Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation

• 16-07-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

My attic is converted for storage with a nicely finished carpeted floor and styra folding stairs for access. The two sides of the attic, which are not converted, are well insulated. However the cenral main part of the attic seems to be leaking heat from my house. I peeled back a corner of the carpet and lifted a small segment of the floor. There is one layer of fibrglass insulation. The joists are only about 4 inches deep, so there is not enough room to be squeezing in additional layers.

Can anybody tell me the best way to improve the insulation of this attic?

One person told me that I could lift the entire floor altogether and put Triseo Superfloor 10 down and relay the floor on top of it?

Another option would be to raise the joists? and increase the fibreglass insulation between them and then relay the floor. But this seems to me to be a lot of trouble, especially since the attic floor is currently carpeted and nicely finished with skirting board.. etc.

Would be thankful for suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Just an idea how about puting insulation on the roof of the attic kingspan or something like that it will make the roof look like it is plastered and keep in heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

+1

When you say you have skirting along the attic floor can we deduce that the attic has been converted into a room with 4 walls? If that's the case then you could insulate the ceiling and walls. That would help stop heat escaping through the roof while still keeping the storage room warm and condensation free throughout winter. If too much heat is getting up then your only option is to re-insulate the floor.

Advertisement