Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn healthcare..any recommendations?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of switching from Hibernian Aviva (ME PLAN) to Quinn healthcare ESSENTIAL STARTER when my contract is due for renewal, basically because of price..380 compared to 560...
    What are Quinn healthcare like?Would I be better of staying with Hibernian?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

You can compare the main benefits of the two plans on the Health Insurance Authority's website (click here for a link to the comparison).

That comparison doesn't compare absolutely every benefit, but it covers the main ones.

I'm with Quinn at the moment, and I've had no problems (but haven't claimed yet). I was previously with Aviva, and had no problems with them either. Just a few things to note about Quinn, just so you know exactly where you stand:

- Quinn don't have as many direct payment scan centres as Aviva. However, as you're in Dublin you still have a reasonable choice of centres. See here for a list of the Quinn centres. Personally, I think the list is fine as a consultant can refer you to the centre of your choice but if there's a particular centre you want to go to, check that Quinn cover it.
    - Quinn don't cover eye laser surgery or teeth whitening in the same way as Aviva; Quinn offer discounts instead of actual cover.
    - After a claim, Quinn have a policy of checking the claim before payment. This usually means they'll ring you to check the details (e.g. to check the hospital billed for the right type of room, to check that you were seen be particular consultants, etc).
    - Quinn charge 3% for payments by instalments.

You may know some of this already, and some of it may not be applicable to you, but I think it's always good to know where you stand before making a decision.

In terms of hospital cover, I think Essential Starter is a bit better than Me Level 1 plan. Both schemes fully cover a semi private room in public hospitals, but the Quinn plan will also fully cover private psychiatric hospitals. Probably not relevant to you, but good to know none the less. Also Essential Starter fulls covers cardiac procedures in 2 hi tech hospitals (super advanced private hospitals), where as Me Plan only covers 35% of the cost.

Hope all of that helps!

Advertisement