Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Release of Back To The Future.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

D-FENS wrote: »
    Hey, anyone know how long this will run for, in Vue specifically?
    My son and I are big fans but I won’t get the chance to go until the Bank Holiday weekend :(

Also, no one has mentioned any graphics updates, is there any in it?

Thankfully no, the picture is really clear and crips, but the effects are gloriously 80's as they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Went to see it in vue for the 16.20 show yesterday.

there was only about a dozen people in it but TBH i didnt care.

ususally i sit up the back but to get the full effect i moved over halfway down to get the "big screen" effect.

the sound did seem a little off and the picture wasnt the best but besides that i had a great time.

you forget just how many one liners are in this film and the sheer power of the music, especially when you consider the whole last act (with the clock tower to marty getting home ) is basically silent

you really begin to appreciate christopher loyds skill as a character actor when you look at it that way. in fact as a much older cinema goer now i see just how WELL the entire cast works. crispin glover is amazing and if biff tannen isnt one of the best film baddies (for its cert) to grace the screen no one is.

all in all though is a great little film that holds up ridiculously well which still imparts all the charm and warmth it had the first time around

EDIT.

Oh and for those interested vue seem to be going to 21.00 and 23.20 for the rest of this week, then its down to one 21.00 show for all of next week so i reckon it'll be gone after that. get to see it quick if you want to see it.

today is the last day showing a 16.20 show there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Was in Cineworld for the 18.20 last night.

80% capacity i reckon with people cheering at the end.
    Great atmosphere.

Cineworld also have more listings for the film into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Just back from Vue with my 10 year old and it was brilliant. We both loved it :) It was the first time my 10 year old had seen BTTF and he didn’t move from start to end. Cinema was virtually empty but didnt bother me.

A while since I watched it myself tbh and have to agree with the comments above about the one liners. Felt the quality of the movie was excellent along with super sound.

Get to see it while ya can folks - all ready have the blu ray order in for Crimbo box :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭La frog fairy

AH nice, what an old movie to bring back, whats the soundtrack like again, totally 80s?

it would actually be pretty cool to see it again, perfct sunday movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

yeah i hated that f*cker....he laughed more at the trailer for little fockers.....we should kill him!

There was only one littel focker in that cinema...

*BAZING!*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »
    There was only one littel focker in that cinema...

*BAZING!*

i tired as hard as i could not to thank that post but for sheer joke sh!tness it deserved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Went to see this last night and still loved it. It was great having the audience cheer when George hit Biff and for Doc saying, "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Went last night 9pm in Vue

I am so gald i went to see it in the cinema, I was grinning my way through most of it, my GF had only seen bits of it before and she loved it, will watch the other 2 over the weekend

The cinema was 3/4 full which wasn't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Went to see this with my older brohther in Dundrum last night. It was great to see it again in the cinema after all these years having originally seen it in the Adelphi on Abbey St. New Years Eve 1985 and it certainly hasn't lost any of it's charm. There was a small group of young kids there and they were laughing a lot particularly with any scene with doc brown in it.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and is definitely up there for me with Inception for the best trip to the flicks this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Went to see it myself on Thursday. It was FANTASTIC! Definately worth going to see and the funny thing is that it was probably the best thing I've seen in the cinema in the last year as well. It really brought back some memories.

Like others have said, the casting for BTTF was genius. Christopher Lloyd is an incredibly talented actor and himself and Michael J. Fox played really well of each other. (eg the scene where Loreane follows Marty back to Docs house to ask him to the dance). This movie wouldn't have worked if MJF didn't play Marty either. Its hard to believe that when they began shooting, Eric Stoltz was playing Marty - Zemeckis just wasn't happy with it and reshot the movie from the start with MJF when he became available. You don't hear of that kinda committment these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Went to see this on Saturday afternoon with my sister. I was only 1 when this was released and my sis wasn't even born so we were really looking forward to seeing this on the big screen even though we had seen it many times as kids. It didn't disappoint! Of course the effects looked dated but this time I got the humour more. Life preserver...way over my head as a kid :)....yes, I wasn't the smartest kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

And here is some footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty with explanations as to why they ditched FIVE weeks of shot film to bring in Fox.

While it undoubted that Fox helped make these films the classics they are, its weird just how not-out-of-place Stoltz looks in these clips. What a kick in the teeth it must have been for him.

This clip is from the upcoming Blu-Ray release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Apparently, not that much of a kick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future#Casting
    Four weeks into filming, Zemeckis decided Stoltz was miscast. Although he and Spielberg realized reshooting the film would add $3 million to the $14 million budget, they decided to recast. Spielberg explained Zemeckis felt Stoltz was too humorless and gave a "terrifically dramatic performance". Gale further explained they felt Stoltz was simply acting out the role, whereas Fox himself had a personality like Marty McFly. He felt Stoltz was uncomfortable riding a skateboard, whereas Fox was not. Stoltz confessed to director Peter Bogdanovich during a phone call, two weeks into the shoot, that he was unsure of Zemeckis and Gale's direction, and concurred that he was wrong for the role.

Ah interesting. Echoes of Stuart Townsend and The Lord of the Rings. Worked out best for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,855 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi Folks,

Just wanted opnions as to whether or not you think I should go and see this film on the big screen. I have seen it about 4-5 times on the small screen and was wondering is it worthwhile seeing it at the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yes.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I can't believe they actually shot 5 weeks with Stoltz. I always thought it was a week at most. Given that Marty is in almost every scene, that's an extraordinary amount of footage to reshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yes.

and if thats a bit unclear:

F*CK YES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just wanted opnions as to whether or not you think I should go and see this film on the big screen. I have seen it about 4-5 times on the small screen and was wondering is it worthwhile seeing it at the cinema?

You joking? best thing I've seen in the cinema all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I can't believe they actually shot 5 weeks with Stoltz. I always thought it was a week at most. Given that Marty is in almost every scene, that's an extraordinary amount of footage to reshoot.

yeah, it's incredible isn't it? looking at the stoltz clips (and some stills online), he looks a lot older than MJ, doesn't look like a highschooler at all! i wonder if the blu ray will actually have scenes of him speaking, it'll be like stepping into the twilight zone, watching the exact same back to the future scenes with stoltz instead of mj.. almost like the timeline skewed into this tangent, creating an alternate 1985... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

With Stolz in it, it makes BTTF look more like a straight up horror/thriller rather than the classic comedic drama it became. If you strip out all the laughs and think about the underlying plot it is actually a horrific premise. You accidentally nearly erase yourself from existance and your Mam has the hots for you :eek:

From the look of these Fox/Stoltz comparisons they obviously had plenty of the big expensive scenes in the bag.

back-to-the-future3.jpg

back-to-the-future1.jpg

back-to-the-future2.jpg

Looking at these its hard to imagine the film without Fox becoming anywhere near as iconic as it did. And where's Marty's life preserver!? The Mother fancying her son scenes wouldn't work at all without Fox, they wouldn't come across as funny more like something out of one of those trashy French art-house flicks that used to be on late at night on BBC2....

Anyone else think that he could have worked in 2 though? Less silliness and the serious bits been handled better to give it a more consistent feel?

It does all feel like a creepy alt-universe with everything just slightly out of place, so if anyone has long lost footage of Mathew Modine playing Ferris Bueller keep it to yourselves please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Mother fancying her son scenes wouldn't work at all without Fox, they wouldn't come across as funny more like something out of one of those trashy French art-house flicks that used to be on late at night on BBC2....
    Yeah, I'd say it was when they got to those scenes that they realised they had a problem with Stoltz, who must have been at least half-way decent that they managed to get through 5 weeks of shooting with him.

The stuff with Marty and his mother are probably my favourite scenes in the film. Fox's comic timing is excellent. But they could easily have come across as creepy and cringeworthy, instead of funny and charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Ah interesting. Echoes of Stuart Townsend and The Lord of the Rings. Worked out best for everyone.

And JCVD in Predator

Yeah, I'd say it was when they got to those scenes that they realised they had a problem with Stoltz, who must have been at least half-way decent that they managed to get through 5 weeks of shooting with him.

The stuff with Marty and his mother are probably my favourite scenes in the film. Fox's comic timing is excellent. But they could easily have come across as creepy and cringeworthy, instead of funny and charming.

The look of panic in is eyes as she looks like she is going to jump him at every opportunity is hilarious. I do hope there is some dialog to go along with these clips so its clearer why they were prepared to cut him at the expense of millions (would that happen now?) but his lack of humour in these scenes makes the most sense.

That and Stoltz must have looked ridiculous on a skate board.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

D-FENS wrote: »
    And JCVD in Predator

Actually JCVD stayed working on Prediator as a stunt double and techincal advisor, but thankfully not as the Prediator himself as he was too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Teh Fox Rox

I am sooo bumed out that they arent showing it anywhere in donegal!As far as I know at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement