Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Greystones

Options
  • 16-07-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Is there any free parking in greystones? I used to use the car park between the arches on the beach but that seems to be P&D now. Is the car park behind there still free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Yes, the DART Park-and-Ride car park is free, just on the left past the beach on the S side of town on the road to Charlesland Golf Club.

Of course, you are parking there because you are taking the DART... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

I think its a disgrace that they should charge to park the car whilst taking your children to the park or walk along the beach..

I agree with the main street but having to pay for going for a stroll in the evening is a bit much for me..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I think its a disgrace that they should charge to park the car whilst taking your children to the park or walk along the beach..

I agree with the main street but having to pay for going for a stroll in the evening is a bit much for me..:mad:

Parking is free in the evening. After 6 pm that is. Free parking halfway up the Whitshed road and its a nice easy stroll to the kids playground from there.
    The park and ride carpark is free all day and just beside the playground and beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I agree , P&D as a way of controlling traffic on the main st and side roads is fair enough but at the beach or sea front is not on and not very welcoming for visitors.

The sea front is a natural ammenity and should not be taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I go further and totally disagree with charging for parking on the main street or the adjoining side streets. if the objective is to keep the streets clear then ban parking in these areas AFTER providing an alternative convenient free area.

This is just another tax on an overburdened motorist. We already pay a road tax to the County Council and get precious nothing in return.

I would also say that pay parking is a deterrent to shopping/banking in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Does'nt anyone remember the chaos in the main street before paid parking came into being! Maybe it would never have happened if there was'nt so many thoughtless people parking almost in through the doors of shops and causing awful hassle. I worked in the main street then and every weekend was mad. Really!

The Guide wrote: »
    Does'nt anyone remember the chaos in the main street before paid parking came into being! Maybe it would never have happened if there was'nt so many thoughtless people parking almost in through the doors of shops and causing awful hassle. I worked in the main street then and every weekend was mad. Really!

yes , most people on here are objecting to having to pay for parking in areas of puclic amenity , not the main st.

Thats where the park n ride comes in - free all day everyday and near everything

Thats where the park n ride comes in - free all day everyday and near everything

It might be near everything for young people but it is not near everything for the very young and old, far from it.

Well maybe the very old, I'll give you that although my own mother has walked it many times and she's 90 and didnt find it too long but I think Kiddies would well be able to walk it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

+1 on this.

I also think Danjo's comment about it being a "deterrent" against shopping/banking in the town is hilarious. Its just not. All the business owners I know are doing well.

Having P&D on the main street only but not on the side roads would choke the side roads preventing ease of access to the main street.

They may be doing well but it is definitely a deterrent. It just doesn't affect the shop keepers if what your saying is true (not so sure it is true across the board)
    Well maybe the very old, I'll give you that although my own mother has walked it many times and she's 90 and didnt find it too long but I think Kiddies would well be able to walk it

You've none yourself obviously, try popping in for what would be a 3 minute message if you where on your own with three kids and your trying to find change somewhere.
    Try having to bring them back to the park n'ride from the cove after an afternoon out !

Huntthe wrote: »
    They may be doing well but it is definitely a deterrent.

That black thing may be black but its white.

You've none yourself obviously, try popping in for what would be a 3 minute message if you where on your own with three kids and your trying to find change somewhere.
    Try having to bring them back to the park n'ride from the cove after an afternoon out !

Have a few myself alright 5 exactly, so Ive plenty of experience of getting around and about with children but having said that, this could go on all day toing and froing - the fact is when you take everything into consideration Greystones is a great place to bring a family up and if a few things are not to your fancy 100% of the time, well in the overall picture its not a bad price to pay for all the amenities and surroundings and still with easy access to Dublin, Dundrum (for drivers), Dun Laoire, need I go on.....

No you needn't I've lived here all my life. While I am prepared to accept the restrictions on parking on the main street due to the increased population. (beats me how anyone can say it doesn't affect business on the main street) I will not accept the tax we have to pay to park conveniently by the sea front, the playground or the Burnaby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the problem is that once you introduce pay parking, you also have to enforce it, and you then have to set the price at a level that will pay for the enforcement (the wardens).

its €1 an hour to park in Greystones - its €2 for 3 hours in Dundrum shopping centre - where would you rather shop. The price is too high, but the council will argue that they can't afford to lower it.

I was in France recently parking in a fairly big town that is also a major tourist destination. I put €2 into the machine thinking I'd be covered for a couple of hours. I got a ticket back that covered me until noon the following day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

While I am prepared to accept the restrictions on parking on the main street due to the increased population. (beats me how anyone can say it doesn't affect business on the main street)

I find the opposite. I will now often pop down to Greystones if I need something because I KNOW I will get a parking space easily.
    Before pay parking it was almost impossible to find a space so I tended to put off any shopping I needed.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    +1 on this.

I also think Danjo's comment about it being a "deterrent" against shopping/banking in the town is hilarious. Its just not. All the business owners I know are doing well.
    Perhaps they would do better without P&D. I for one would go there more frequently.
    Having P&D on the main street only but not on the side roads would choke the side roads preventing ease of access to the main street.
    So you do admit then that P&D is a deterrent then ....exactly my point, thank you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Without P&D what happens is the first 50-60 Dart commuters in the morning will park their cars on Main St. and then leave them there for the day.
    Thus there are no spaces available for people who might just want to do a bit of shopping and return home.
    With P&D a parking space will get used by many people during the day, without it the space will probably be only used by one.

While I think the paid parking is a good thing, maybe a change could be made on the coast road for visitors or families going to the beach, and then a time limit could be introduced maybe a 2 or 4 hour limit and then that would stop people parking for full days other than this I dont think there is any way round having free parking anywhere because if charges are dropped in any area, people going to work will certainly get there first and the places will be gone for the rest of the day. Dont know whether that is viable or not.

• Advertisement

loobylou wrote: »
    Without P&D what happens is the first 50-60 Dart commuters in the morning will park their cars on Main St. and then leave them there for the day.
    Thus there are no spaces available for people who might just want to do a bit of shopping and return home.
    With P&D a parking space will get used by many people during the day, without it the space will probably be only used by one.

It is not necessary to have P&D to prevent all day parking on the main street. All that is required is to set a limit e.g. one hour limit on parking there. This could be controlled by the parking attendants and facilitate shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

danjo wrote: »
    It is not necessary to have P&D to prevent all day parking on the main street. All that is required is to set a limit e.g. one hour limit on parking there. This could be controlled by the parking attendants and facilitate shoppers.

they had that before - it wasn't controlled by the parking attendants because at the time there were no parking attendants. Its the parking fees that pay for the attendants...

So you do admit then that P&D is a deterrent then ....exactly my point, thank you. :D

No.
    Not at all.

Being that your point was that people were being deterred from using the shops and banks and my point was that there is less traffic congestion as a result of poor parking on the roads.

Have you not heard of public transport? Walking? Bikes?
    Being capable of applying logic to an argument?

No.
    Not at all.

Being that your point was that people were being deterred from using the shops and banks and my point was that there is less traffic congestion as a result of poor parking on the roads.

Have you not heard of public transport? Walking? Bikes?
    Being capable of applying logic to an argument?

Clogging up the side streets to avoid paid parking on the main street means people are deterred by paid parking. That is a logical conclusion.

You other question is facile and unworthy of a response.

Clogging up the side streets to avoid paid parking on the main street means people are deterred by paid parking. That is a logical conclusion.

No its not.

I would also say that pay parking is a deterrent to shopping/banking in the town.

That was your point.
    If people had close uncontrolled parking they would park there, but they are still shopping/banking.
    Now people have pay parking everywhere....and the are still banking/shopping.
    Ergo: No deterrant to shopping/banking

If your point had been that it deterred parking then I might be proving the (rather facile) point you made above. I suggest you check up the definition of the word.

I suppose you were applying at type of logic, reductive logic.
    This is unhelpful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 egorski

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Doing his job

Yep, agreed. If this motorist had a disabled pass, wouldn't have got a ticket. Otherwise book the lazy proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

egorski wrote: »

He's clearly doing crytic crossword, not writing a ticket, ergo not doing his job! :p

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 egorski

Actually - that parking attendent was beamed down from above to sort out illegal parking infront of the church.....

Advertisement