Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear & Netopia Router Problem

• 16-07-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I purchased a top of the range Netgear router a few months ago - I think it's this one

Unfortunately the netgear only works as a router - there isn't a modem in it. Therefore I'm forced into still using the Netopia router and connecting the netgear one through it.

Everything worked fine for a few a weeks but then one day the netgear wouldn't pick up the internet connection. The netgear router is still working as I can connect to it locally. I haven't been able to connect to the internet using it since.

Any suggestions on how I get the netgear working again?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Please please please:rolleyes: When posting you need to give a lot more information than you have given - that saves basic information being excruciatingly extracted over numerous questions.

And the first and the most basic question is have you established whether or not your internet is still working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

dub45 wrote: »
    Please please please:rolleyes: When posting you need to give a lot more information than you have given - that saves basic information being excruciatingly extracted over numerous questions.

And the first and the most basic question is have you established whether or not your internet is still working?

Well what do you need to know?

The internet still works when I'm using the netopia router.
    The netgear was connected by cable to an Ethernet port on the netopia router.
    I use a wireless connection to connect to the netgear/netopia router (i.e. don't use Ethernet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Any suggestions at all??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Shane732 wrote: »
    Any suggestions at all??

basically you havnt given us much to go on - did you set the netopia to bridge mode? because you will need to in order for it to feed adsl across to the router (which in this case doesnt contain a modem) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Damien360

A wild stab in the dark here.

Turn off the wireless function on the netopia in advanced setup. See if you can also turn off DHCP function.

Plug the netgear with wireless on in to the netopia. The netgear menu system is simple and should be simple to setup.

Now set all your IP addresses on every single device to fixed addresses. Do not allow DHCP acquisisiton of IP address. Once you set the fixed IP's in the dymanic range of the netopia it should work.

That way the netgear is functioning only as a wireless router and the netopia is the modem.

I cannot see why that would'nt work but it's been a while since I had a netopia. Can't see why bridge mode is needed. As far as I remember bridge mode did not work on the netopia. (might have changed depending on age of model)

Or you could just bite the bullet and buy a netgear router/modem combo in any online store. Should be 50 to 60 quid. If you are on eircom that is no problem and they allow it. Just take down the settings before switching over. Password is generic as it uses your telephone line to check the account.

• Advertisement

What way did you set up the netopia and netgear when you first got the netgear? (See what I mean about getting information by dripfeed?)

Damien360 wrote: »
    A wild stab in the dark here.

Turn off the wireless function on the netopia in advanced setup. See if you can also turn off DHCP function.

Plug the netgear with wireless on in to the netopia. The netgear menu system is simple and should be simple to setup.

Now set all your IP addresses on every single device to fixed addresses. Do not allow DHCP acquisisiton of IP address. Once you set the fixed IP's in the dymanic range of the netopia it should work.

That way the netgear is functioning only as a wireless router and the netopia is the modem.

I cannot see why that would'nt work but it's been a while since I had a netopia. Can't see why bridge mode is needed. As far as I remember bridge mode did not work on the netopia. (might have changed depending on age of model)

Or you could just bite the bullet and buy a netgear router/modem combo in any online store. Should be 50 to 60 quid. If you are on eircom that is no problem and they allow it. Just take down the settings before switching over. Password is generic as it uses your telephone line to check the account.

Given that the op purchased Netgear's top router there is not much point in just using it as a wireless point surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Agreed.
    AFAIK, Bridge mode works on all Netopia. Bridge mode (DSL Modem only) is the way to go.

You do have to edit the WAN settings on the Netgear and make sure you have used the 5th ethernet wan port and it's the ONLY thing plugged into Netopia and cycle power on bothe for the Netgear to get the Public IP via Bridged modem.

Of course if it's a Netgear with DSL modem and RJ11 phone jack instead of 5th ethernet WAN port you can't use the Bridge mode and only need to connect the Netgear direct to phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Damien360

dub45 wrote: »
    Given that the op purchased Netgear's top router there is not much point in just using it as a wireless point surely?

It does not have a modem built in. As dub45 said, the info given is crap and I made a wild stab at it based on the usual questions asked concerning the netopia. Bets on that there is a PS3 involved and he needs NAT2. Not an issue when wired but an issue for wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Netgear needs connected to Netopia by Cat5e. Wan port to any port on Netopia. Disable any Netopia wifi/DHCP/NAT etc and using "Expert mode" put it in Bridge.

On the netgear you then setup whatever DMZ, port forwarding or what ever and anything using port forwarding or DMZ should use Static IP outside the DHCP range that the Netgear is given to issue.

WiFi vs ethernet on LAN is irrelevant, as the WiFi is bridged to the VLAN that has the four ethernet LAN ports. Any device can be on Cat5e or WiFi as long as it has the DMZ IP or IP ports forwarded to, as desired.

There is a forum for this stuff http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34

• Advertisement
Advertisement