Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick climb and barbecue.

Options
  • 16-07-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hello everybody. I'm Matt Loughrey from Westport and I'm doing the 365 ascents challenge on Croagh Patrick. For the 100th ascent I am trying to get 100 people to climb with me and I'll be repeating the same for the 200th/300th and 365th ascent.

The date for the 100th ascent is September 12th (a Sunday). The Landlord of Campbells pub (at the base of Croagh Patrick) has very kindly offered to put on a large barbecue for all those who take part and also intends to climb with us. He has a refurbished barn at the rear of the pub, so the barbecue will be undercover if there's rain. There must be a hundred people out there that would enjoy a day out like that.

Best Regards Matt.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

September 16th is a Thursday...?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

oscarBravo wrote: »
    September 16th is a Thursday...?

Typo cove. Edited.

Woo. Put me down for it provisionally, it'll be my second ascent.

Great stuff, one person is a start. Regards Matt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

I'm not allowed go, but just wanted to say that I think you're fantastic to be doing this!;) It's an unbelievable commitment and the best of luck completing your goal:)

• Advertisement

How can you be not allowed to go??? That must be a long story!! Thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tommy69

Will be there Matt, havent done it before so this is as a good an excuse as I'm goin to get. Might have herself with me so thats another 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I would love to do this and I know a few people who'd be interested. Have to check if I have to be in college around then though..

Tommy69 wrote: »
    Will be there Matt, havent done it before so this is as a good an excuse as I'm goin to get. Might have herself with me so thats another 2
    Great stuff, glad to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

What time of the day are you doing this? Early morning perhaps.
    I'm climbing the reek this sunday but would be well up for it again.
    Would have to be at westport train station for six o clock though. College the next day.

• Advertisement

What time of the day are you doing this? Early morning perhaps.
    I'm climbing the reek this sunday but would be well up for it again.
    Would have to be at westport train station for six o clock though. College the next day.
    Between 8:30am and 10:30am every day. I somehow doubt that 100 people are willing to get here for the earlier start, so, I'll leave that question open for debate. I'm happy to climb at what ever time suits the majority. Either way, the barbecue is a cert. There's a good pint in there too.

Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Well count me in then.
    Also if you happen to come across three very talented musicians busking in Westport tomorrow thro them a euro. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Will it definitely be on the Sunday because I have to book the day off work.. Might as well nail it again for the craic....

Will it definitely be on the Sunday because I have to book the day off work.. Might as well nail it again for the craic....
    It's Sunday the 12th of September. That's official. Hope you can make it, thanks for noticing this thread. Regards Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Hi Matt.... just wondering what the status of this particular climb is, do you have enough ppl and can i join in if you have room, cheers and good luck,

dardevle wrote: »

Hi Matt.... just wondering what the status of this particular climb is, do you have enough ppl and can i join in if you have room, cheers and good luck,

Well so far so good, the response from fans on facebook and posters on boards has been tremendous. There are a good number of people locally that will be climbing too. I estimate 60+ people so far, it's hard to be exact until the day comes. If it's more than 100, well that's a bonus. There's always room for more people, you are very welcome to come along. A lot of people are looking forward to the evening in Campbells, barbecue organised, music and dance. Good craic all 'round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Really wanted to do this on a Saturday as I think I'll need the Sunday to recover! But you've talked me into it - we'll be there (he doesn't know yet)

Did we decide on a start time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

How did the climb go? Did 100 climb? Any pictures? Weather conditions.....

Finisklin

There weren't 100 there, maybe 25 or so. There are some pictures on the Facebook page. I guess I missed the barbecue - there certainly wasn't any cooking going on by the time I finally limped off the mountain getting on for 3pm... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

weather was wet and windy for the most part- not great climbing conditions

hard to tell exactly how many were there....i climbed with my eleven year old daughter and met up with the main group on the summit, had to leave early so didnt get to stick around for the festivities, hopefully will be there for the 200, 300 and the grand finale... think it is a goood cause and worthy of any support i can give.

My most sincere thanks to anybody here that made it up on the day. Never got the 100. 43 people made the climb. In all fairness, the weather was not great!! Campbells put on a hell of celebration. Very proud of the turn out. The pictures from the day are on the facebook page under the 100th climb album.

Advertisement