Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Screwed?

• 16-07-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

These were my Summer test results and I am going into leaving cert.

English (H) C1
    Biology (H) E
    Maths (O) E
    German (H) D1
    Economics (H) E
    Irish (O) B3
    His (H) D1

I did not expect to do so bad and thinking about school next year makes my heart race :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

this is a suggests only,I think that u will study harder for mocks and ur leaving considering u have bad grades you might like to study before you start school two weeks to not accumalte everything for 6th and jog your memory and maybe learn sumthing new.Dont worry u have done good in some subjects so ur capable to do better

good luck ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I wouldn't worry, man. Biology and Economics should be easy enough to sort out over the year - neither of them are rocket science, just lots of learning names and definitions. You've done well enough in Irish and English, so you've obviously got brains enough to do well in the others.

Get serious about getting a pass in Maths and you'll do fine.

And always remember, if you ask anyone over 25 they have trouble remembering what subject they did, never mind what grades they got. Just put your head down and get through it, it's not the be-all and end-all of human existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Think of it as motivation, like most of your subjects are just rote memorization (history, biology,economics) , and are easy to bring up your grade in (I did it with history for the JC, went from 58% in the mocks to an A, it can be done!). The ones that would be hard to go up in ( Irish and English) you're doing well in, so no bother there like. Good luck and just study from the beginning of the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Thanks, I seriously think I am dyslexic when it comes to maths and never been diagnosed :confused: I remember struggling with it in primary school as well. I have no confidence when it comes to maths either, when I was younger I found it almost impossible to memorize tables and still don't know them to this day. My maths teacher is going to slaughter me when I go back :( I can't get grinds either cause my parents say I am just lazy.

English, I think I'll be fine in. The Summer exam didn't have the personal essay thing, the unseen poetry and all that kind of stuff. Just poetry, play and the comparison which we rushed through at the end of the year so. Plus my teacher marks SO HARD! The other honours class teacher marks so easy and my friend who doesn't use quotes and teacher gives them no notes got a B in fairness :rolleyes:

Biology, ok I was doing good through the year but another teacher made out the test and I was like :eek: when I opened the paper I didn't remember doing most of it. My teacher wrote ''Trouble coping at this level'' on my report but I REALLY have to do honours, I need a C3 in it for vet. nursing which is all I have ever wanted to do.

Economics, never wanted to do it. I had to do it because I was going to do Japanese which clashed with History. I had the choice between accounting (maths again, so no way, I skipped all the accounting type questions in the Bus JC exam) and home ec (didn't do it for the JC, and already doing a science subject). So I ended up doing Economics which I seriously have no interest in at all, I don't even watch the news. I am good at the first few easy definition chapters, and none of that was on the test of course. So I just need to get better at the hard chapters.

History, I think if I just memorize more I'll be fine. Plus my history research topic is done and she has it, so just perfect that and hope for the best. Plus of course memorize.

Irish, just keep going and I'll be grand, memorize a few poems, few stories, bit of oral, sorted.

German, hopefully I will get better at it as the year goes on, it is just that I need to keep going over things and do more of the writing bits.

I think this is the only year I feel sick with the thought of going back to school, I feel like not going back :( I hope I will work well this year, cause every year I'm all motivated going back but it lasts like a month and I'm unorganised and unmotivated again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are dyslexic, your school should have picked it up. Did you use a tape or a scribe for the C1 in Higher English?
    If you really believe you are dyslexic, you should get tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Thanks, I seriously think I am dyslexic when it comes to maths and never been diagnosed :confused: I remember struggling with it in primary school as well. I have no confidence when it comes to maths either, when I was younger I found it almost impossible to memorize tables and still don't know them to this day. My maths teacher is going to slaughter me when I go back :( I can't get grinds either cause my parents say I am just lazy.

English, I think I'll be fine in. The Summer exam didn't have the personal essay thing, the unseen poetry and all that kind of stuff. Just poetry, play and the comparison which we rushed through at the end of the year so. Plus my teacher marks SO HARD! The other honours class teacher marks so easy and my friend who doesn't use quotes and teacher gives them no notes got a B in fairness :rolleyes:

Biology, ok I was doing good through the year but another teacher made out the test and I was like :eek: when I opened the paper I didn't remember doing most of it. My teacher wrote ''Trouble coping at this level'' on my report but I REALLY have to do honours, I need a C3 in it for vet. nursing which is all I have ever wanted to do.

Economics, never wanted to do it. I had to do it because I was going to do Japanese which clashed with History. I had the choice between accounting (maths again, so no way, I skipped all the accounting type questions in the Bus JC exam) and home ec (didn't do it for the JC, and already doing a science subject). So I ended up doing Economics which I seriously have no interest in at all, I don't even watch the news. I am good at the first few easy definition chapters, and none of that was on the test of course. So I just need to get better at the hard chapters.

History, I think if I just memorize more I'll be fine. Plus my history research topic is done and she has it, so just perfect that and hope for the best. Plus of course memorize.

Irish, just keep going and I'll be grand, memorize a few poems, few stories, bit of oral, sorted.

German, hopefully I will get better at it as the year goes on, it is just that I need to keep going over things and do more of the writing bits.

I think this is the only year I feel sick with the thought of going back to school, I feel like not going back :( I hope I will work well this year, cause every year I'm all motivated going back but it lasts like a month and I'm unorganised and unmotivated again.

To let you know but that condition is called: Dyscalculia, that is the name of the condition when talking about difficulties with Maths and sadly, there is no test for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I have no confidence when it comes to maths ..... My maths teacher is going to slaughter me when I go back ... vet. nursing which is all I have ever wanted to do.

Where do you want to do vet nursing? Like Letterkenny IT & Dundalk IT (LEVEL 7) has a lower maths requirement than UCD (LEVEL 8)

UCD maths requirement OC3
    Letterkenny IT & Dundalk IT maths requirement OD3 or FB2

Or you could do a FETAC in animal care which might get you into the IT course. You mightn't need maths to get into FETAC and some of the colleges may not demand that you do a maths module as part of your FETAC qualification. The point is don't let maths destroy your chance of becoming a vet nurse. There's lots of ways apart from slaving at leaving cert maths to get to where you want. Plug away at the maths but realise it isn't everything

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

Tordelback wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry, man. Biology .........should be easy enough to sort out over the year ............ just lots of learning names and definitions.

oops!!!

Year on year, higher level Biology has a higher failure rate and a lower honours rate than either Physics or Chemistry. It is most definitely NOT the easy pick that many people seem to consider it to be!

Hopefully I will get the C3 in pass maths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

They will also mark you a lot harder on your Mocks to encourage you to work harder for the real exams, i would'nt worry too much about it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

oops!!!

Year on year, higher level Biology has a higher failure rate and a lower honours rate than either Physics or Chemistry. It is most definitely NOT the easy pick that many people seem to consider it to be!
    Maybe that's because the less capable people take it as they think it's easy? And they avoid chemistry and physics, so there are less failures in those? From my experience, it's usually only the smarter ones that do chem and physics (in general, not as a rule obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: fcuk yes.

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Short answer: yes.

Long answer: fcuk yes.

Thanks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Thanks.....

Any time bro.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Man you just have to pack it in now. I hope you're good at blocklaying or something because you're screwed...:p
    Stop worrying...you'll be grand.

I'm a girl ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I wouldnt worry too much. Biology is grand once you understand it. Thats important. UNDERSTAND IT. You should spend an hour on this every night and longer on weekends if you want to do well. I freaked out about the experiments and then near the end realised they're a ctually grand. I did all 3 on the day of exam. Just pay attention in class with them.

I got a C in German in JC, was failing it at start of 5th year and i'm very confident I got an A1 or A2 in exam. People really underestimate the foreign language, especially if they have a bad teacher like I did because they're not realistic. i got a Grind half way through 5th year. Depending on what you want in the real thing I'd work towards that. But I worked my ass off in German, I wouldn't asvise it if you need to concentrate a lot on your other subjects. From someone who used to really suck at german, what you need to do is get a notebook, any vocab you meet that day you don't know, write it down and learn it that night. It helps so much. Even two days of vocab helps so much. Also make sure to do a letter once a week or ausserung. Learn from your mistakes and thats how you'll improve. Also make sure you learn as much as possible for the oral. It really improves every aspect of your German. I'm going on a bit now so I'll move on.

English I also worked very hard in also. A C1 is not a bad result at all for a 5th year. In the end I was very worried about English and learned off quality essays I got from my grind teacher. People gave out to me for this but my English really improved because of it. I was never very good at English but this worked for me even though people seemed to have issues with it when I told them.

I'm looking for a pass in O Irish so I can't comment but your result is good.

The best advice I can give you is don't be too concerned with what your friends or anyone else is doing. Study the way you want to and do what works for you. I freaked out last September. Most people freak out at some stage, I just got mine over with early. Also don't worry too much if you miss a day of study every now and then and don't feel like you shouldn't have some fun at the weekends. Most people have the wrong idea about 6th year, its only once you've done it you think, I wouldn't want to do that again but if I had to I'd know how this time. Anyway I'm really going on so just stay focused and don't stress. Hope there was some helpful information amonst all that.lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If you are prepared to put the work in then you are not screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

Maybe that's because the less capable people take it as they think it's easy? And they avoid chemistry and physics, so there are less failures in those? From my experience, it's usually only the smarter ones that do chem and physics (in general, not as a rule obviously).

exactly!!

people take it thinking it is easy and then discover that they can't do it! so they fail!

Biology is NOT the easy option some people think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

No one can really tell you if you're absolutely screwed or not based on a set of grades, and they certainly can't tell you anything that you don't already know yourself. The grades you've supplied have huge variables attached to them (teachers who set the exams, correctors, how you felt about the paper on the day etc.) that we couldn't comprehend; hence, even if we wanted to we couldn't give you an accurate appraisal of how you're doing.

In the end, the point is how you feel about those results and what you can learn from them. If you are dissatisfied, the only answer is to work harder. Remember that for all the exams you do and all the results you get, absolutely nobody can tell you how your Leaving Cert will go and any "predictions" regarding how you'll do (be it poorly or well) are nonsense and should be disregarded.

In the end, it's less a question of being "screwed" and more a question of being "dissatisfied". If you're not content with your results then you have to improve on them, and the only means to that end is pure hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

I am an economics student, well was, just did the LC. If you are struggling that badly at it and you have no interest in it my best advice would be to drop it and concentrate on your other six subjects or take up something like Phys-Chem or Construction. You will NOT do well with just the 'learning-off' chapters as they (the department) are trying to incoporate as many different topics as possible into the paper. 10 years ago you would've been grand but questions these days are much more varied! Very annoying as my teacher was one old and lulled us into a false sense of security! Another piece of advice (if you're going to do it) would be to learn off the economists as they can come up in any question (this I did not realise until the revision period after the French exam!). However economics is a very short course and I would defo do it again if I was repeating....

I might drop down to pass economics after Christmas, I am going to try and work as hard as I can and if I get a C or more I'll stay in honours, anything below I'm just going to drop down and work on my other, harder subjects. I also am determined NOT to drop to pass biology, I have to stay in honours full stop. History, I think I'll cope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You don't have to drop down to pass if you put in a certain amount of time regurlarly.

As for German, get as many of those listening tapes as you possibly can. The standard of languages in Irish schools is so terrible that if you can have a comfortable conversation you will do great, at least in the oral. And it doesn't take more than a few months to be able to have a conversation in a language. You just have to put in the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

unknown13 wrote: »
    To let you know but that condition is called: Dyscalculia, that is the name of the condition when talking about difficulties with Maths and sadly, there is no test for it.

go away with your ****e.

there is no such condition in maths, it's just poor teaching. if you get a poor maths education when you're young, don't expect to be a genious in maths when you're doing the lc. if you have these bad roots at maths, you won't get anywhere. it's not only the primary>secondary school progression, it's also the secondary school> 3rd level education transition. i see people failing maths all the time, finding it extremely hard. and these people are genuinely bright peeps, not some laid back don't-do-any-study heads. you want to know why? it's because they did ordinary level maths, yes they got an A1 so what. the whole maths education in this country is fcked because of putting children on different boats at an early age, incredibly bad look towards maths "OHH NO NUMBERS, OHH NO LETTERS wtf DO I DO?". then you have the two boats of OL and HL.

please take back all your crap about disleksia my a*hole.

maths teachers suck. i had the good fortune of having a brilliant teacher, that's why i got a b1 hl in the lc.

don't let all this dyscalculi ****e let you down.

--

OP good luck with your LC, just remain focused on it and just the sheer concern of 'how i'm going to do?' tells me that you will do fine. don't rely on luck(maybe for the english poets:P) or any other crap, do your work and do it well. you will be rewarded accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

Einstein? wrote: »
    go away with your ****e.

there is no such condition in maths, it's just poor teaching. if you get a poor maths education when you're young, don't expect to be a genious in maths when you're doing the lc. if you have these bad roots at maths, you won't get anywhere. it's not only the primary>secondary school progression, it's also the secondary school> 3rd level education transition. i see people failing maths all the time, finding it extremely hard. and these people are genuinely bright peeps, not some laid back don't-do-any-study heads. you want to know why? it's because they did ordinary level maths, yes they got an A1 so what. the whole maths education in this country is fcked because of putting children on different boats at an early age, incredibly bad look towards maths "OHH NO NUMBERS, OHH NO LETTERS wtf DO I DO?". then you have the two boats of OL and HL.

please take back all your crap about disleksia my a*hole.

maths teachers suck. i had the good fortune of having a brilliant teacher, that's why i got a b1 hl in the lc.

don't let all this dyscalculi ****e let you down.

--

OP good luck with your LC, just remain focused on it and just the sheer concern of 'how i'm going to do?' tells me that you will do fine. don't rely on luck(maybe for the english poets:P) or any other crap, do your work and do it well. you will be rewarded accordingly.

To be fair, I wouldn't call it "****e". It's a real condition, and if the OP really has profound difficulty understanding maths then it may well be worth looking into.

That said, it could also be a dire standard of teaching, as you say. But you shouldn't just denounce a legitimate suggestion because you have contempt for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Cyzrane wrote: »
    To be fair, I wouldn't call it "****e". It's a real condition, and if the OP really has profound difficulty understanding maths then it may well be worth looking into.

That said, it could also be a dire standard of teaching, as you say. But you shouldn't just denounce a legitimate suggestion because you have contempt for it.

Citation needed.

It's not a legitimate suggestion, it's an excuse to simply bad teaching. Mathematics is an extremely difficult subject to teach. You can have a teacher do 100 questions on the board (be it algebra, differentiation, or w/e). You can also have the same teacher, seat down with the student, and make him feel comfortable with maths by guiding him step by step. Gradually decreasing the amount of help you give to the student until he/she can do it all by him/herself. Compare that student, to the student who was put in front 100 q's.

Besides, it's not only a matter of bad teaching, but a matter of this strange fear and immediate repulsion that some students have towards maths which they develop as a result of initial bad teaching. In the end of the day, this terrorism that maths brings upon students might as well be called a 'medical condition'. Learning is a fundamental thing, and every child can learn - some to greater or lesser extent that the next, not because of some malfunction in the brain, but because of that child willingness to learn. The requisite is simple for mathematics, yet people endorse it and complicate it making it seem almost impossible and indigenous to students as they grow up and are left in an oblivious land.

With all that in mind, the teaching is not being changed but the content is being changed. Have you seen the new log tables? "People" say now maths is a piece of cake with all the new 'easy' content. Those people are you and me, who have done the now proceeding maths course. Yet, it won't fix anything as long as you don't change the methods of teaching. The next generation will come along, they will seat down with their fancy log tables and be put on the same boat just as you and I were.

Please, don't mention disleksio or w/e it's called again. It's b u l l s h i t and just another idea to get research funding and medical accreditation. It should be illegal if you ask me, but that's life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Einstein? wrote: »
    Citation needed.

The World Health Organisation considers it one, though maybe they are part of your great 'hide the bad teaching' conspiracy.

OP - I think your questions have been answered, both on thread and in PM. PM me if you'd like this re-opened.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement