Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting rid of pc and getting laptop - question

• 16-07-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭

Hi i'm thinking of getting a laptop and getting rid of my pc altogether. I'm just wondering (i'm not a whizz with computers or anything!) if i want to sell the pc how do i get make sure that everything is wiped from the computer - all files, folders etc and that nobody can access it again? Also i would want to transfer some stuff to my laptop and i just want to know how i would do that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

BURN files to dvdr,or cdr, or copy to a usb drive.ALDI have usb drive for sale
    500gig, 65euro approx.
    download install, run this after you have copied all the files you need.
    http://www.dban.org/ ,i think its a bootable cdr that deletes all the files on the drive.you,ll need to make a cdr with dban on it.
    you can use a 2gig pendrive to copy files over, to the new pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can simply remove the hard drive, thats 100% safe.

As for transferring stuff, you can haul it across on USB sticks or if you have a router you can simply drag and drop across the network. Email etc you can export to files then import on the new machine. Its all very straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

get yourself an external drive for file backup from the pc, just copy all your personal docs/movies/vids/music on to it, and then you will want to format your pc's hard drive before sale.

there are plenty of ways to do this, fdisk is one of them. here is a fairly simple to follow instruction on the abilities of fdisk: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/fdisk.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks a mil! Also i bought microsoft office 2007 a couple of years back and installed it on pc - can i 'transfer' this to the laptop or would i have to buy it again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks a mil! Also i bought microsoft office 2007 a couple of years back and installed it on pc - can i 'transfer' this to the laptop or would i have to buy it again.....

The licence usually holds for two installs anyways, one for a desktop and one for a laptop. You can move the installation either way. Instructions on the MS support site.

• Advertisement

The licence usually holds for two installs anyways, one for a desktop and one for a laptop. You can move the installation either way. Instructions on the MS support site.

perfect so i just use the set up cd that i got originally and install onto laptop?

precisely, and actually they're generally three license versions, so you can install on two other machines, laptop or pc is irrelevant

Adam wrote: »
    precisely, and actually they're generally three license versions, so you can install on two other machines, laptop or pc is irrelevant

Great thanks for your help guys!

:)

Sorry just one more question! I also have itunes set up on pc - how do i transfer itunes library and all songs to laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

see here,http://ipod.about.com/od/howtos/a/transfer_itunes.htm
    click guide to process for more precise info,re transfer itunes to pc.

• Advertisement

easiest solution is to just copy the mp3s and reinstall itunes and import on the new laptop

Advertisement