

When the ball in the park is clean and lit up it actually looks ok,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

KingLoser wrote: »
    It's another red square oblisk, or broad street "information centre", or that stupid glass ball in the park...

They need to learn how to keep it simple. It's all art for art's sake, and it looks overdone and fake. I was happy they blocked the last design, but if they accept this, then they've completely missed the point.

The appropriate word is kitsch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

not a big fan of that tall ship on a chain thing. I think the 60k would be much better funding a proper memorial in the city to:

- the boy soldier (John Condon) not that excuse for a plaque hidden away up on the hill.
    - Robert Boyle the scientist
    - Ernest walton

People would actually be interested and impressed by these people and make them stop and appreciate what they done. I like sculptures even abstract ones but we are not doing the most we can to promote our people. Sinn Fein actually blocked the planned memorial for the boy soldier a few years ago....incredible. Tourists from US, Canada, europe and the rest of the world glorify their soldiers/heros, we hide them away were no one can see them

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

The sculpture seems to be attempting a depiction of a tall ship at anchor. Mind you, just looking at the ship it would appear to be anchored by the stern which isn't normal. If a vessel is anchored by the stern then it will also be anchored (or tied) by the bow.

The sculpture just isn't working very well and I'm not sure that many people understand it. I suppose that the ship idea is a good one for Waterford considering the city's origins date back to being a port in Viking times, and maybe even earlier.

I feel that the population of the City would like to identify with this type of sculpture but perhaps it needs to be redesigned to show our maritime heritage including the tall ship idea which does get general approval.

The location on Grattan Quay is also quite poor. It was not used by tall ships since the wooden bridge (Timbertoes) was built in 1793. A scupture showing a tall ship would be better placed downriver near the Clock Tower.

Silverado wrote: »
    The sculpture seems to be attempting a depiction of a tall ship at anchor. Mind you, just looking at the ship it would appear to be anchored by the stern which isn't normal. If a vessel is anchored by the stern then it will also be anchored (or tied) by the bow.

The sculpture just isn't working very well and I'm not sure that many people understand it. I suppose that the ship idea is a good one for Waterford considering the city's origins date back to being a port in Viking times, and maybe even earlier.

I feel that the population of the City would like to identify with this type of sculpture but perhaps it needs to be redesigned to show our maritime heritage including the tall ship idea which does get general approval.

The location on Grattan Quay is also quite poor. It was not used by tall ships since the wooden bridge (Timbertoes) was built in 1793. A scupture showing a tall ship would be better placed downriver near the Clock Tower.

Good points there

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

why couldnt they just keep it simple like the statue of the ship as you enter cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

It's cat. Doesn't do anything for the place.

• Advertisement

RABBLERABBLERABBLE so can we actually do anything about it seeing as its not being funded by the council RABBLERABBLERABBLE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

RABBLERABBLERABBLE so can we actually do anything about it seeing as its not being funded by the council RABBLERABBLERABBLE

Presumably it needs planning permission, so it can be objected to on certain grounds. Not sure ugliness is sufficient grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

What do people think of the location? I know that they are trying to redevelop that whole area but I have a feeling that other than the possibility of people seeing it as they arrive by train it might be a small bit under the radar no? It'll probably be graffitied to hell in the space of a few months anyway :(

merlante wrote: »
    Presumably it needs planning permission, so it can be objected to on certain grounds. Not sure ugliness is sufficient grounds.
    I wonder would it work on the grounds of being a tastless heap of junk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Maybe its because I have no taste in art or something but I dislike it. Seems most of the councilors think its great from reading todays Munster Express :S

Its to big for a start and the design is overly simplistic. An odd choice of location considering its a quiet enough location away from the center of the city.. :S

If the ship was bigger, or even if it was just the ship itself, it might look a bit better. But that chain is just ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I for one would like a statue of How'Do.

Seriously though, I don't like it at all. Art for arts sale was a good point mentioned and I'd agree 100%. If they want to redevelop down there I'm sure any of us here could think of a better way to spend 60k down there.

SculptureQuay.jpg

Dodgy attempt on my part, but even this is more tolerable that that ugly worm thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah definitely looks better. The dodgy chain really distracts from the actual meaning of the piece.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

News & Star had the public opinion leaning more against rather then for.

No fear anyway, the council love it so it will probably go ahead!

Advertisement