Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of gardai presence in eyre square

Options
  • 16-07-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

When the weather is nice out, Eyere square is a great place to hang around. But the last few times I walked through during the day with nice weather out I have seen various different things happening that makes me want to go somewhere else.

You will always get your drunks sitting down drinking/passed out, But in more recent I have noticed a lot of them getting violence and starting fights with people walking past/with each other.
    Last week I was walking trough(from bottom near foster street going across to eglinton) and I saw a man trying to punch this women, with at least 4/5 people watching. I wouldn't interfere because who knows what the man is carrying such as a knife etc. But I was on my way to ring mill street when I noticed a gardai car driving passed.
    Today I was walking past and there were 4/5 drunken people with a woman passed out on the grass with 3-4 people throwing punches at each other and at one stage 2 guys walking past got pulled into the action. I didn't have my phone on me so couldn't report it. But this can all be avoided if there was a proper gardai presence in eyre square during nice/semi nice weather. I have numerous other stories about people there, but when seeing this happen I actually felt bad for tourists walking around eyre square to witness this happening.

I know there is a lack of gardai in the city but I would expect it being the Arts festival there would be at least a small increase in gardai around the busy areas(spanish arch, shop/quay street and eyre square)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I agree. Ban drink.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Get onto the Minister for Justice.

The Gardai are seriously under resourced when it comes to buildings, vehicles and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

snubbleste wrote: »
    I agree. Ban drink.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

That's all fair enough but then we applaud and think it's great crack altogether to bush drink at playgrounds and the Spanish Arch and Nimmos and Claddagh and...... leave behind smashed bucky bottles and cans and plastic around.... and sure, a splash of puke on the footpath is mad altogether! sure, we're just having the crack!

aah, us Irish, it's always someone else causing the problem when it's just a matter of scale.

Man in the Mirror?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I think this is a fair proportion fo the reason I get bored sh*tless in Galway during the summer - sunny weather, I think it'll be nice to go chill out somewhere, and every square inch of green area round the city is full of people drinking bucky and warm dutch gold, acting like obnoxious loud (sometimes aggressive) drunks leaving a horrible mess behind them.
    The nice areas not full of drunks are generally full of dogsh*t.
    People just have no notion of picking things up after them, and drunkness is considered an excuse for everything :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

I think this is a fair proportion fo the reason I get bored sh*tless in Galway during the summer - sunny weather, I think it'll be nice to go chill out somewhere, and every square inch of green area round the city is full of people drinking bucky and warm dutch gold, acting like obnoxious loud (sometimes aggressive) drunks leaving a horrible mess behind them.
    The nice areas not full of drunks are generally full of dogsh*t.
    People just have no notion of picking things up after them, and drunkness is considered an excuse for everything :mad:

Totally agree, seems to be an Irist trait, just leave litter,dog****,empties wherever, fag butts as well, I'm a smoker but a lot of fag butts are flowing in to the water system just cos people can't be arsed to find a bin/ashtray.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Chief--- wrote: »
    Get onto the Minister for Justice.

The Gardai are seriously under resourced when it comes to buildings, vehicles and staff.

They're too busy implementing the blasphemy law: arresting people, realising they're gardai and letting them off the hook. A lot of shredding to be done afterwards.Same applies to drink driving, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭NUIG_FiannaFail

lads i don't know why ye're all so hard on the guards. they do a fantastic job as far as I and the vast majority of citizens in Galway are concerned. They can't be all things to all people - show some respect.

Bunch of feckin hippies on here with nothin better to be doing than giving out. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

lads i don't know why ye're all so hard on the guards. they do a fantastic job as far as I and the vast majority of citizens in Galway are concerned. They can't be all things to all people - show some respect.

Bunch of feckin hippies on here with nothin better to be doing than giving out. :mad:

Obvious poster is obvious.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

The guards do deserve respect. They do what they can with the resources they have. Which is feck all thanks to ur crowd!!
    A crowd of thieves, traitors and gangsters who have ruined this country once again for a generation!
    So do us a favour and take a long look in the mirror before you pass judgement on others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

If I ever saw any Gardai on the beat around Galway I might be easier on them. I see you're taking a break from trolling the NUIG forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NUIG_FiannaFail won't be trolling for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

awwh! i wanted to play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

snubbleste wrote: »
    I agree. Ban drink.
    So you want an increase in violence?

Advertisement