Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to find Labrador dog breeders?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hiya, I was just wondering if anyone knows where the best place to find myself a silver/grey labrador pup?? I.e breeders etc...

I'm not in a mad hurry would be hoping to have the pup by march april...

Any help would be great.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ivenever heard of these so doubt there are any in Ireland. Have never seen them in the UK either so doubt they ar eeasy to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Silver/grey/charcoal labs have some popularity in US. They are in fact dilute chocolate or dilute black and as such not recognised in the breed standard by Kennel Club - UK or Irish or, I believe, US). They would appear to be yet another "designer dog": the result of clever marketing to imply a level of exclusivity and rarity to a dog which actually has little or no value (in terms of showing).

Good breeders breed for type & temperament, not colour. In my opinion, the increased popularity of the chocolate lab in recent times has led to the breeding of some very poor examples of the breed.

I think that many of the supposed silver labs are in fact pale chocolate. If you really want one then you need to ask yourself why. If you want a lab for their known type & temperament then seek out the best you can find & make your decision on that basis, rather than just the colour of the coat. If you want a silver dog, then consider a weimeraner. (There is widespread opinion that the "silver" labs are the result of introducing weimeraner blood).

This link gives a theory as to how the silver colour came about:
    http://http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html

Advertisement