Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site looks different on different browsers

Options
  • 16-07-2010 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    having a site developed but it looks different on firefox from explorer and different again on chrome.

The alignment can be out, purple boxes appear, it appears darker etc....

Anyone know what has gone wrong?

Is it a fatal flaw? Think it was designed on a mac.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Browsers are notorious for rendering sites differently (mostly Internet Explorer).

Internet Explorer doesn't pick up on some properties. For e.g. 'align=center' doesn't work.. You have to have style="margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto" to center certain things. Also specific numbers and px are not recommended, try going for percentages.

There are a lot of different alignment and colour issues. Personally, I would try getting everything working in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari etc as they all render roughly the same, Internet Explorer 7 and below renders differently.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It can be tough alright. But the first thing I'd do is ensure the XHTML/HTML is compliant using the validators.. That's a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Is someone else doing this for you.

If so, make the developer aware of the issue and tell them to fix it. I would expect any site to work in Firefox, IE 7+ and Chrome/Safari. If not, then then designer or developer isn't doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Yeah someone else is doing it.

Tbh I expected it to work properly across all of those browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

p wrote: »
    Is someone else doing this for you.

If so, make the developer aware of the issue and tell them to fix it. I would expect any site to work in Firefox, IE 7+ and Chrome/Safari. If not, then then designer or developer isn't doing their job.

^ This.

Small differences may be acceptable across the browsers but your site should still be looking and functioning well in them all.

If the site is being actively developed, chances are your developer just hasn't hit the browser testing phase yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Some things can't be gotten rid of afaik, like the brown 1px border that appears in text input fields in Chrome when they get focus. I hate that stupid brown border.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

murphaph wrote: »
    Some things can't be gotten rid of afaik, like the brown 1px border that appears in text input fields in Chrome when they get focus. I hate that stupid brown border.

Pretty sure you can get rid of that easily enough (example on google.com) but can't think of it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cheers scott, never noticed it wasn't there on Google...it's there even on some big email provider sites (hotmail etc. ao assumed it was a feature). Must be some way of getting rid of it so....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Think it was designed on a mac.
    That shouldn't matter. If the development is standards compliant, the site will look consistent on standards-compliant browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

murphaph wrote: »
    the brown 1px border that appears in text input fields in Chrome when they get focus.
    It's a blue border isn't it?

outline: none; on the form element gets rid of that anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement