Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bang for buck PCI-E card atm?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the best bang for buck PCI-E card for gaming atm? Better than Nvidia GS7900 but less than €100. New or used.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You should find a 1GB 4890 on adverts for about €100, they pop up now and again

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i bought a 5770 for a bargain-defying 75 euro the other day. you could always have a peek for sub 100 euro 5770's XD

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

How?! Where?! :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

:mad: @ cherryghost

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    :mad: @ cherryghost

I supposed you wouldn't wanna know what I did with it?

gave it away a present to my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

n34328596079_4413.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I supposed you wouldn't wanna know what I did with it?

gave it away a present to my friend

Is this one of those 'special' friends I've heard about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Well we all know that that friend wasn't me :(

Just to draw this back on topic ......

With €150 to spend , what do ye reckon is the best bang for buck atm .

• Advertisement

None. HD5770s are a bit cheaper, and HD5830s are a bit pricier. The former is unchallenged in its price bracket unless you count second-hand HD4890s. The latter is challenged by the GTX460, but that is even further away from €150.

If you're not bumping up uber high resolutions, pixmania have the 768mb GTX460 going from 170 euro. It's excellent overclocked too

I am using a 9800 gt atm and playing cod mw2 , I have the €150 put aside for a good while waiting for the 5770's to come down in price but instead they went up and now I am wondering if there is anything on the horizon that would be better to wait for ie: some new budget card or something that would make prices go back down to pre "jonski has money" prices .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

jonski wrote: »
    I am using a 9800 gt atm and playing cod mw2 , I have the €150 put aside for a good while waiting for the 5770's to come down in price but instead they went up and now I am wondering if there is anything on the horizon that would be better to wait for ie: some new budget card or something that would make prices go back down to pre "jonski has money" prices .

Nvidia's GF106 Chip will be on the upcoming GTS450 which is supposed to hit markets in september. After looking at the rumored and leaked specs it is quite safe to assume it will land at about 5750-performance-level. No warranty for my speculation here, tho! :) Price is still unknown.
    But pricing for 5770-1GB here in Germany currently begins at 129€, so maybe you could find something cheaper, if you dig deeper.

Germany is always cheapest! :mad::(

Advertisement