Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Nokia wasting their time with this?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Nokia_E5_Sky_Blue.jpg
    The E5 is meant to be out very shortly, but is anyone going to buy it?

Its just a repackaged E72 with less features. It doesn't even look as good, in my view anyway. Maybe the E72 is to business for some people, and this is more so aimed at social network users, but they could just use the e63 instead. Seems like a cheap rebranding gimmick to me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

lots of phone companys lately seem to be bringing out cut down versions of their higher spec phones and aiming them at the e100-150 market rather than the e350-450 license.

i'm fed up of nokia though and most of the people i speak to are too. in that respect nokia is wasting it's time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

the thing with this one is, its not gonna be cheap. Will be in the €300 ball park for sim free, that was my point (didnt make it clear :o) that you could get a e72 or e63 for less cash

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If it's the facebook and twitter heads an inq chat would be very cheap in comparison. Personally I think nokia have lost the plot, there making some terrible phones and the good ones they are making are built to break. The 6700 has to have the easiest screen to break i've seen on a phone in a long time. What's the point in making a solid steel looking phone with a plastic screen.

Actually you just reminded me of the 6303, seen plenty of the screens cracked very early on. Just lately seeing buttons coming off them too. Gone are the days of the 6310's

buttons are coming off the 6700's as well, i'm really turned off nokia as a brand. Complained to nokia i was so enraged about the screen life in the 6700. Do you think they gave a dam.

• Advertisement

Market share is down, losing hand over fist to apple htc etc, their profits are way down, so they are trying to cut costs and corners. Not doing themself any favours if it continues

6700 was the tipping point for me, I really thought they had a winner on their hands, but after that and the 5310 express music which you'd be lucky to get a week out of before it fell apart.

i'm going to shut up now as i'm very close to going on a serious rant.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

What an ugly phone that E5 is :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I don't understand the E designation on this, under the revised naming scheme E was still the business phones, N - feature orientated and C being the budget range. As it stands the e series has a very decent name, not glamorous by any needs, but is known for solid, well built phones and here Nokia goes and undermines the ranges image with what looks like a phone for teenagers. Don't get me wrong, this is probably going to be a good phone but it's just another example of Nokia not knowing where they're going with their branding.

E is for the Edjit who buys it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Despite the occasionally clunky software, I'm sticking with my E71.

The E-series has really gone downhill since the E51 and E71 in my opinion.

The build quality is not there. Look at the call/end call buttons on the E5, they're integrated into a one piece key part that also incorporates the menu/contacts button on the left and right hand side.

On the E71 these keys are solid separate keys that are better ergonomically.

It's no wonder a lot of corporate users are changing over to iPhones or the likes of the Blackberry 9700.

And the danger for Nokia is that they'll never go back to a Nokia. There goes your market share guys. You've blown it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Anyone else think this was going to be another N900 thread? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

the state of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

nokia make phones to meets peoples pockets
    this is why there is so many to choose from this is nearly identical to the e72 only for plastic cover

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

never buying a nokia again after that 5310 piece of ****, think the screen cracked after about 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They are wasting their time quite a bit lately but this probably isn't the device that you should be using to highlight them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

never buying a nokia again after that 5310 piece of ****, think the screen cracked after about 5 days

No doubt you think that you played absolutely no part in it cracking but more often than not, the user is responsible for it in one way or another.

Ahh Jesus take it handy on him, 5310 was dirt all round from buttons that fell off after a day to bending like a soft chocolate bar, the 6700 is screen is another example, it's designed to brake easily.

Why did Nokia never make another 5140? That sums up their dilemma, make phones that work and need little repairs or make phone that fall apart and need constant servicing. If apple is the new Toyota then Nokia is now the fiat. (fix it again tomorrow)!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

a phone should be built to last at least a few months in a pocket, that one was not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭thomasj

I can safely say the n97mini was the tipping point for me. I just had to get rid of it. Even the n900 which looked a great phone i wasnt going to risk. The buttons are horrible to use its what pushed me in
    the 100% touch screen direction.
    Why they are still using symbian baffles me!

Any of their phones theybring out are predictable!

Maybe thats in pounds rather than euro? I did round up a little but, but i dont think you will see it here sim free for less than €250. Personally would rather pay the little extra for the E72

Davy wrote: »
    Nokia_E5_Sky_Blue.jpg
    The E5 is meant to be out very shortly, but is anyone going to buy it?

Its just a repackaged E72 with less features. It doesn't even look as good, in my view anyway. Maybe the E72 is to business for some people, and this is more so aimed at social network users, but they could just use the e63 instead. Seems like a cheap rebranding gimmick to me

its the best of both worlds really
    yes its an e72 in new clothes plus the addition of a contacts bar on homescreen the E72 lacks this.
    had a play around with one there and i have to say i liked it:D
    its just nokias way of bringing a product to an affordable cost:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

not everyone wants or can afford an iphone - which has had it's own well publicised problems with signal etc.

yes its a good buy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

have to say it doesn't look like a bad update to teh e63, shame they aren't doing a more updated version of the e72, as I don't think the e7 with the slide out keyboard is what a lot of business users are looking for

• Advertisement

Its hard to say without really seeing it. Is it noticeable?

Generally any external markings would be a no go for warranty

Advertisement