Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please delete my account

Options
  • 16-07-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

in relation to sorry wrong link

can you make my ban permanent and delete my account please. Not int in silly mod games

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

in relation to this

can you make my ban permanent and delete my account please. Not int in silly mod games

Thanks

That link is just a link to the feedback forum.

If you want your account closed, then email hello at boards.ie requesting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Can you post the correct link please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

Spear wrote: »
    That link is just a link to the feedback forum.

If you want your account closed, then email hello at boards.ie requesting it.
    sorry wrong link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

So you didnt listen to the mods warning and argued on thread and now you're throwing your toys out of the pram cause you got a ban? Scramble your password and go enjoy the other sites you speak of :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So long farewell, auf weidersehen adieu.

Boards.ie does not delete accounts or posts but if you wish your account closed then email
    Hello@boards.ie and the staff will guide you through the process.

The personal issues forum (and subforums) is one of the most strictly modded forums on the site, your posts were off topic and you failed to heed a mods warning and continued to post in a manner not fitting with the fourm.

But as you have stated the internet is large and wide and you can post on many other sites so So long farewell, auf weidersehen adieu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Silverfish politely asked you and antoher member to stsay on topic and informed you of the consequences of failing to do so you reply with this...
    If you want to ban me go ahead. I will not be begging to return. If you do ban me please make it permanent and delete my posts. .Boards is just one of a million internet site and not very important in my life. That remark is petty and more of the heavy handed modding here.

To be rather frank about this you are showing yourself in a very immature light by respomding in such a manner and then starting a thread in feedback to try and draw some attention to yourself.

If you dont like how you were treated the internet is a very vast place full of topical teen forums for you to visit. There was no heavy handed modding, you were politely asked, you failed to follow a simple direction and were banned.

Sorry but you win no sympathy, and the "close my account" in the vain attempt to gain some doesnt work, if you dont want to be here, dont log on to boards.

The PI forum is taken pretty serious, due to its nature and provides a great service for people -however it requires alot of modding by members that are doing it out of their spare time, they really generally dont have the time to be more lenient.

All that being said, perhaps after some reflection - some day you will come back and visit us again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You know, you could just go away. The fact that you want to make a song and dance about it, and start new threads professing how much you don't want to be here, just makes me think you're an attention seeker who won't be happy until you get that ban so that you can then complain about it in the Prison forum. This place has far too many drama queens, and would be a lot better if they just went somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ReginaII

It's interesting that a poster feels so aggrieved, over something which is reasonably trivial, that he wants to leave boards and unsubscribe, and is obviously upset by his experience of boards.

The reaction is, by this stage, fairly predictable, which is to to attack the poster, tell him he is a drama queen, an attention seeker, immature and so on, with one senior member appearing to take pleasure out of the whole situation by opening with "So long farewell, auf weidersehen adieu..."

It's sad to see a poster who is upset by his experience on boards,ie being treated in such a cavalier and, frankly, rude way, with some acting like a pack with the cyber equivalent of dancing on his grave.

It is a well known path in business to start to take ones customers for granted and historically, for many businesses, it has heralded the beginning of their end. I'm sure that those who appear to take pleasure in this sort of thing don't think in these terms, but if this is the mindset of boards.ie, or those who are charged with running boards.ie, then it seems that unless there is a realisation that customers are a limited resource, and to be rude to them and abuse them after they have had a poor, or upsetting, experience on boards.ie is not likely to, ultimately, prove beneficial to boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Yeah, except he's not a customer. It's like the difference between someone standing outside a shop warning people not to spend their hard earned because they received bad service, an some stranger stopping you outside merrion square and tellin you they will never go in there again because a park warden ticked them off for spitting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ReginaII wrote: »
    one senior member appearing to take pleasure out of the whole situation by opening with "So long farewell, auf weidersehen adieu..."
    On this point I would agree. Just point them in the direction of the account closure process and let that be that.
    The triumphalism doesn't reflect well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I feel that if some 'customers' are ruining other 'customers' experience of boards, then a warning is necessary.

In Personal Issues, people will post looking for advice. They do not post looking for their thread to be hijacked by squabbles between posters that have nothing to do with their issue. So in that instance, I will politely ask the posters to stop. If they do not stop and ignore warnings, then for the sake of the other 'customers' it's best that they are unable to post for a period of time.

The personal issues charter is quite clear. I don't think anyone can claim they are not warned about what can happen.

I'd imagine if off-topic posting was allowed to continue, there would be many other posters upset that they are not receiving the advice they are seeking, and have to sift through squabbles and chatter to see posts that are actually of assistance to them. I don't see how stopping that from happening can be perceived as bad 'customer service'.

I certinaly don't take pleasure in someone quitting the site in a huff,
    nor do I take pleasure in watching posters break the rules of one of the forums I mod
    and then get shirty when one of my co mods warns them, there were posts by PrimalTherapy deleted out of that thread.

I also don't take pleasure in the fact that he doesn't want to learn the difference between PI and the rest of the site, the PI mod always try and explain the forum,
    it's premise and strict rules to posters new to posting in it.

He got a warning and a first offence 1 week ban which would have been reduced if he had of said, sorry I didn't read the rules or I wasnt' aware of them.

Instead there is all sorts of snide and smart comments in this thread and other threads in feedback about power tripping mods and he has stated there are other sites he prefers so let him off, I wish him well if he wishes to no longer post here cos he doesn't get the rules and thinks he can post any why he wishes.

But if he wishes to enguage with the PI mods or the Soc cat mods to continue post and to learn where the lines are, he's still welcome to but if he determined to go then I wish him well, as that is what I do when someone makes a fuss and says they are leaving.

Good bye, take care, have a nice trip, hope you find what you are looking for, Bon Voyagey.

So ReginaII who's alt account are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

tbh wrote: »
    Yeah, except he's not a customer.
    Silverfish wrote: »
    I feel that if some 'customers' are ruining other 'customers' experience of boards, then a warning is necessary…The personal issues charter is quite clear. I'd imagine if off-topic posting was allowed to continue….
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    I certinaly don't take pleasure in someone quitting the site in a huff,
    nor do I take pleasure in watching posters break the rules of one of the forums I mod
    and then get shirty when one of my co mods warns them, there were posts by PrimalTherapy deleted out of that thread.

I also don't take pleasure in the fact that he doesn't want to learn the difference between PI and the rest of the site, the PI mod always try and explain the forum,
    it's premise and strict rules to posters new to posting in it.

He got a warning and a first offence 1 week ban which would have been reduced if he had of said, sorry I didn't read the rules or I wasnt' aware of them.

Instead there is all sorts of snide and smart comments in this thread and other threads in feedback about power tripping mods and he has stated there are other sites he prefers so let him off, I wish him well if he wishes to no longer post here cos he doesn't get the rules and thinks he can post any why he wishes.

But if he wishes to enguage with the PI mods or the Soc cat mods to continue post and to learn where the lines are, he's still welcome to but if he determined to go then I wish him well, as that is what I do when someone makes a fuss and says they are leaving.

Good bye, take care, have a nice trip, hope you find what you are looking for, Bon Voyagey.

While THB seems to think that people who use this site are not “customers”, Silverfish at least seems to realise that this sites success, or failure, rests with trying to encourage people to visit and use the site.

Perhaps that’s the problem, that no one seems in the least concerned that a customer (yes a CUSTOMER) of this site feels so aggrieved that he wants to leave the site and delete his account.

It may well be that he was the worst customer the site ever had. Every business has many customers of varying quality, and some might even judge that he is better off gone.

However, to appear to “dance on his grave” can serve no purpose other than to aggrieve him even more, which seems not only pointless by can only serve for him to tell more people (potential or existing customers) of his experience, and bad mouth boards.

Lets hope he took Thaedydal’s
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    So long farewell, auf weidersehen adieu.
    in the manner in which Thaedydal says he meant it, although it still comes over to me as a triumphialist dancing on the grave.

Perhaps a mod “ticking off” someone in a forum is not the best way of letting someone know they are in breach of some rule or other? By observation, it seems to allow these sorts of situation arise and mods are not always as tactful, in public, as they might be. That seems to give rise to situations which does the opposite of taking the heat out of situations. Moderators are human, but all too often they seem to take delight out of being less than tactful or thinking about the longer term consequence of their actions, where it means boards.ie loses customers.

Perhaps boards.ie has not been effective in ensuring the moderators do think of, and treats, all users as customers, to stem the flow of people here that leave as the result of being dealt with is a less than polite manner.

Being polite does not mean someone should get away with breaking rules, but it does mean they are less likely to (a) leave the site and (b) less likely for the situation to become inflamed and (c) less likely, if they do leave the site, to bad mouth it to others.

That’s why I say that, if a business such as boards, continues to be rude to customers, and if no steps are taken to rectify this, then it is unlikely to be beneficial to boards long term future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ReginaII wrote: »
    While THB seems to think that people who use this site are not “customers”, Silverfish at least seems to realise that this sites success, or failure, rests with trying to encourage people to visit and use the site.

it's not a case of me "seeming" to think that people who use this site are not customers, I definitely, unambiguously think that people who use this site are not customers.

I think what would be most beneficial to boards long term future is to make sure that the muppetry the OP displayed in the thread they were very keen to draw our attention to is not tolerated, and that if the OP cannot accept that, or insists on having a massive hissy fit, then they are removed from the site. I don't see why the site should pander to people like the OP, when the vast majority of users use the site every day with nothing but positive experiences. but maybe that's just me.

Posters are not customer and mods are not staff/employees.

This is a private website, to post on it you must agree to the rules, to post in each forum you agree to be bound by the rules of that forum which the mods enforce.

Break the forums rules you get banned (sometimes warned first if you are lucky),
    if a poster can't abide by those rules they are free to leave the site.

If someone makes that choice and isn't bothered learning the nuances of the site and it's many varied forums and communities then good luck to them.

It's not my job or the job of any mod to try and get them to stay and he wasn't treated unreasonably but he reacted unreasonably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Members of this site are not our customers. The day we start thinking of them in those terms is a dark day indeed.

Being a part of this site is a two way thing. There aren't a huge amount of rules, but we do expect people to learn them and follow them. The OP here didn't seem inclined to want to figure out the way PI works and despite warnings, continued to break the rules. If that incident alone has said to him that this site isn't his cup of tea, then fair enough. It's not like every forum on this site works the way PI does.

So Regina II, for someone with 2 posts, only in this thread, you seem to know a lot about how this place works and opinions on how it should. Why not tell us who you really are so that it might lend your arguement some credibility. It's hard to take anyone who signs up just to take a swing at the site seriously when they're not prepared to do it openly. Seems to me that you're just someone with a grudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with tbh and Thaedydal (Is that the hardest name to spell on boards? How on earth do you pronounce it, anyway?! :D Anyone? Bueller?) edit: and Dav, who posted while I was writing this, that posters aren't customers. Don't Boards get something like €10 per 10,000 ad views? (I remember someone like Darragh or Devore quoting a figure one time on some thread, though not sure that's the correct one, but I think it's something like that. Does anyone know the correct figure?) So therefore, anyone that views an ad on boards is directly contributing to Boards income, whether they be a poster or a lurker, and thus surely both must be classed as customers? As posters tend to encourage more ad views than lurkers, then surely they're a better class of customer than lurkers? No posts=no views=no ad revenue, or any other kind of revenue either, I'd imagine. Actually, this is one of the reasons I get slightly distressed reading old threads when I see someone with 1000's of posts who is banned. I think they must have contributed a lot to Boards over their time here, both in ad revenue and making it an interesting place for people to visit. Surely, in most cases, something like ever doubling ban-lengths or 6 months or a year's ban would have been enough to give everyone more than enough time to step back and re-assess their interactions? And thereby allow Boards to make more ad revenue etc in the future, and the poster not to have such a total failure with their Boards' experience, despite all they've contributed?

Dav wrote: »
    Members of this site are not our customers. The day we start thinking of them in those terms is a dark day indeed.

That’s often the reaction in many businesses by those who manage them, and the “we’ve always done it this way and we have no intention of changing” is really not an argument.
    Being a part of this site is a two way thing. There aren't a huge amount of rules, but we do expect people to learn them and follow them.

I agree. What I said was that “ticking off” someone in a forum is not the best way of letting someone know they are in breach of some rule or other.

So Regina II, for someone with 2 posts, only in this thread, you seem to know a lot about how this place works and opinions on how it should. Why not tell us who you really are so that it might lend your arguement some credibility. It's hard to take anyone who signs up just to take a swing at the site seriously when they're not prepared to do it openly. Seems to me that you're just someone with a grudge.

I was hoping that an opinon could be taken on its merits. Its disappointing that you seem to be wanting to avoid discussion and the argument, and resort to trying to attack the person making it. Or have I misread that? Certainly, I hope so, as if that is the modus operandi of the manager of the site, then its unlikely this will change.

For your information, I don’t have another profile on the site and left it some time ago as I was not impressed with other similar situations to those I have already listed. I no longer even live in Ireland and moved to the USA a couple of years ago. I am saddened that you should consider someone who is offering their opinion as taking “a swing at the site”, which is an incorrect assumption and seems to indicate that you are not open to considering how to make the site better.

That’s why I left boards a couple of years ago. I’m educated to a reasonably high level, hold a good job, (am now working with the American Government) and my friends consider me to be a balanced, normal person who is neither hysterical or given to emotional outbursts. I didn’t like it when I saw others being ticked off in public on boards, and further didn’t like it when some of those charged with maintaining order on boards seems to like to increase the emotional tempo of situations, which resulted in a ticking off turning into what seemed like threats against threats.

That this behaviour appears to be condoned by the managers of this site is a disappointment to me, and I had hoped that the site might have matured to a point where it could consider what is intended as constructive criticism seriously, rather than ignoring the substance and trying to attack the individual or leaping to the assumption that the individual is taking “a swing” at the site, as a means of avoiding examining the issue.

• Advertisement

It's not that hard to copy and paste it and yes it is pronounce able.

In this case the person who got a weeks ban has decided to leave the site themselves,
    thier choice. We have 10o0s of people reading and posting to pi/ri everyday and none of them manage to post in a manner which break the rules and I am not going to loose sleep over one person who has broken the rules and then strops off.

If they had of wished how the forum and site works explained to to them then any of the pi/ri mods would have been happy to but no they choose to leave which they have every right to.

Site bans do not happen lightly and are done for the good of the communities here as some people are time sinks and become more trouble then they are worth contribution wise to the site.

Please note that PrimalTherapy hasnt' been site banned only issued a 1 week ban from one of the over 500 (or is it over 800 at this stage) forums on the site.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We've already commented far too much on this swan song. If the OP wishes to delete his account he can mail hello@boards.ie and we'll take care of it.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement