Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need help setting up new PC

• 16-07-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

I just finished building my new rig, and it boots!

well kinda...

what do i do now?

when it turns on, i get a quick picture of MSI 770 blah (MoBo)

then a black screen with a flashing underscore.

pressing any buttons makes it jump down a few spaces.

ive tried F1, F8 and F12 to get into the bios, but nothing happens.

am i meant to set RAM timing or something like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have you installed an OS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

uh god am i an idiot?

ive been out of the PC game a while, and figured i had to go into bios and set some stuff up.

good to see thats the only thing that hasnt changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, BIOS setup hasn't changed a whole lot in 15 years except for the addition of new hardware settings for updated hardware. By and large you should be able to install the OS without touching the BIOS, then you can tweak it later for performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I just finished building my new rig, and it boots!

ive tried F1, F8 and F12 to get into the bios, but nothing happens.

Pressing Delete usually gets you into the bios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

When you do get the OS installed and assuming you go with Windows (based on odds not any personal preference) check out www.ninite.com as a one stop downloader for your favourite software.
    I help friends buy and setup new laptops (saving them extended warranties and unneeded subscription AVs) and that site is the first I go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Just back from work, and posting from the new rig now.

thanks for the help!

i started playing in the bios, and managed to unlock the 4th core :) (athlon 2 x3)

but its pretty unstable and BSOD'ed 2 or 3 times, so went back to stock settings till i have time and energy to try get a quad from her yet.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    When you do get the OS installed and assuming you go with Windows (based on odds not any personal preference) check out www.ninite.com

ah man that site is excellent. i always wondered if there were kitchens out there for windows based progs to bake and install.

Advertisement