Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you pronounce Ballyheigue?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but how is Ballyheigue pronounced?

Is it like Ballyhague.

BTW, have ye ever heard of Richard Cantillion?

Cheers,

Finnbar01

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Bally-high-ige is what I hear people call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Bally-hi-gue :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Ball-ai-hi-ge

Or in thick Kerry accent... Ball aaaaaa hiiii ge

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Bally-hi-ge... I have pronounced it many a time

Everyone knows that Bally B refers to Ballybunion, so we should consider calling Ballyheigue Bally H :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dh0661 wrote: »
    Everyone knows that Bally B refers to Ballybunion, so we should consider calling Ballyheigue Bally H :)

Some people might be upset when they visit Ballyhorgan by mistake and the tide doesn't come in.:eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some people might be upset when they visit Ballyhorgan

Where's Ballyhorgan ? - not a sea side location AFAIK.

dh0661 wrote: »
    Where's Ballyhorgan ? - not a sea side location AFAIK.

Near Lixnaw, and that's why the tide doesn't come in:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I pronounce it like : Bally - hi - ghe

but really, it all depends on the person and the condition of said person. I've heard manys' a name for the place at varying hours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Pronounce it with only 3 syllables

Bal
    ee
    heigue

pronounce the heigue part like "The Hague" just replace the "a" with an "i".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Bally-hige?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

ya, bally-hige. a beautiful seaside village:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

the Bally part is obvious but the heigue part rhymes with the boy's name Tadhg. Some Ballyheigue locals do pronounce heigue as hague as in the city of "The Hague" but outsiders would be laughed at if they pronounced it that way or look like they were making fun of the locals accents!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Have anyone heard of Richard Cantillion. He was from Ballyheigue. Google him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Have anyone heard of Richard Cantillion. He was from Ballyheigue. Google him.

Interesting that Cantillon is a spanish derived name. There are a lot of dark-haired/eyed/skinned people on the west coast whose heritage was put down to Spanish Armada sailors/soldiers settling down. Might be some truth to it after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brocdubh

bally-hige

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

take it from a ballyheigue native:
    http://vocaroo.com/?media=vnkru264iLY8JOWVm

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Henwin wrote: »
    ya, bally-hige. a beautiful seaside village:)

Where the yocals don't take kindly to tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

trust me, the young tourists are just as bad as the locals.

hacx wrote: »
    trust me, the young tourists are just as bad as the locals.

I had 50 stitches in my head and face that say otherwise, for minding my own f*ckin business walking along the beach.

• Advertisement

mooman wrote: »
    I had 50 stitches in my head and face that say otherwise, for minding my own f*ckin business walking along the beach.

That's what you get for putting a bra on Roger Casement's statue.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's what you get for putting a bra on Roger Casement's statue.

Ha funny joke coz thats what I was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Good to see good humour still there despite the inexpensive plastic surgery. Would it have been worse if he was taking the bra off? And what the hell is wee rodger pointing at anyway?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Loveredtulips

mooman wrote: »
    Where the yocals don't take kindly to tourists

That's a pity u have to paint us all with the same brush. We love to see tourists and try to make them feel as welcome as possible. Ok no matter where u go, unfortunately there are some yobs but are u certain it was a local that attacked u? If so, I am sorry and it's a shame to hear it. I haven't heard of those type of attacks in the area and I live here 35 years. Unfortunately, nowhere is safe after dark but I would hope most people enjoy their time visiting Ballyheigue. I'm a health professional, don't drink and enjoy the country outdoors by the sea. We're not all criminals!

That's a pity u have to paint us all with the same brush. We love to see tourists and try to make them feel as welcome as possible. Ok no matter where u go, unfortunately there are some yobs but are u certain it was a local that attacked u? If so, I am sorry and it's a shame to hear it. I haven't heard of those type of attacks in the area and I live here 35 years. Unfortunately, nowhere is safe after dark but I would hope most people enjoy their time visiting Ballyheigue. I'm a health professional, don't drink and enjoy the country outdoors by the sea. We're not all criminals!

I'm positive it wasn't A local it was localS. Some of them went to court but it was a group of over 20 people. I find it very hard to believe you didn't hear about it. I have a lot of family down there and spent 2 weeks every summer for 16 years there but I have only been there for a couple of funerals since. The fact that so many people told local relatives of mine the names of people involved before suddenly forgetting when they realized who they were talking to was the thing that really put me off the whole place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Going off-topic a little isn't this!!

My take on this phonetic discussion.... bah-lee-hi-guh (quickly hehe)

Advertisement