Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question from a non-techie

Options
  • 16-07-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all

I have mobile broadband and a mobile from Meteor

Is it possible to get a smartphone that I could use to (via WiFi?) connect my laptop to the net?

Or am I talking ****e?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

So you want to get rid of the mobile dongle?

Yes it is possible to use the phone to make the data connection so you can browse on the laptop. You can either using wifi using an app like joiku. This is quite tough on the phone for long periods.

You would be best of, connecting the phone to the laptop using usb cable, which is called tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭crazydude

Davy wrote: »
    So you want to get rid of the mobile dongle?

Yes it is possible to use the phone to make the data connection so you can browse on the laptop. You can either using wifi using an app like joiku. This is quite tough on the phone for long periods.

You would be best of, connecting the phone to the laptop using usb cable, which is called tethering.

Thanks for the reply...
    Yes, doing so will save me €20 a month

Which phone works best at this?

Well it doesnt really matter a huge amount, most will now do the job, but you would want something 3G and for best results with HSDPA and HSUPA

I'm thinking of the Samsung Wave??

Ye its hsdpa capable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

It would work but not sure how this will save you money? You will need to pay for a fixed line broadband subscription to gain access to wifi at home.

If not and you connect through 3G you will be charged the standard data rate from the mobile network which is generally a lot more expensive than the charging they use for mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    It would work but not sure how this will save you money? You will need to pay for a fixed line broadband subscription to gain access to wifi at home.

no he won't...you obviously don't know what he's asking, he wants to share the data connection from his phone over WiFi to allow him to connect to the net.

All he needs to do is get a data package added to the plan on his phone, and an app that allows him to share this connection via WiFi (and obviously a phone with WiFi capability)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mmm i have HTC HD2 and i can make a wifi hot spot with it...its hard on the battery though...you need to have a decent data package to be able to use it properly though

Btw im on meteor bill pay with a data package

What package are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

I would recommend you retain the data sim, get rid of any internet add on with the mobile and get something like a mobile broadband wireless router so you can access the internet through this from a laptop or phone and it's the cheapest way of getting data. Tethering from your phone is very hard on battery. If you are subscribed to Meteor broadband to go, you can also use any eircom hotspot free of charge.

Check out adverts.ie for something very suitable

• Advertisement

crazydude wrote: »
    What package are you on?

smart 30 200 mins and texts + 1gb data

30 euro a month...

does me the job anyway for on the go internet...though he is right streaming wifi is costly on the battery...though i only use the cable, saves battery and provides faster connection...

My advice above was made with the assumption that the normal mobile phone data allowance was insufficient for your needs. However it seems you're happy with 1 gb to use on your phone and laptop so some form of using your phone as a modem seems to be the way to go

Hi Plu & evolutionqy7

To be honest I'm not sure how to run with this.

I don't know if 1 gb is enough. I am wondering if it is not could I go up to the next level without a penalty? I'll ring them...

As I currently use the 30 day pass (€20) so free hotspots are no real advantage

Plu can you like to an example of the device you are talking about as I'm not too sure what you mean.

The Wave is €79 on the package mentioned above btw

Thanks guys..

crazydude wrote: »
    Hi Plu & evolutionqy7

To be honest I'm not sure how to run with this.

I don't know if 1 gb is enough. I am wondering if it is not could I go up to the next level without a penalty? I'll ring them...

As I currently use the 30 day pass (€20) so free hotspots are no real advantage

Plu can you like to an example of the device you are talking about as I'm not too sure what you mean.

The Wave is €79 on the package mentioned above btw

Thanks guys..

well as far as i know you can upgrade to higher one without penalty but you have to wait a few months to downgrade...lets say for some one that likes to go on youtube alot listen to online radio or download a few songs 1gb would be little

hes talking about this

One of these would be better than one of these suggested by evolutionqy7

Advertisement